1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Triple Monitor - Two Computer

Hi All,

I’m looking at possibly purchasing the L1Tech 1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Triple Monitor - Two Computer KVM but want to see if someone can help me understand the setup I’m trying to achieve.

I currently have two machines. One a gaming rig with a 4090 and a single laptop (2022 Asus Zephryus G14) that can video out via a single HDMI port (or via USBC DP-ALT). Do I need an HDMI to 3xDisplayPort 1.4 splitter in order to hook this up to a triple monitor setup to the L1Tech KVM? If so, what splitter is recommended for their product?

If I’m on the wrong track about how this KVM would work, please feel free to post any feedback guidance on the proper way to connect up to 3 displays.

Thank you!
Thanks!

afaik you cannot split your way to triple monitor output… It has to be supported at the graphics card level. If I am wrong about this, then I am going to learn something new and I apologize for the wrong advice.

There are external graphics card holders for laptops enabling a laptop to use a 3rd party graphics card, in your case one with triple monitor support.

In our case, we had a laptop that had a docking station with 2 DP 1.4 ports and 1 USB C Thunderbolt and we achieved double monitor support by connecting both the docking station 's DPs to the KVM and then going from our laptop to the docking station with a single USB 3 thunderbolt connector. That gave us 2 monitors on that laptop.

HTH.

Reading a little more, I see I may be wrong about the splitter after all.

My new problem is I can find all sorts of Display port to HDMI splitters, but not single HDMI in to 3 DP Out splitters. This is going to be a fun rabbit hole :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL looks like I am wrong on this… the limiting factor is your video cards ram. Still not sure though… seems to be the type of splitter you’re looking for…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKQ6R1QW/ref=sspa_dk_offsite_brave_1?aaxitk=fd1c3ee36a947781528fba6ede2e71cb&th=1

Doesn’t exist, at all. Unfortunately. It’s rather difficult to take just 1 HDMI signal and convert it to a singular DisplayPort 1.4 connection, much less triple it.

This is because HDMI → DP 1.4 requires an “active” connection. HDMI has 19 pins. DP has 20. That has to be compensated for. Usually with some sort of circuitry and an additional USB power cord to plug in as well. That being said, it is much easier to go DisplayPort → HDMI, which is why you’re finding 3-way splitters for it.

I would…highly recommend not trying to do this. You’re going to need to go the dock route if you want to use a KVM with a laptop’s 1x HDMI output. Also, just to clarify this as well, your USB-C with DP-ALT connection will also not support splitting to 3 monitors.

I am just going through this debacle as we speak, i am still living it…

Not sure what i can offer on your specific scenario, but my setup is 2 computers and 3 monitors with this L1 KVM 1.4, i just got last week. I was told that i must go 1:1 with video outputs… this is not true !

I have an AMD Gaming system with RTX 3090 (3 DP and 1 HDMI). I run 3 DP’s out of that box into KVM. Second machine is a laptop Dell 5570 precision with WD22TB4 dock (thunderbolt dock). I only run 1 thunderbolt connection from my laptop to the dock, and 3 connections to the KVM (2 x DP 1.4 plus 1 x usb-C out to usb-c to DP cable). I get 3 monitors at 144p, no issues what so ever. This is the least of your worries, its getting your USB peripherals working and switching back and forth that will get you… trust me !

Check out my thread on here where i have pics of my config and issues i have been facing as well

You mean 1440p right?

144 is a valid resolution… for ancient feature phones :rofl:

Its right there below 320 from youtube

1 Like