ZBrush build

I’m new toPC building so any suggestions would be great. Here’s what I have so far.

AMD Threadripper 3970X 3.7 GHz 32-Core Processor
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA EATX sTRX4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Western Digital Blue 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
PNY Quadro RTX 4000 8 GB Video Card
Lian Li O11D XL-X ATX Full Tower Case
Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ( Messed up here)
Noctua A15 PWM 140 mm Fan (2nd fan for the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler)
6 Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan
ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack

Thanks

Probably not the kind of build I’d recommend for a first time builder but it looks fine otherwise. Good luck.

seems you only have 2 x m.2 slots and the rest this board advertises must be put in on some kind of DIMM.2 Socket
(EDIT: I realized the DIMM.2 may come with your board so just look into that maybe)
you did not list that in your parts so just wanted to be sure you were aware. Other than that nothing is wrong with the build just had a question and a possible more optimal option for your storage.

You picked two 1tb m.2 NVME and one 500gb m.2 NVME but unless you plan to raid 0 I think that getting a single 2tb (or more) would result in better speeds. though if you simple want data integrity and want to clone your data to the other 1tb NVME that seems fine but then why the 500gb NVME?

The board can take 5 m.2 drives, but why the WD BLUE?

Look at WD SN850 or Samsung’s 980 pro

Corsair mp600
Seagate 520
Sabrent

Basically any PCIe Gen4 x4 disk

Henrik

thanks, WD blue was recommended, no other reason. Im new at this!

1 Like

Ok, the WD BLUE is a relative slow drive for NVME drives, if you wish to sty with WD, then they have just released SN850 which is pushing the limits of second round releases of NVME gen 4 drives, which in my opinion would be better suited to your system.

The biggest yikes here from me is that a threadripper system is a very finickey system.

It’s not easy to install the CPU (watch some installation videos beforehand, please!) and it can be a finickey platform in terms of software as well.

It’s just not the type of system I’d recommend to someone who’s not experienced with building custom PCs.

That said, you’ve specced out an absolute beast. I definitely won’t deny that. If you build this system, it’s going to be an absolute monster.

Another question. Im installing my Samsung 970 Evo M.2’s . Do I remove the sticker and void the warranty for better heat transfer to the heatsink preinstalled on the board? Based on other articles do I need the heatshields?

The sticker is a heatsink on that drive and I believe you can leave it on unless you have case airflow issues. Should not make a difference to the drive.

I just finished the build and it runs great so thanks for all your input!

1 Like

Feel free to post some pictures of your build!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.