YouTube Triggering Me

A thread about things youtube does that triggers you.

I hate when it autoplays old videos I’ve already watched, on top of that I have Lienus lying about todays sponsor for this video.

3 Likes

YouTube triggered me so hard with their mass deletions that I now have a ~50TiB archive. So there’s that. :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

Wow, I haven’t noticed that, so far. What are they deleting?

My favorite, watch a news story then if gives me 2-4 year old news stories as suggestions.

I used to be half way decent at suggestions now it is scrolling for 1/2 of eternity to find something of interest when I’m just killing time.

It has gotten really bad at suggesting music. It’s like they are suggesting stuff now because both video’s had blue in them. Hey you watched a video that was 3:46 long, here’s 6 more that are 3:46 long. Not really but damn if I can figure out how they think things are related to each other. Steam seems to be going that way also with their suggestions…

1 Like

Yea, they’ve done something to make the suggestions worse. That’s for sure.

If you know people that watch things you like, that’s a good way to get hooked into more things it should be suggesting but isn’t.

At one point they were getting rid of History Channels content that they thought was offensive like WW2 content. Gun reviews, a lot of political content. Mostly they have just switched to demonetization of those channels instead.

And a lot more just was naming a few…

4 Likes

Depends

There’s occasional waves political hysteria which results in things like firearm, philosophy, news, and historical video channels getting nuked.

There’s various copyright takedowns For reasons ranging from bots to fraud.

And then there’s YouTube’s own content monitoring, both automated and human that can nuke stuff on a whim even without politics or copyright as a driving force.

Oh, and lots of channel authors will hide or delete their own videos for any number of reasons.

A few years ago I realized my favorites list was Swiss cheese, saw the writing on the wall and just started downloading entire channels if it had stuff I liked. Hard drives are cheaper than regret. Or therapy I guess.

6 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty scary. Erasing the past and others voices is not a good sign.

6 Likes

I have noticed that in several lists of my own, too. But I never downloaded them because I couldn’t share them with people locally anyway.

That’s not a bad idea, though.

I recommend learning youtube-dlp, and highly suggest the pip installation method, as it needs to be updated often to stay compatible. Works on most sites, not just YouTube.

Then you can create a bash alias or whatever they are called so you can just type “yt” And paste the url and by good to go.

Do be aware that archiving channels eats space fast, so evaluate if you really want to go down that route and how far. Because then you can’t just half ass backups anymore. If you do want to monitor channels, I suggest these scripts

3 Likes

Second on the pip-installation method. It really helps keeping up with youtube changes.

My personal Youtube-triggerpoint:
I have earned eternal advertising of stock trading apps because I spent an afternoon researching stock data for a friend of mine. At this point I’m contemplating youtube red or pro or whatever the paid thing is.

There are a lot of people uploading audiobooks from audible to youtube. They then get a couple thousand views and get taken down. That’s the only thing I download from youtube.

Youtube triggers me when youtube-dl 403’s. Mostly on Vevo. :rofl:

I recommend learning youtube-dl, and highly suggest the pip installation method

I concur. Also suggest a shell alias. These options can be put in ~/.config/youtube-dl/config, but I prefer an alias for ssh-agent auto-pushing reasons.

## Use pip's youtube-dl,
## always download video in with best quality,
## Merge into mkv
alias youtube-dl="/usr/local/bin/youtube-dl -f 'bestvideo[ext=mp4]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/bestvideo+bestaudio' --merge-output-format mkv --output '%(uploader)s - %(title)s'"
3 Likes

I am mainly annoyed with it advertising, not that there is so much but the complete lack of awareness of their target which is OK as I don’t want them being able to target but the alternative is laughable.

Attempts to change my religion, get me to ditch my boyfriend for some old desperate lady, or take car insurance that is not only available to women for one and I don’t even have a car. I have to imagine at some stage the advertisers will be annoyed because they are paying for the ads that are going absolutely no where.

1 Like

That’s pretty good targeting right there :smiley:

I got advertised to for Patriot missile systems or digital election counting systems by Twitter once. Don’t get me wrong: if I could afford a Patriot missle battery I would definetly get one.

You might want to have a look at your ad settings in google: http://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads

Mine seems to be mostly right. Although I’m not 35-44.

4 Likes

Username checks out.

1 Like

Yeah I have targeted ads off anyway.

It just seems odd the non targeted ads are still very specific rather than generic ads. Like constantly sending car insurance ads specifically for women has to be a pretty ineffecient, as opposed to an item that would be applicable to many more. But hey thats for Google and the advertisers to work out, not my money being pissed up a tree.

I hate the constant layout changes and redesign it’s infuriating

Sound loudness equalization is a nightmare one video could be 10000000db and the other be nothing

Dark mode is still trash and allows a lot of stupid bright shit

The push for a YouTube kids And making youtube ‘family friendly’ has ruined anything for people who have a brain

1 Like

Yeah not so much for kids. Often catch some sexual content on the damn thing. Always letting my sister now the shit he’s watching on fucking YouTube kids.
I double check that it’s the kids and not the default YouTube app. We don’t allow him full YouTube what so ever.

2 Likes

When I was watching my ex’s kid it was basically the screen was locked so they couldn’t have auto play and only what we put down we watched it all before they could and I swear my brain is dying from the flash backs

Just to make sure

Like cable costs to much for Dora and other young kids shows I ended up just getting the pbs kids app and at least there the kids stuff isn’t shit too also putting on shows like brain games and other ez real world stem stuff helped more then anything youtube was able to push

2 Likes

Recently got back into facebook to message a friend of mine, but now all I get are facebook ads, like I have the product… why advertise what I use…

2 Likes