1 Year Linux Challenge

Does it count if you’ve had your second and subsequent PC’s running Linux lol or does it only start when your gaming rig converts

I think its good Linus and Luke are jumping onboard for their challenge as outlined on the last couple wan showa

1 Like

I think it counts if you virtualize Windows (that’s mostly how Wendell uses his, I believe). Bonus points if you use Looking Glass. When I was still using Windows (in the period I used Manjaro), I just passed-through a GPU, SSD and a USB 3.0 PCI-E adapter, with a separate keyboard and mouse (same monitor, on different HDMI input). Only used that for a game that could have probably worked on Steam, but I would have probably gotten banned if I tried.

If you only used your Windows PC as a gaming console, it counts in my book (even though I didn’t do that, but I will probably have a separate Windows box, because shared resources kind of suck), but not sure about this challenge.
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think it should count if you regularly use a linux rig of your own, more often than a windows/mac machine? (but this is not a democracy…)

Like, have a windows PC for work/ occasional games, but Linux for main / browsing / work / entertainment etc?

1 Like

Any mod or admin can give the badge (it’s a manual badge), so if you want the badge uhhhh… reply to this post I guess? Make sure to link any relevant post(s) about your journey.

The OP is a wiki, so feel free to add yourself where you’re at to it.

I’m not sure if anybody is scrolling through this thread checking users for the badge.

2 Likes

Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

HI all,
Been a while since I posted on the forums, so just jumped in to the Linux Category for a look, saw the Linux challenge and thought I would post my journey so far.

I’ve been using Linux both in Virtualization and on bare metal for many years. I have tried many of the Distro’s such as Mint, Manjaro & Fedora but keep coming back to Debian based OS’ such as Pop OS & Ubuntu. Some links to threads where I have asked questions are here:-

Ubuntu 18.04 - General Discussion (second try)

A note to new linux users / new AMD users in linux, about drivers

Intel 3570k NAS Build

X570 Aorus Master audio issue with Linux

Currently, I use Linux (Virtualized) for work. A lot of this requires working in the terminal. I have learned a lot more compared to what I was learning while playing around with the Terminal in my own time.

Hopefully this is enough for me to be awarded my Linux badge :grinning:

1 Like

It occurs to me that I haven’t posted in this thread. I ditched Windows on my main PC in favour of Kubuntu on 18th September, so nearly a month ago \o/ I installed Kubuntu (and later openSUSE) on an old laptop I have about a week earlier.

Sadly I can’t do much about my work laptop because it’s not mine and it has to run a prescribed set of software, but both devices I personally own run Linux.

3 Likes

Today marks day 1 for me on Pop_OS! on a nuc8i7hvk. So far so good beyond a few problems.

6 Likes

I have been on Linux for years, feel free to ask on this forum if you have a concrete problem you can’t solve, but please use a search engine first to check if this has been answered.

Sure thing!

It’s about using Linux as your primary OS.

If you can maintain a passthrough VM, I think that qualifies for sure.

1 Like

how does one go about claiming this badge? I have been using a mix of RHEL and Fedora in my professional and personal life as a daily driver for the best part of 2 years now, am mostly new to this forum though.

1 Like

I @SgtAwesomesauce I too would like to claim my prize!

2 Likes

If you want to claim your prize, please write a blog about your experiences switching to Linux and link it here, I will be awarding badges on the blog posts.

5 Likes

I ran mandrake for about a year in (got tired of Windows ME) 2002-2003 (left it on my laptop but had xp on my new desktop) but since march 4, 2021 I have been daily RHEL so I can be ready for the RHCSA/RHCE exams

4 Likes

Tell us how the exams will go.

2 Likes

Few weeks ago I installed Debain 11 as the doomsday plan for upcoming Windows 11 cluster. There were some initial pains (mainly related to opensource nouveau Nvidia driver - my advice is don’t touch it. It was just too unstable) but I am over the hump now (after biting the bullet and installing the proprietary drivers). I have the system setup now with everything I need and daily driving.

Initially I installed KDE flavour but the whole system crashed after logging into the system. In hindisght it was probably display driver related. So I went XFCE. I’ve grown to it and I’ll stick with it. Some software I am using.
Browser - Ungoogle Chromium Appimage
Mail - SeaMonkey
PDF - Okular Flatpak
Text editor - Bluefish but I intend on finally taking the Vim tutor and give that a go
Media - VLC
Office - Libre Office AppImage and Free Office Online when I need full MS Office compatibility
Rest I am using as much command line utilities as I can so I get more comfortable with it. Some of the command line utilities I am using are rsync, openvpn, youtube-dl, ffmpeg, imagemagik, ghostscript

Maybe after a year I will feel comfortable enough to ditch the GUI more.

Please bring more level 099 content! I am a fan.

3 Likes

@LinusTech Since you’re doing the challenge with Luke. If you manage to do it for a year you get a fancy badge here :wink:

2 Likes

does this count?

i used linux (Mandrake) full time back in the early 2000s. i switched to Debian with the release of Sarge, (2005ish). currently my core is Proxmox (based on Debian) with several headless debian servers, a couple windows servers, a debian laptop, desktop, an OSX VM… and more. That is all just at my house.

honestly back when windows 2000 was a thing, it was easy to switch to a GUI linux distro like Mandrake. The worst part was figuring out where all the buttons got moved to, i spent a half hour trying to find the ‘burn disc’ button in K3b back in the day. But that is no different than MS releasing a new version of office and having to relearn where they shuffled everything off too.

Heh, I was just gonna make a thread about it since I don’t have Floatplane and just got to that video.

Random question, but how do you say “RHEL”? Is it “rell”, or “Arr-Aitch-Ee-Elle”?

1 Like