YYYUUUUUUGGGGGEEE Intel IP breach

I just want my libreboot sandy bridge machine already.

2 Likes

Off topic, but what program/app is this? Is this a torrent app?

1 Like

It’s mega

Shit, you still have that green ITX build?

1 Like

Ooooo. Libreboot on modern laptop when?

HNNNNG

3 Likes

It’s just my initial suspicion based on hype and contents…

3 Likes

My freedom boner is fully consenting.

3 Likes

Sooooo do we think Intel gonna start producing something useful cause I feel like we have 0 competition in the opposite direction. Haven’t read any of the data.

1 Like

LOL @SgtAwesomesauce you tripped my Linode upload notification

2 Likes

Hey. Engineer here

I’ve taken a look at the first 4gb of the leak

It’s pretty bad.

There’s a lot in there some examples are the IMRC (initialization Memory Reference Code) is there… uhmm Its actual chip architecture layouts and full on schematics and Verilog and just tons of crap… assembly references (nasms)… Whole decompiled and referenced microcode lol

The dangerous part is the Processor Initialization code… for non engineers… this takes the processor from the reset state to a state where the operating system can run. It also contains all the boot guard stuff from Skylake onwords. There are both bins and decompilations. Including how the EFI will interface with the processor before handoff.

I can’t explain how dangerous it is to have a lot of this stuff leaked and it’s just drop 1

Alot of this is vendor only and it’s not just mobile and desktop CPUs. The corporate side involves the xeons and respective chipsets. To include oem only skus

10 Likes

So, what does all of this say for libreboot and me cleaner?

2 Likes

If I were to venture to guess any fairly stock or slightly modified implementation of said Management Engine could be reverse engineered unless intel seriously changes their code and architecture. Not sure yet. Dont take my word for it! Im not some one actively developing those projects!

1 Like

Update : Intel has responded to Tom’s Hardware with an official statement:

“We are investigating this situation. The information appears to come from the Intel Resource and Design Center, which hosts information for use by our customers, partners and other external parties who have registered for access. We believe an individual with access downloaded and shared this data.”

Intel’s Resource and Design Center is a website dedicated to providing the company’s partners with NDA documentation for product integration purposes. Reports are also cropping up that some of the files are marked with NDA license agreements to “Centerm Information Co. Ltd., a Chinese company established and existing under the laws of the People’s Republic of China,” meaning this company could have been also hacked.

Makes you wonder if this wasn’t a deliberate attack to weaken Intel by Chinese State Sponsered Hackers.

This should also be a giant WAKE-UP call to all Western Businesses.

They need to MOVE the SUPPLY Chain away from China and Chinese held businesses ASAP.

A world where Western Democracies Economically Blockade China is a better world.

All Western Companies need to cease doing business with China and any Chinese interests.

Starve the CCP out of any Financial gains.

7 Likes

@Kamen_Rider_Blade please keep the discussion on topic, if you want to have a discussion about China or it’s politics and possible shady business practices, you are free to have that discussion in our politics section.

5 Likes

when i think i wanted to get some stock after the big drop from the 7nm delay … glad i was to lazy to do it XD

2 Likes

Can it get any worse for intel. Murthy done all he can do .

1 Like

Never ask that. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Well I know about
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Reviving-Foreshadow-Bad

3 Likes

You probably already saw this. https://twitter.com/deletescape/status/1291405688204402689?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

The torrent magnet link is still out there in the wild. I wouldn’t recommend downloading it though.

1 Like
2 Likes