YouTube shuts down H3H3's Live Stream for Talking About Alex Jones

During their segment about the Alex Jones stuff (YouTube removed Alex Jones’ channel from their site) on their live stream, YouTube put a strike against their channel and shut down their stream.

The ridiculousness here is H3H3 were criticising Alex Jones and were backing YouTubes stance on removing his channel for violating their rules. And had apparently even talked to YoutTube to get a statement.

Seems like a bit of a backfire/mistake on YouTubes part. Algorithms working flawlessly or a NGO with a trigger finger?

9 Likes

Really poor automation.

For all the Machine Learning that youtube is doing, the youtube strike triggers are just a list of simple static if conditions as determined by youtube and ad partners.

I know it can’t tell context of a topic at all.

What set it off was playing back alex jones footage that got voiced ID’d by youtube and taken down.

4 Likes

They are very poor, assuming it’s just algorithms. It does seem like something needs to change. If you cant even show a clip of audio or video without being taken down it’s a useless platform for lots of content.

This is the result of the slippery slope of censorship.

9 Likes

The Alex Jones thing was a pretty clear violation of their terms of service. There’s no censorship there, though I will say that you could argue that YouTube has a monopoly and because of that maybe should have to be less restrictive. That’s a complex subject.

Their strike system is just extremely poor, I don’t think it’s deliberate censorship but it’s a rubbish system. In saying that, I will also say I’m not saying it isn’t censorship. Google don’t list the NGOs they have running their platforms content screening, but the few that they did reveal publicly are super dodgy already.

2 Likes

I think the right way to deal with him would be remove him from suggested videos and top lists, and make his content “for mature audiences only”

2 Likes

The Russians and China are laughing at our freedom overlords :frowning:

We are eating ourselves all alone for the greater good !

We keep shrinking our kiddy safe bubble. When we are totally corporate controlled. We will be pliable to whatever. At long as Euro, Russia, China can dictate Mega Corp rules on the internet and our Western internet bubble loses air.

All the well comrades :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t see what the issue is with Alex Jones. Man is a humble water filter sellsman.

7 Likes

I like having the pheaks and the weirdo keeping it real. He just getting to big to fail so its time to try and fail (main stream media).

He will be ok. All the small sites that take this hit will be ended. Double tap to the head.

So while I enjoy his clips from time to time. I dont want to see him be a trend setter for the little guys to be snuffed by main stream media.

Simple truth is without religion the media controls the populous. Unless there is massive and overwhelming control of people. We are too many to control if say the US rebelled again…End of the World.

Control is everything.

The world’s a planet. Food. tech and most important iPhone are all global trade.

If we have a war and millennial’s cant get iphone’s and have to join the army and fight. There baby seals :slight_smile:

Its all fun and games on the media to make everyone feel warm and cuddly.

1 Like

What the fuck did I just read.

5 Likes

Imagine a WW3 with no trade…Watch everyone starve. :slight_smile:

Because of the fact that they’re essentially a monopoly and at the same time a service that many people use as their primary source of income, YouTube should be treated like a public utility. Maybe not entirely, but I think it’s too important to be seen as nothing more than a private entity. And as much as I dislike Alex Jones, I don’t think that removing his channel entirely is the correct course of action. It’s not like channel deletion is something that can happen only to insane conspiracy theorists.

1 Like

At the moment I would be inclined to agree just with the prohibitive cost of publishing videos yourself tneds to mean you need to have one of these platforms, of which you have youtube… and realistically not really anyone else. Vimeo is probably the closest and they define themselves as having a specific purpose, not general video like youtube.

(i don’t think we are at that stage yet though, but I could see it being required if there are zero alternatives)

If your not on youtube you dont get exposure or numbers to ever be a thing. Alex Jones has made himself a thing. Bigger than media networkds in the US.

For good or bad the world gets these rules.

I removed a few nonsensical posts. Keep them on topic and coherent please? I don’t want nonsense ramblings that’ll just drive things off topic.

Hense a monopoly. If they are the only source of access to recorded speech they may need to have their rules relaxed. Since they are a US company that wouldn’t be hard.

But I don’t think we are there yet. There’s plenty of ways to get an audience. podcasts don’t need YouTube and do better than YouTube in some respects.

1 Like

Threads run out :)…I know

I have an Australian sense of humor and its Australian. No offense ment.

See the way this article is written is my core problem. The writer views it s a great idea for a company like Alphabet (Google) to determine what is truth.

Under their Logic RT, Mother Jones, The Young Turks and many others should be deplatformed too.

We see what happens when knee jerk policies are applied without restriction across the board. Both sides of the spectrum will use this to silence those they disagree with.

We see the witch hunts on Twitter do you want that to happen on YouTube as well?

Further marginalizing extreme view points only emboldens them. This why In the US and elsewhere you are having street fights.

6 Likes

It kind of already does. See the NGOs who are part of YouTubes trusted flagger program (which you can’t because YouTube keeps the list secret.)