ZFS is pretty dope

Suh dudes.

So I’ve finally created a new server running modern hardware in the 4U chassis I teased about what must have been years ago by now. It’s really nice.

The old server while still functional doesn’t boot, gets hung on swap target found during bootup and sat there for literally a half hour with no progress.

So, the new server runs like the old. Proxmox installed to a ZFS raid10 pool (4x 8TB ty ty I’m very proud) and all of that is well and good and I had setup everything for critical functions to work before transferring data.

And then I get an infinity boot and can’t turn the old machine on to do data transfers…Goodie

So I pull them out and sure as shit I can see a pool showing A-OK.

Problem is when I attempt to import it wants to mount to root since that’s where the last pve install was that exists on the old pool…and I think once I import I can just mount that volume somewhere else… I’ll have to give that a shot later.

2 Likes

Yeah, can change the mountpoint on import
$zpool import -o altroot=/mnt tank
Not sure the actual command, but deffo possible

2 Likes

If that option actually exists and works I swear. I’ve been trolling the man page for a solid minute man.

3 Likes

It worked! @Trooper_ish!

Beer on me.

3 Likes
zpool import -o altroot /mntpath poolname

Also -R exists

2 Likes

It seems that there are more ways for one to screw up a pool trying to fix something, than there is ways for it to go wrong in the first place.

2 Likes