Zen+ Launch: Ryzen 7 2700X, Ryzen 5 2600X Are here! | Level One Techs

Just glossing over it this doesn’t go into the whole memory latency thing though, which we were talking about.

That was more what i was commenting on

Source
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ryzen-7-2700X-and-Ryzen-5-2600X-Review-Zen-Matures

Well, he was referring to 3466 with the optimised timings so…?

Can’t compare the results when it’s not the same test.

Yeah Techspot tested at 3200Mhz CL14. At that speed CB got similar numbers with their 3200Mhz tests.

However they later were able to tweak the clock speeds to get to 3466 with tight timings and it caused a significant performance increase.

The point here is more Ryzen is very sensitive to both memory speed and timings. Lowering latency is huge. It increases performance by quite a bit. Default timings depending on motherboard and memory kit can vary widely. It is important to check your timings.

Across the board though generally it seems Ryzen 2000 is much better at gaming thanks to the lowered cache latency regardless of memory speed.

1 Like

Now if only good memory didnt cost an arm and a leg, kind of kills some of the value deal side of things.

3200Mhz memory kits (they OCed one to reach 3466) actually aren’t that significantly more expensive than lower clocked ones within a given capacity. Capacity is what kills the wallet more than anything.

The cheapest 3200Mhz kit is about $175. The cheapest 2666Mhz kit is about $18 less. Trident Z is about $185 ish. That’s not huge difference really.

Plus you get a decent/usable CPU cooler as well. So even with the more expensive memory you’re still spending quite a bit less than an 8700K which would only save you a bit on memory (or nothing if you wanted max performance) as you’d still need a cooler too.

That being said, someone looking for the best value for gaming shouldn’t be looking at a Ryzen 7 anyway. It’s diminishing returns. Same with i7s. R5s and i5s are where its at for gaming value.

It is still a significant productivity value since it is actually much closer to the much more expensive Skylake-X 8 core than the 8700K. Especially if you’re willing to buy the 2700 and OC

$154.99 for cheap 2x8 kit
So like $20, about the price of an 212evo (Guessing close in terms of perf) So guess not really all that bad. I wonder how many people use stock AMD coolers. I guess if budget is a real thing it is a huge advantage, and ram would be about a wash for the no cooler, but you still stave on cpu vs cpu price and mobo vs mobo .

Yeah Skylake-x is a super horrible buy now with the gains AMD made on the productivity side of things IMO.

Just browsing this forum and Reddit it seems a fair amount of people do. The Wraith coolers are absolutely fine even for mild OCs and they look pretty good too so most people don’t see a need

The Intel coolers really can’t compare

I guess before I watercooled, I mostly used stock coolers, as even now I only light OC stuff.

Yeah I tend to still like Intel’s Coffee Lake offerings better. Intel’s single threaded performance is still better and at lower power requirements. Plus no Infinity Fabric that forces you to use 3XXXmhz ram that’s not JEDEC standard just to get single core performance close to intel. There are usage cases where I would use AMD over Intel but not in all scenarios.

IF speed shouldn’t affect single-core performance, as it’s how the core complexes communicate.

I mean even on Intel faster memory speed helps performance… This isn’t surprising.

3200Mhz is also now a JEDEC standard btw… Not even really sure why that is such a big deal

Good to see some improvements on the memory overclockings.
And improvements on latencies.
But overall in terms of gaming performance increases between Zen and Zen+,
its not really that impressive from what i have seen sofar.

I’d be interested if 2700x/x470 can pull off 4x8 gig memory @ 3200. I don’t think officially it supports that, but I know I’m already getting 2933 in my x370 taichi in that configuration.

4 modules at 3200mhz should be possible with a decent board.

1 Like