Zypper won't update my packages

So like the tittle says zypper isn't installing updates. Here is the output:

~> sudo zypper update
[sudo] password for root: 
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

The following 34 package updates will NOT be installed:
  dvdauthor ffmpeg gtk3-branding-openSUSE java-1_8_0-openjdk java-1_8_0-openjdk-headless libavcodec57
  libavdevice57 libavfilter6 libavformat57 libavresample3 libavutil55 libcdr-0_1-1 libe-book-0_1-1
  libGraphicsMagick-Q16-3 libharfbuzz-icu0 libmspub-0_1-1 libpostproc54 libpurple libswresample2
  libswscale4 libvlc5 libvlccore8 libxml2-tools Mesa-32bit ntp python-enum34 ruby2.2 ruby2.2-stdlib
  virtualbox virtualbox-qt vlc vlc-noX vlc-qt xorg-x11-server

Nothing to do.

As you can see there isn't really any errors, So I don't really know where to start here.

1 Like

I used to get that for a couple of packages, can't remember which ones. Well, I assume it still does but PC is packed up for shifting house. Keen to see the answers to this.

You could try,

sudo zypper dup

This normally fixes things for me.

1 Like

Thx I am currently trying this out. I will let you know how it goes.

So I am still unable to install updats to the packages.

Can you try.

sudo zypper inr

sudo zypper inr
[sudo] password for root: 
Retrieving repository 'packman' metadata ..........................................................[done]
Building repository 'packman' cache ...............................................................[done]
Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Update' metadata .......................................[done]
Building repository 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Update' cache ............................................[done]
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.

Alright so it does nothing even though I have 38 packages that are not installing.

From what I have read you may have a conflict where packages exist in more than one repo.

If you have added any repos can you disable them, and we can work from there. I am pretty new to suse so sorry I can't be more help

sudo zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change

is the ideal way update Tumbleweed when you have 3rd party repos.

2 Likes

ahh thank you, I hadn't used dup (only up), as I wasn't sure of what dup did on Tumbleweed. Conflicting opinions seemed to rule the day when I looked.

#refresh cache and dup
sudo zypper refresh ; sudo zypper dup -y

up is equivalent to update && upgrade on apt
dup is equivalent to update && dist-upgrade on apt

Depends, as I have 3rd party that needed to a vendor change to them because OpenSUSE shipped an outdated version of a package where it needed to be the most recent one.

OP, keep that in mind, you will need to think about what you have installed on the system and use the appropriate vendor.

Okay hanks guys.