Zen+ Launch Questions

That’s why we call them mitigations rather than fixes; the first pass makes Spectre more difficult to pull off and/or reduces the performance impact of avoiding it. The next pass, which I agree will be a huge amount of work, will actually address the root cause.

Anyway, I think you’re probably right, but would like confirmation. I can live with Spectre. Meltdown not so much.

The board maker would need to update the bios. Other than that there shouldn’t be a reason not to be able to.

Why would you need to update a BIOS for a newer board? wut

1000 series Ryzen parts should work in X470 with no issues.

1 Like

If the board maker didn’t release it with backward compatibility then yeah they would need to update it.

Yes. Eg. https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp#CPU

Seems like a good question for this thread.

1 Like

I tried to merge it but failed.

1 Like

The effort is appreciated nonetheless. I am also interested in the answer though, but I can’t imagine Zen+ going without ECC considering Zen’s origins and usage in Epyc as well.

All I can say right now is BEEEEEEP

2 Likes

This.

Not only what the system reports but also at what point does the chip begin to throttle.

Is that one beep or multiple beeps?

1 Like

Funny, I just watched that Star Trek episode last night!

1 Like

What are the IOMMU groupings like on the x470 boards?
What is the Linux support like?
Does StoreMI work with Linux?

Those are the things i’m wanting to know.

ready to pull the trigger on a 2700x in the next couple of weeks with a view to replacing my E3-1231v3 haswell box. I definitely want to run looking-glass.

Taken from here:

I second this questions about ECC memory. Everything else about the product seems to be an open book already.

Will it blend?

I’m a little more interested in chipset differences rly.

1 Like

That’s the big one, I agree.

If it’s like previous AMD CPUs then ECC compatibility will be there on the CPUs, it’s up to the motherboard manufacturers to implement the feature however.

IIRC it’s like that on Ryzen, Bulldozer, Phenom II, and I think before were like that. Unregistered/Unbuffered only either way.

1 Like

Try running kill-ryzen.sh on it for shits and giggles :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I don’t believe AMD have built a CPU that DOES NOT support ECC memory in over a decade. Even my lowly Turion micro-server does.

But you don’t know. That is why the question is valid. :wink: