YouTube Triggering Me

The more you use the app/site, the more exposed to the ads you are… virtuous circle…

2 Likes

Also rant about YouTube leftiness

Youtube has been ranted at for pushing the gay agenda and leftist views while demonetizing anything with that content

Gay lesbian lgbt and trans are all demonetized words

And many weapons fire arms and historical situations and educational terms with nazism
Are demonetized

If no one can talk but those who pay no one can argue about your platform

1 Like

Sometimes autoplay will put me in a loop of the same 2 videos covering the same topic over and over.
This happens most often between seth meyers and stephen colbert, constantly reccomended and it will just keep looping comentary on the same trump tweet.
I usually listen to news or podcasts while gaming.

Oh, this is why.

Ramadan is happening, and some Muslim groups are incredibly pushy when it comes to trying to convert people. So they sink tons of money into advertising thinking it’ll turn into conversions.

Same with dating sites.

So you get generic ads again and again due to their advertising budget.

And if you ever accidentally click an ad, good luck.

2 Likes

Seems awefully wasteful, what with all the learning and AI that can be applied to advertising you would think they might spend it more wisely. That’s my only complaint, not specifically a YouTube complaint just that’s where I see it.

1 Like

Commercials in the middle of a video, well I hate them everywhere. Always mark them as spam wherever possible.

Telling you about benefits if you make an account, if I want an account I can make one like everywhere else.

The same as most sites about them using cookies. They could start by asking, “can we make a cookie, where it says you never want to feed the data hoarding and tracking algorithm?”, something like a permanent opt out cookies to all Google infested sites. Will never happen, but one can dream. That fing pop-up does my head in on all sites.

1 Like

I support people wasting money on ads. Hopefully they’ll eventually realize that it doesn’t work on most people these days.

2 Likes

Don’t wan to be that guy but no ads at all on YT Premium.

It’s very nice.

I still leave uBlock Origin on though but now it’s guilt free.

The recommended feed is hot trash most of the time. I was pretty bummed when they made that the default ‘Home’ instead of your sub feed.

2 Likes

Vivaldi has native blocking so I use that with Ublock except on channels I support

I really don’t mind ads that much- I could block, or buy premium, and that ios more than just YouTube.

BUT I would much rather they do their creepy analasys of the media / page / video to target the ads to the destination, not to creep into the viewer’s life…

1 Like

I’ve been really digging the concept of LBRY. I haven’t looked at it much lately but when I tried it last year my one big desire was to have the ability to seed videos that I watch long term. I don’t know how they are as reliable as they are right now but in my mind the ideal crowd-powered CDN would allow users to contribute as much storage and bandwidth as they’d like. As far as I understand it you’re basically only sharing what you’re watching approximately around the time you watch it. I’d be just find dedicating 200GB of storage that LBRY would use as a long term cache and give it x% of my bandwidth to work with.

1 Like

There was a company a few years ago that used this model, where you allocate a portion of storage and bandwidth as cloud storage and your files would be on a distributed share as part of the group.

I can’t remember what that was called. I think that was around 2013 timeframe.

storj?

Lol, yep I think that’s it. I think that’s the one Linus covered back then :-).

1 Like

The answer is simple. Youtube Vanced.

Ads, I usually get footage of AOE2 used to advertise some Russian play to wait strategy game. Or some ad for a game from china which is a clicker that steals your data [tons of background permissions], ad is mostly meme/ american stereotypes/racist.
If I watch fox I get a bunch of ads about artheritis or obvious scams against seniors.

When YouTube always suggest years old news episodes… I’ve just given up and started watching them. :expressionless:

3 Likes

I haven’t used youtube (the actual site or official apps) for like 3 years, except very, very rarely for some music discovery stuff. Have been happy without it but don’t worry, I still get triggered by it! The latest thing was that they started monetizing users content without their consent, even if the user doesn’t want to or can’t even monetize it themselves… wtf… made me remove everything I ever uploaded even tho I only upload gameplay to share with friends and they would never consider monetizing that stuff, but it’s the principle. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

is that why I can’t find that one vocaloid video with the paper dolls on the paper stage anymore, even though there were dozens of copies of it and it couldn’t be escaped a decade ago?

currently, unblockable youtube audio ads blasting my ears off between videos is a bit on the annoying side.

I always wondered, as an experiment, if you could just outright start a video with some offensive stuff and then YouTube wouldn’t bother to put an advertisement on the video. Basically make it so that YouTube wouldn’t want to monetize your videos for fear of backlash from brands.

Something like: “Hello you MFers, welcome to my f-ing channel. Today we’re going to talk about Coronavirus and Tiananmen Square”

4 Likes