Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 series announcement (reactions, thoughts, concerns)

2020 might be the year of crisis but it has given us ryzen 5000, rx 6000, rtx 30xx, raisaed by wolves, supernatural final episodes, etc.

Hyped for Ryzen 4000 APUs as well if we ever get those

1 Like

Definitely getting the 5900X for myself this Christmas :santa:

Iā€™ve been a good boy this year

They didnā€™t talk at all about chip-set compatibility and Iā€™m wondering if that will have any affect on performance or how that is being implemented will we need to update the bios and on which boards etc.

Iā€™ve been holding out on rebuilding my workstation. 5950x might be the one that ends the wait.

Whatā€™s the consensus on AM4 support going forward with Zen 3+?

My main concern with jumping on an AM4 platform now is its likely the end of the platform.

It seems like zen4 will be a new socket for sure.

1 Like

prob same socket for a few more gen just deff not gonna be backward compatible with older shit is my guess

1 Like

That was definitely impressive. I am a little surprised tho that they didnā€™t mention X670, maybe thatā€™s not going to be a thing after all :thonk:
Was kind of hoping we would see usb 4 support. I wonder if they still have something in store for next year or if weā€™ll have to wait for zen4 and AM5 in 2022. That would still fall into their 14-18 month release cycle I guess.

Anyways, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be upgrading any time soon, at least not until usb4 is a thing. Looking forward to the RDNA 2 reveal tho :sunglasses:

There were heavy rumors for a Ryzen 5000 series in 2021 but Iā€™m a little doubtful of that now that they made the 4000 series the 5000 seriesā€¦ Of course could be that was a cause for a mix up all along :thinking:

Zen 4 is definitely AM5 and coming in 2022.

1 Like

pretty sure they jumped ryzen 4000 this year so they could launch the 6950x sooner next year

probably will launch x690 also on the motherboard

Thought that was to get in line with mobile Ryzen numbers

I was just joking, forgot to put the /s

2 Likes

I want official transcoding and decoding of uhd drm on amd. To be on top in all categories over intel they need this licensing feature. Intel still hold this over amd.

19% ipc, 4.9GHz

Ooof, get fukt Intel.

3 Likes

Hey it is my favorite nvidia shill shilling for amd!

3 Likes

Damn, just watched this.

Takeaways:

1. WTF is with this naming convention. AMD really needs to get their shit together and stick to it.
  2. Intel shills are gonna be working overtime on the ā€œmuh delid 5.2GHzā€ meme.
  3. The fact that AMD vs Intel is sorta thrown in there as an afterthought shows that Intel has been thoroughly dethroned.
  4. Iā€™m curious where theyā€™re getting that 2.8x power efficiency vs Intel from
  5. Iā€™m curious how those GPU numbers stack up against the 3080, but who gives a fuck, 3080 is vaporware. (saw a 3080 1440p borderlands badass benchmark that got 72fps average, so Iā€™d say 4k at 60 is a solid competitor)
  6. Does anyone wanna buy a 3900x? Iā€™m selling :stuck_out_tongue:
3 Likes

Keep your 3900x, because it is always nice to have a backup cpu. If my 5950x tanks then I will have my 3900x or 3950x. If it blows up for example.

1 Like

she teased the coming rdna2 gpusā€¦
didnt say which one it wasā€¦
but said it was getting 60fps in borderlands3
on 4K

the current 5700xt only gets 30fps at 4k in that game
the 2080tiā€¦ only gets 47fps at 4k

so the new card she teasedā€¦ is 26% faster than a 2080ti
in that game at 4k

3 Likes

I have laptops for backup. I donā€™t need to game or compile fast.

I donā€™t like having CPUs just hanging around doing nothing.

4 Likes

If they come within spitting distance of the 3080 I will be impressed.

From what I can read in ComputerBaseā€™s (DE) press briefing with AMD, that is a comparison in Cinebench R20 Multi-Core.

They didnā€™t want to launch them as 4000 to no add even more confusion since 4000 is already only Zen+ instead of Zen 2. Although I think the notebook 4000s are Zen 2? Just the APUs Zen+ā€¦ orā€¦ something like that. And that is the issue :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m really just hoping my Aorus Gaming 7 gets 5000 support since it is/was a rather high-end modelā€¦ would be a bummer if I couldnā€™t, because that would probably be the last supported generation anyway. Considering the X370 Gaming 5 and K7 got Ryzen 3000 support Iā€™m somewhat optimistic butā€¦ you never know.

3 Likes