YouTube Triggering Me

It was more I didn’t know people were interested in all of those

Fair warning it breaks a lot by default

1 Like

Not a patent, but I saw a defcon talk I think it was, where they used pulsed lasers to send a command to a google home. “OK google, open the garage door”

This works through windows. So you could break into someone’s house this way.

1 Like

I would never give google/apple/ anyone access to open my garage or unlock the door ect (to be fair its not hard to break windows and on the plus side you would have time stamps when they “broke” in)

1 Like

I have used uMatrix and NoScript for 5 years now. And before that, I used AdNauseam to click on all the ads and f*** with their stupid monetization system. But for some reason, AdNauseam wouldn’t block everything as well as uBlock did (even though it is a fork, it blocked side ads, but not video ads on youtube). But once I went to deny by default, I never seen an ad ever again. And for about a year, I’ve been using youtube-dl and deleting everything after I watched (I started downloading stuff, because I’ve noticed stuff getting deleted a few hours after I saw them in my sub feed, so I back everything up, watch and then delete, I only have 256 GB of storage in total).

I used the youtube program on Android on occasion and saw ads, but changed to NewPipe this summer. NewPipe doesn’t have all the features I’d want, but gets the job done.

The only domains to make Youtube work on NoScript or uMatrix are:

• youtube.com (obviously)
  • googlevideo.com
    and if you want images and thumbnails on the website
  • ggpht.com
  • ytimg.com
    and you may need to also enable
  • gstatic.com
    for static content, scripting and some XHR stuff. I had all those enabled, but now I block googlevideo, because I don’t watch videos on youtube at all now.

The ads are served from doubleclick.net, so definitely block that.

1 Like

I hate those long form ads, if you have auto play on and don’t skip adds from time to time the adds will just stack up. The skip add feature is a valuable tool for YouTube, you are sharping their algorithm. I caved in and subscribed to YouTube premium a long time ago. Life is just less stressful without those constant adds. :yawning_face:

1 Like

@ThatGuyB @Trooper_ish

Imma post it now. Its going to be the update gravity terminal output…

Infrastructure Series -- Recursive DNS and Adblocking DNS over TLS w/NGINX - #2 by PhaseLockedLoop

2 Likes

If i click in a 20 second video, my recommended page transforms into only 20 seconds videos for 1 month. And auto play is broken (i mean is working as intended is just trash), after 1 video it will default to the same content creator longest video doesnt matter if you watched already or not.

Before auto play was so good… i miss old auto play

necroing for reasons…

a couple of days ago my home feed went blank… i expected this due to having all my histories turned off.

the last two days ive noticed when i click on youtube my gpu fans spin up…
the spin up is consistent. it lasts about 5 seconds and then fades…
if i click back to go back to the previous page off youtube and then go back again.
the spin up happens again…

i checked task manager and sure enough the gpu is spiking momentarily and then going back to zero.

in dev console theres 2 new additions both called generate. one of which seems to be pointing to a new api.

then something really odd happened … nothing was playing and all of a suddenly music faded in, gave me a few bar’s of the song Imagine Dragons & JID - Enemy, and faded out.

ive been back and forth to youtube all day and i hasn’t happened again with the music but the fans are still spinning up.

1 Like

Is this on Windows? I was at my friends house a couple weeks back and he was having similar issues. I think it is exacerbated by an issue with his AIO water cooler. A bit of messing around showed it was only YouTube causing the spike. His 5900X would jump up from 50’s C to 70’s C while my 1700X sat in the 30’s in the same room also watching YouTube. Plus I’m using an old Socket 775 cooler that doesn’t even fully cover the heat spreader in a case with maybe 1/4 the airflow.

I know his fan curves are messed up, as they go from barely audible to full blast. It was an expensive pre-built that wouldn’t even boot out of the box, so I have no doubt the thermal paste and other stuff needs to be investigated, but it’s kinda funny how even gaming doesn’t seem to be as hard on the system as YouTube.

i run a fin stack with a fan mate no aio…
my temps are fine.
its something happening between my browser and youtube thats causing a ramp up in the fans.
it might be an adblocker causing youtube to bawk.
it might have been the adblocker shitting the bed and let part of an ad though. i dunno…
but its defiantly something not right and its only just started.

i dont have super resolution enabled so that cant be the reason the gpu suddenly gets hot enough to turn the fans on…
so im off down the rabbit hole :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Just as an fyi … youtube / google are testing out their anti adblockers as of recently so their might be something to that.

That’s a good point. I installed uBlock Origin and for whatever reason he had an issue with it and switched to (I believe) AdBlock Plus. I can’t even get Twitch to show me any ads no matter what I do (even a fresh install with no ad blockers and trying multiple browsers}, so I really don’t comprehend much about ad blocking and issues other people have been experiencing. We were in the middle of doing a bunch of car repairs and replacing the A/C system on one car, so worrying about the YouTube thing was pretty low priority at the time.

I believe his GPU was also spinning up, but the cooling issue causing the CPU to spike, compounded with the noise and the temp display on the water block kind of drowned out whatever the GPU was doing. After we sort out the cooling issue I will have to try out some different browsers, ad blockers, and accounts to see what is and isn’t hammering the system resources.

lol I started reading this thread not noticing its from 2020 thinking this is a new thread and i was like “yeah! totally agree!”

three years later, its worse :woman_facepalming: :rofl:

If you talor a platform for everybody, in the end you create a plattform that caters to nobody.

edit:
Hey, old thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep I agree… especially when they’ve started testing on plebs like me!

:grinning:

like i said “I NECRO’D THIS THREAD!”…

ok? sure? whatever

Neeeeeeeeecrrrooooooo!!!

@mutation666 been dead for two years. It got resurrected lol

1 Like

Who cares, we might as well live in the walking dead world? Am I right?

2 Likes

Brains!!!

2 Likes