Zen+ Launch: Ryzen 7 2700X, Ryzen 5 2600X Are here! | Level One Techs

https://level1techs.com/ryzen-zen-plus-launch

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/zen-launch-ryzen-7-2700x-ryzen-5-2600x-are-here
2 Likes

I built a low cost Ryzen 5 1600 system last year to avoid the early adopters tax, it’s a great low cost system. Thinking I may upgrade to a 2700 this year with a new 400 series motherboard.

Good to heard that StoreMI seems to “just work”. Any chance you folks could test it on 2200/2400G @wendell? Would make an amazing little PC for low-requirement family members with a 120GB NVMe or M.2 SATA and 1TB HDD.

@wendell i like to know if the StoreMI is great, or not, for people that (have to) use scratch disks in cgi programs or is it to early to tell

@wendell: do check out this write-up by the Stilt: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-72#post-39391302

Because of that I would personally advice against overclocking these CPUs and exploring the possibilities XFR 2 has made available instead. Some ASUS motherboards will also feature additional (and exclusive) XFR 2 related tweaks, which essentially allow you to maintain 4.1GHz+ on all cores and 4.3GHz+ on two cores without entering into the actual overclocking mode (OC-Mode).
The loss in all core performance will usually be smaller than the increase in single threaded performance is, as most of the CPUs won’t be reaching much over 4.1GHz anyway. Personally, I expect 4.1 - 4.15GHz to be the new average maximum frequency for 8-core SKUs (compared to the average OC of 3.85GHz on Summit Ridge), given that high-end cooling

3 Likes

How is IOMMU support in the new motherboards?

They said they’ll do another video to cover IOMMU later, but that there hasn’t been any significant changes from the last generation.

I like your honesty in this video telling who should and should not buy the new cpus. I will say though I guess I am one of the people you recommend buying this as I still have an i5 2500k but honestly it still does the job for me and even when gaming on my son’s AMD FX 6300 things are fine. For me all I want is to get a GTX 1080 Ti again. I am so angry for selling it for the reasons I did. : S

Good refresh / update. Giving intel a run for their money.

I am sitting comfortably on my 1700 @3.8 Ghz - getting decent fps on any of my games and compiling stuff still feels super fast compared to my i7-2600k from before.

I will probably wait with the upgrade until the 7nm CPUs come rolling in.

1 Like

hah! that’s exactly what I was saying. Nice!! This was kind of my recommendation on threadripper also – the pstate stuff.

Nice.
also 103mhz bclck overclock is a pretty good bump.

Are you going to redo the Vega APU review? I imagine that X470’s much higher supported Ram Frequencies will have a major boost to Vega APU performance compared to the original reviews that were tested on the old X370 chipset.

1 Like

The memory controller is the limiting factor. It has been shown that Ryzen 1 and 2 and the APUs all achieve generally about the same max memory speed though it is slightly easier on the latter two.

The motherboard has nearly no affect on memory clocks on Ryzen

@wendell I read another test a few hours ago with benchmarks etc., and what they were saying is that X370 would support XFR2 (which you cleared up later in the video), as well as Precision Boost Overdrive - provided the MB manufacturer certifies it and provides a new UEFI update to unlock it.

Do you happen to know anything about that?

Also, does StoreMI work on Linux? I imagine since it’s a driver it’s Windows (at least for now?). Also, since it’s just software, pretty sure it could be backported to the 300 chipsets.

From the other article it seems AMD was saying that the new chipsets were mainly for the power consumption of the chipset, and for MB manufacturers to release new boards (surprisingly honest about that).

1 Like

My, that’s what confused me in the video, since they were saying they had higher clocks on the new boards.
From what I read it seems that the new boards have optimised routing for the memory and gain in that way. But idk anything about architecture so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

To be fair I haven’t watched the L1T video yet, but afaik the motherboard chipset should have minimal affect. It’s mostly on the IMC. I suppose it’s possible better traces could help but it’s mostly on the CPU.

Gamers Nexus found no appreciable difference on maximum memory speed on either Ryzen 1 or 2 regardless of the chipset. The IMC has been improved though on RR/2000 series making achieving your max clock easier though

The X470 boards could have a slightly more mature BIOS too which really helps as well in achieving higher clocks on memory.

Though again in GNs testing they actually found X370 had better BIOS compatibility with RAM speeds.

What’s interesting is the timings the mobos apply. Some are much loser and lead to worse performance

So it seems to heavily depending on the particular vendor too

1 Like

Yeah that’s what the test I read concluded as well, timings have a massive impact on performance, in one game it was as high as 22% compared to standard timings, which seems crazy.

1 Like

When you guys said StorMI, all i could think was Stormy Daniels. Nice to see amd get a dig in.

2 Likes

Mhm… It’s nuts.

3466 with tweaked timings according to ComputerBase puts it about on level with the 8700K in games.

Still curious about how Anandtech got their numbers…

That’s the test I read as well. That 8700K was at stock though, but still… pretty nuts.

1 Like

Was below on hardware unboxed testing https://www.techspot.com/review/1613-amd-ryzen-2700x-2600x/

TLDR

I mean over 144fps is really all you need in gaming as most people dont have the few pannels that are faster than that.