1 Year Linux Challenge

WoW is pretty much the poster child for Wine stability.

I think that would be Krita.

Scribus comes to mind, but I’ve no experience with it.

Ya it does work really well. I’ve only had it bug out on me once that I can remember.

Like I’m legitimately happy with Linux over all. I’ve been running it on and off on my main computers since Ubuntu 7.10. I’ve been running only Linux on my T420 since basically the day I got it three and a half years ago.

I just hate school, so I’m making it as easy as possible on myself by going with Windows for the time being. Otherwise I’m just going to be even more pissed off and less motivated about spending tens of thousands of dollars for something I could just look up for free on YouTube.

1 Like

Absolutely

Well…

I’m definitely not going to fault you for getting something that works when you’re on a time crunch and this is for a class. Essentially you’ll end up having to learn the PS way and how to translate that into GIMP (or whatever other tools), making your learning experience much more difficult. A more realistic solution might be to learn the exact tools for the class, then try and relate those tools to FOSS things afterwards, on your own time.

As long as you acknowledge to me and Za Warudo that GNU/Linux is far superior, we may let you live

1 Like

That was basically my plan. Don’t think I’ll use Krita much, but definitely gonna hit up GIMP and Darktable cuz I like photography.

Oh. I will not acknowledge then. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I am coming close to 2 years with Solus.

I may try switching to i3wm on CentOS Stream for something completely different.

1 Like

Have you tried installing them via WINE? Or in a virtual machine?

Should work well enough, and you won’t need to waste time rebuilding everything. And snapshots for Windows updates, etc. Then when you’re done, copy the data to your host OS, then trash the VM. :+1:

I have won the 1 year challenge. What do I win? LOL

2 Likes

A life with options and a badge :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Yay. Badge!

3 Likes

Badge comes after write up?
There is a certain harsh taskmaster who might award badges…

(edit, not a window cover… spell check lets me down…)

1 Like

Correct, doesn’t need to be super in-depth, but the goal is to get a sort-of review.

@Whizdumb if you throw up a thread with a review, I’d be happy to assign you the badge.

Today, i was thinking about this thread, and how with the end of the years coming i shouldn’t be to far, so i just checked.

$ sudo tune2fs -l /dev/fedora/root | grep 'Filesystem created'
Filesystem created:       Wed Nov  7 22:37:40 2018

Dammit, missed it by a month !

So, to the write up i guess …
A years ago, i decided that i had enough of windows.
I never where the lucky kid when it come to OS, actually i could say my parent really didn’t want me to do IT.
You see, my first laptop when i was a kid was a Windows ME. Then i got a desktop when i was a teen, it was running Vista 64bit. A couple years later because they didn’t wanted me to get a Windows 7 licenses i upgraded to the Windows 8 Beta. Finally i moved to 8.1 When our school enrolled in Microsoft dreamspark (yay free Key !)

After all of that, i never wanted to move to Windows 10, The privacy issue, the way update are done, the multiple issue people are facing … I liked my Windows 8.1, with a couple of tweak it was the perfect OS to game on.
But with the new’s that new proc wouldn’t run on anything less than Windows 10, i decided to jump the gun.

I’m not new to GNU/Linux, i actually rented my first ubuntu server a long time ago as a teen (to bypass the wifi limit in a resort :blush:). I was very used to Debian, having a nice homelab on it, and at work we were running SUSE 11. I ended up going for Fedora because i wanted to learn the RedHat way of dooing stuff.

