ZFS vs EXT

Have been aware he’s either thick or deliberately trolling for most of this thread.

edit:
can’t get away with video games while at work waiting on stuff.

And yet Oracle bought Sun largely because of sun tech like ZFS (and dtrace) which runs their databases faster than anything else.

Rather than adding a seperate optane drive as a seperate scratch drive you need to manually maintain by doing the filesystem shuffle, adding optane to ZFS will allow the filesystem to manage it at the block level.

But hey… if you want to waste your time playing file system administrator, manually shuffling data around… go nuts.

What are you going to do if only part of your database is hot?

Yup Larry Ellison himself put out a commandment to make the switch from NetApp to ZFS, and Oracle’s deployment of ZFS became so big that eventually they ended up buying Sun outright :smiley:

1 Like

Well one drive per say is like stupid now…per say. It you want to record hours of full HD video.

Give it 10 years and devices will have mirrored drives. and cloud sold to you via filthy isps that dont download it without extra charges

Not neccessarily, depends on your experience level. I’ve done some bash scripting, and I’m fairly comfortable withterminal (bash), vim, etc. However if you asked me to change the root of a Linux FS to zfs I’d definitely have to do some Google-Fu. Some people prioritize learning the terminal, I prioritize being productive. Automate everything so you don’t have to use the terminal.

in most zfs advantaged applications it doesn’t make a ton of sense (on linux) either. The tradeoff of managing dkms, making sure your kmod is updated in lockstep with your kernel, or patching everything manually yourself etc etc isn’t worth redundancy on a part of the system you rarely write to on a NAS or similar. just throw the / on a usb or an ext partition and maybe back it up with cronjobs

I have to disagree. Look at how easy it is for people to roll their own Linux distro. There’s no reason you couldn’t be building custom tailored OS images for your production systems in a deployment of more than a handful or so servers. You can easily take the centos build system and make a few tweaks to add a package for zfs and remove all the xorg stuff etc and roll your own in-house machine images and private repos etc. There are a lot of advantages to this approach when you’re dealing with production deployments.

Hannah Montana Linux didn’t take a genius.

2 Likes

yeah, different context tho.

works fine in production but im not gonna recommend it to fossgamer420

Sure I was just thinking of

A L1linux would be amusing. But because it to free is not its worth.

This I have to agree with, depending on distro. I generally don’t find the tradeoff worthwhile.

On my server running proxmox, using ZFS is a no-brainer. Support is baked in.

you just know someone at oracle just ran it through sed and did a search and replace…