Your thoughts on adblocking software and Youtube Red

youtube red is awesome. not having ad's is like night and day.

Thanks for all your help guys! Your thoughts are greatly valued and this has given me a massive advantage in my project.

Cheers!

Adblockers have hurt a lot of good people. I use Ublock origin but turn it off for sites that I respect and visit regularly. There has been a lot of talk about this very subject on Steve Gibson's Security Now podcast. Episode 523 + others.

I really think the Google Contributor is a nice way to move forward and still have an internet landscape where everything isn't some subscription service.

1 Like

This issue is larger than YT.

I'd recommend listening to or reviewing the html of recent-ish episodes of security now. They discuss the idea of ad-revenue in great detail for several hours and the impact of ad-blocker technology in the current web ecosystem from every PoV possible.

https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
520-527. Click on the ugly sound icon on the far left for the episode's audio, I paste them into WMP myself, and the ugly IE 8 webpage logo that looks like it's from XP for the transcript. There's also a [pod]cast epi[sode] where they interview Disconnect's CTO. Might want to search for keywords in the transcripts.

@leaders bot!

6 Likes

Closed since it’s an old thread and Necro Spam Bot.