YouTube revenue

I think you confuse censorship for moderation of a website.

Censorship would have been deleting your thread and anything that resembles your opinion.
What we have done, is prevented a massive troll campaign from cropping up on a topic that has most of it's bases covered and from the first few comments had already attracted smart ass troll behaviors.

As far as ad revenue, the numbers depicted on the website @Goalkeeper mentioned

Are estimates at best, and wrong aside from that.
It's estimate is that LTT gets 1.3million views a day and we only get 8000? That's not even close to accurate.

The $$ it puts on the end are also calculated with the idea that all of those views have Google Ads in front of them, which depending on where the video is embedded, may or may not have an ad.

1 Like

I get that the thread is still up but now nobody that had a willingness to talk about the subject matter maturely can post so in a way they are censored before they even start. Oh and I totally understand getting rid of trolls although some sites I have dealt with don't seem to understand what a troll is and one just responding and defending their point of view to various posts is not a troll. I am not saying that is what happened here as I saw the trolls LOL but just sharing a previous experience I have had (ahem .. LTT .. cough .. ahem) and worried that eventually I will get booted from the message boards once again on another site just because I have a minority opinion on many things. Heck I have even been booted from a site just because they didn't like the way I shared the deals I got and no bragging was involved.

In regards to explaining the money side of things thanks for the info. and just glad to now be contributing through Patreon and look forward to more of your content in the future.

I thought the numbers were at least 80% accurate. It seems that everything that I believe in on the internet is wrong. I still think that Linus is a millionaire tho.

Realistically there should be a glassdoor type website for youtubers to post their earnings in an anonymous way. Its weird that a youtuber can not say how much he/she earns. And some of the users who have partnerships with youtube post videos saying that they don't make that much money from youtube, yet they have a nice house and have nice things, and a family. Its like youtube wants everyone to shy away from being a youtube partner from a financial standpoint. Although partners probably get to keep most of the things they have from doing a review for a company. And they probably have a job outside of youtube that they don't talk about and their spouse presumably also brings in an income.

It's simple. We have over 2 million views this month and the ad revenue is 1/3 of what it was a year ago. It's barely enough to cover one person. Yt revenue is not anything we can live on or rely on. The tek support members and patrons keep us alive... And the store.

4 Likes

Well I just got my first Epic Pants order Thursday, one of the last old style burning earth mouse pads and the large burning earth sticker. @Logan, have you thought about embedding an Amazon search window on epic pants, or here, or posting it on the videos so you get revenue from that? Not just for specific items, I for one would use it. No cost to me and it benefits the Tek. Or show how to input an afilliate code video or post? I have meant to bring this up for a while, though meant to start a thread on it. Just didn't want to be intrusive or a busy body. Thanks for all the content.

You wont get banned/suspended because of your opinion so long as your opinion doesnt break Wheaton's law or the forum rules.

Is YouTube Red doing anything to help with that, or was that just a stunt to get people to think they were doing something by using that?

Either way, keep up with the store and I'll keep buying stuff I like!

I found this interesting. So YouTube Red is good?

Obviously Tek Syndicate and LTT are completely different entities and this may not be the case for Tek Syndicate, still mildly interesting.

Amazon's terms of service are strict. The stuff that Linus does (hey use of affiliate link to help us!) Is against the terms. He could get his account banned. It's not supposed to be a charity.

A search might be OK. The way you're supposed to use it is by directing people go the site in an organic way. "Check out this item on Amazon." Not, "if your going to buy on amazon help us out."

We put our link on teksyndicate.com/teksupport. But that's also frowned upon.

Thanks for the info. I didn't mean it as a case for charity, that was not my intent. I just thought if you and the crew could get a half percent of all the money we spend on crap and necessities on Amazon, it would make up for all of us running adblocker. I like the knowledge and morals and ethos of T.S. that I have seen so far, just looking for a way to support you in any small way. Thank You for Epic Pants btw.

I think this is a result of ad block honestly. I have YouTube Red because I already had all access.

I honestly don't think Amazon cares too much. I'm betting it's more about the money for them, and someone with an audience the size of Linus could probably get away with far more than someone like myself. Of course, my audience is so small that it flies under the radar anyway.

eBay seems to have the most strict rules I've ever seen. No custom links where eBay appears before the third forward slash, no eBay related names, no names that have "Bay" in them, etc...