ZFS port for windows?

I want a plex server and that is all. But I currently have a nas, 3900x, 3950x, and i5 system running all my storage. 3900x is smb shared with all the network shares and plex has hardware transcoding for it. I have a total of 12 hdds running plus 2 ssds for my plex server. I know I should invest in a nas that has 12 bays, but this is what I am dealing with. A ton of hdds with no single computer case that can handle more than 4 hdds.

Disk shelf?

You mean blu ray shelf?

I have all my disks in a fire proof safe.

1 Like

na JBOD

Run cables from HBA to this bad boy and boom tons of drive space
2 Likes

So is that sata or sas? I only have sata drives because of you know thingsā€¦

1 Like

Backplane supports both
Backplane: SAS2-846EL2 so you can use either

1 Like

Why arent you running unraid already? Its made to do exactly what you want to do anyway.

Mainly because I have fragmented hdds. I have a 5 bay nas, a computer with 2 hdds, one with 3 hdds, and 2 with 2 x hdds. It is a cluster fuck just because I have many computers that only support 4 or fewer actual drives.

This is not an excuse since unraid allows you to grow the array one drive at a time and doesnt care about your data fragmentation.

So how should I go about it? Get a second gpu and passthrough a gpu so my secondary desktop can have windows vm?

i need a secondary hdd cage for my 780t

I could part with one of the cages from mine.

As for how you want to do it. I have a dedicated appliance so Iā€™m no help.

I also need a sata expansion card. But this could be done.

This should work.

That ones does not say if it is PCIE 2.0 or 3.0, and it only is a PCIe 1x connector, so if it is PCIe 2.0 then it will have a max of 500mb/s, which might be a bit of a bottleneck for lots of drives. Depends on the drives though, some drives might have only 50mb/s throughput max, others might be 200mb/s.

I think the 3.0 applies to the SATA rather than the PCIe

1 Like

Your right that says 3.0 pcie not pcie 3.0.

I canā€™t find anything that isnā€™t chinese and that says it is pci e 3.0

Thatā€™s fine. Just get one that has a 4x slot (or 8x), not a 1x slot. 4x PCIe 2.0 will get you 2gb/s, which is plenty for 8x hard drives.

What I use is a LSI SAS2008 HBA. They are fairly cheap used, but only available at good prices used.

You might be able to shave a few dollars off if you buy the cables separately, and buy an adapter that needs to be flashed to the HBA IT mode firmware from a RAID card IR mode firmware.

Example:

2 Likes

Just ordered it. Thanks much!

2 Likes