10900/12700k Cooler recomendation?

Hey all hope you are doing well,ive just started to use a i9 10900 (non K) as my new daily driver until i get my hands on a 12700/900k and its doing pretty well although with a Corsair 240 AIO (H100X) it seems to be hitting 95C under load in blender and just while playing games such as CP2077. I Disabled MCE and dialed the clocks down to 4.6ghz and under load im getting high 60s and low 70s,although im wondering if i should get a new cooler so i can some higher clock speeds and well be able to cool the 12xx CPU so i dont have to upgrade it then, do you guys know of any coolers for under the £150 mark? ive been thinking of going air cooled but im not sure if that would be an option when the new 12xx cpu is underload on all cores.

For that budget you could go anything really, you could wait a little bit for some refreshes and for the midia to do more testing (the current top noctua cpu fan is in budget and artic freezer 360 ii is also in budget and a lot others)

How is the case air intake? If you remove the side or front pannel drops by anything? You are having high ambient temps maybe open a window?

The Intake is 3x 120mm at the front and 2x 120mm at the top for the AIO, the ambient room temp is around 3c so its not that warm in the room, i removed the front and side pannel and notice a few C drop but nothing crazy.

Honestly from what LTT has said about the temps they were getting with an NH-D15 with the 12900k hitting mid 90s stock on it if I remember correctly I would say you would definitely be in NH-D15 and 240mm radiator territory. Also the only reviewer that didn’t feel like the chip was that hot was Jayztwocents who ran it with a 360mm AIO with temps in the 70s. The 12700k is a 190W chip vs the 241W of the 12900k and for once those numbers are pretty accurate of the power draw/heat load you will be dealing with. So honestly for me I would be considering NH-D15 if I didn’t want to deal with the potential of a pump failing or any AIO that has a radiator larger than 240mm so a 280mm or 360mm. Don’t really see a point getting a 240mm AIO because at best they are competitive with the NH-D15 or worst case they perform worse.

What 95c in a 3c room? Did you remove the plastic on the AIO cooler? Is it mounted properly with good spread of termal paste? Is oriented properly?

Most tests are done in like 20c/21c rooms so their 70c temps are +50c over ambient

That’s got to be a typo right? Now I am from the land of Fahrenheit but I don’t know of anywhere that people would keep room ambient as slightly above freezing.

I removed the plastic yes, and i spreaded a even layer of noctua thermal paste over the CPU, the AIO is on the top with intake fans, ill post a picture of the AIO orientation

Nope its around 3c in the room right now due to it being a 1800s house and just moving in the middle of winter so we dont really have any insulation installed or heaters yet and just using GPU mining in my office to keep me warm atm.

What case is that? Am wondering if it maybe doesn’t have that good airflow because unless that cooler just isn’t mounted well it SHOULD not be that hot at that kind of ambient. A lot of a fans doesn’t mean much if it can’t pull air from anywhere.

Another slight possibility it’s probably unlikely but it could be that you may of spread the paste too thinly. Generally Noctua thermal paste does not need to be spread manually it’s designed for getting a good spread.

Anything more than 1x 120mm or above in dimensions, for home use would be considered somewhat of a dust-only intake. Less so with a dust-filter, but not enough for it to actually be useful in most cases.

Of course it also depends on the graphics card, whether or not it runs very hot, but most cards have their own fins, with the fans blowing the air out already. So pushing some air ‘into’ and over the card doesn’t do much, unless the front intake fans are moving lots of air.

The amount of dust that accumulates in a home / room is a lot. So pushing to much air in isn’t recommended for home use. 2x 120mm at top is a good idea though as it can push some air intake up and out, together with the heat emissions from the graphics card. As warm air seeks upwards anyway.

Using the back of the pc case as exhaust doesn’t actually do much in almost every pc case. Unless cpu has an oc on it or graphics card is a beast and used heavily or is overclocked aswell.

Ya a top exhaust is a much bigger impact on cooling in my experience. Working with convection lends better results than working against it by making the air do a 90 degree turn. Even though it’s not OPTIMAL to have that top as intake instead of exhaust those temps still don’t make sense even considering that.

Slight tangent but I wish more cases allowed for bottom to top airflow. As in bottom intake and top exhaust ran it once with one of my cases and was quite pleased with the results, but finding cases that allow for it is difficult.

1 Like

It is a corsair 275R Airflow its not the best, but all i have until i get around to building in the Fractal Torrent

That should have enough airflow I would recommended checking the thermal paste spread and seeing if it looks like it’s too thin or if when you are taking it off if the mounting pressure seems like it might of been loose. Those temps just don’t make sense otherwise with that kind of ambient imo.

I mean the 10900 is hot, but it’s not as hot as the k sku and for a 240mm to not be able to handle it in that kind of ambient just feels like something has to be not right.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.