I got Fedora 29, with gnome, and i quickly installed KDE over it. It looked to nice ! After a couple week, i found out that it was a bit buggy (duplicate software, and stuff) so i decided to go back to gnome, and purge KDE.
I didn’t know where i messed up, but with it went X11 and all of the graphic and audio stack :face_with_raised_eyebrow::scream: It took me some time to fix it, and it never really was stable again, but it was “good enough” :wink:

Because i still wanted to play, without the tedious setup that wine/lutris looked like, and because i had a mini-itx system in the same box (was a freenas but i moved that away) I installed Windows 8.1 on that.
All my game where put on Steam, and aside from VR which i still do directly on Windows, all of my game are streamed with Steam in home streaming to my GNU/Linux desktop.:stuck_out_tongue:

I learned a lot with this move to GNU/Linux. The desktop world is far from the server one. Fuse mount, Wayland, Proprietary video codec, Gnome Windows like registry … i had a lot of issue who lead every-time to a better understanding of the OS.
3 month ago i upgraded to Fedora 31 with a clean install, and most bothering bug went away.

Would i go back to Windows ? Hell yea ! i never left it actually. For Video production (if i every go back on premier), gaming, weird and old driver for as old and weird hardware… Windows have it’s benefit and nothing is black and white.
But for my day to day OS, I’m happy with GNU/Linux. It fit my way of thinking, and i found workaround for the thing i needed.

And for my final note … because i didn’t think about it while writing
:%s/linux/GNU\/Linux/gi :troll:

OK I start again. No more Adobe needed for school. Subscription has been cancelled.

Manjaro KDE is what I have chosed.

I was going to do Ubuntu 19.10, but when I set up WoW with Lutris it had no picture and the sound would skip like every half second.

I can deal with little hiccups out of the box, but if I can’t play my games it’s a no-go.

So far Manjaro this has been running flawlessly, except for my mouse is double clicking when I try to drag. Not sure if this is a Manjaro thing or my mouse just happened to start dying the day I installed Manjaro. Gotta test other mouses. In terms of gaming it’s great. And I like the AUR.

2 Likes

Completed the Challenge.

3 Likes

Hopped back on linux, i don’t really have any complains other than PUBG not working because EAC is crap.

Current distro is Manjaro with budgie desktop with little customization done to it.

I was suprised a little that BeamNG.Drive performed better trough Proton than native windows. Thanks to proton and lutris, most games that i own does have support or work with either of those. I have few native games too.

1 Like

Cant just stay with one OS. Too many things I need pro-wise from Win10.

Everytime I “retire” a laptop/desktop I try a linux distro, and then eventually forget about it.

Latest is a fresh install of Pop! on a Lenovo Y50 and that might stay around for a while as a net browser and wordprocessor with some light games. Stationed in the shop where its useful for looking up things (Car Hobby) and just read up on stuff.

Ive been critical since my AMD64 and SuSe days, but it seems to improve at a decent pace.

Yeah, i have a dual boot for windows just specific games… nothing else is on it tho… Apex, COD are the only two that I can’t play in Linux… really wish EAC would work on Linux, i’d free up that SSD from windows and make more storage space =D

But so far, Im 15 days in to my year with Linux… I’ve tried several dists over that last 2 weeks… Ubuntu, PopOS, Manjaro… Im now on Linux Mint (Ubuntu derived). Running the Cinnamon DE… Really enjoying it… I liked Manjaro with the Cinnamon DE, but couldn’t get use to pacman…

Welcome!! I started on Mint. I put Plasma DE on it. I went through several distros, Arcolinux has over 1300 youtube vids and Erik has setup a learning path. It is Arch and does use pacman. Good Luck, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. This place is very supportive.

I’m a noob. I cant stand windows anymore, so I’m out. Downloaded Linux Mint, have %90 of the functionality i always had on windows. Linux is much snappier than windows i might add. I just need to figure out how to overclock my Vega 56 (wattman GTK is my next project). Thank you guys for everything, i probably wouldn’t have switched without this forum.

2 Likes

Hi everyone Shadowbane here, I finally built my desktop and the only operating software I have installed is Linux Mint. I originally installed Pop Os but had to destroy it because somehow I corrupted either grub or SystemD. I am not asking for help fixing Pop Os. I am posting to let everyone here know I am committed to only using Linux Mint for one year.

3 Likes