Zen 5 waiting lounge - I plan to upgrade to Ryzen 9000 (zen5).. join & chat if you too

As much as I agree, this trend started of less PCIe slots after SLI/Crossfire died off–if I recall Kabylake had been the last platform to have Crossfire for AMD GPUs on the mATX form-factor yet still retained a 4x slot(downgrades to 2x if 2x GPUs).
There aren’t many good mATX boards to pull off 4x NVMe SSDs off an 8x PCIe slot these days, so a small NAS(SATA+NVMe SSDs) or render box is near impossible.

Since Crossfire (unlike Nvidia SLI) “just works” (terms and conditions apply) with any motherboard, it should work on almost any motherboard.
But like you said, the killing of SLI and CF made mainboards worse in the strangest way.

2 Likes

I have the asus z170 gene matx skylake board. 1 nvme m.2, dual pcie x8 for sli. It also has another pcie x4 slot from the chipset.
I modded the bios to let it support coffee lake cpu. As the 9900k still sells for good money, I sold it the 9900k I owned. I still have the board. What a board.

I´m kinda curious to see new am5 boards.
Would be nice to see more boards with a 10gbe nic onboard.

Would be nice if Asrock made a Taichi Ultimate like board again.

No.
10Gbe integrated nic are bad idea, unless it is x520 level which properly supports VMDq, SR-IOV, etc. Mainstream motherboard vendors are not going to do that.
10Gbe nic occupies at lease 2 PCIE lines, usually 4 PCIE lines. I’d rather they provide an extra PCIE slot instead of a crippled 10Gbe nic.

2 Likes

ya I have my own X550, just give me the lanes lol

I salute your Z170 and raise you my Z170

3x M.2, 4x full sized PCIe (3 CPU, 1 chipset), 2x x1 PCIe, 1x mini PCIe

1 Like

IPC uplift will be like 12%. Not worth upgrade.

Most of the people here are waiting to upgrade from 5000 ryzen or older…

The main thing I am watching is the memory situation. I do need stable 128GB…

1 Like

Yeah, exactly, not to mention how inconvenient it is to get to those slots once the system is populated…

While I’m still waiting for Zen 5 AM5 CPUs in a positive context, I’m worried about arbitrary market segmentation decisions AMD seems to prepare.

Specifically I’m worried that AMD is actively going to block ECC support on their Ryzen CPUs similar to all existing Ryzen (non-PRO) APUs…

Why?

The introduction of the useless additional AM5 Epyc 4004 model line (they are the same as the regular AM5 Ryzen Zen 4 CPUs, just with less aggressive boost behavior).

@wendell

Can your “gut feeling” say if AMD is keeping its existing ECC policy (it’s up to the motherboard manufacturers as long as it’s a CPU and not a non-PRO APU) or if there might be a change in plans?

On AMD official website, all Ryzen 7000s are marked as “ECC support YES”. It comes down to motherboard board support. Motherboard board vendors just do not bother to add extra traces for ECC support. Also they may lock down through bios just for marketing segmentations.

I’m hoping to time things so I get a hopefully updated Suprim X Liquid 5090 (then slowly add more for local hosted Ai) and a Threadripper with Zen 5 late this year into next year

Decided on the Lian Li V3000 Plus as the ideal case for a workstation due to the built in anti-theft of weighing 73 pounds by itself even before adding any parts inside