Your pick for rackmount LFF DAS?

Seems DAS shelves aren’t as common as they once were?

Looking recommendations and opinions on 12-16 bay 12g SAS disk shelves that support sata and sas drives. Don’t need RAID in a box, JBOD is fine. Looking mostly to neutral 3rd parties, instead of Dell / HPE / Lenovo.

New or refurb from a reputable reseller that warranties the product.

This is going in a datacenter, so power / noise aren’t priorities. Host machine will have dual port SAS 12g RAID adapter.

Lots of supermicro models on used market. I’ve had DOA or not fully functional within a 30-day return period but Ive never had an issue that wasn’t obvious within 2 weeks of receiving it.

Fwiw, higher risk but much lower cost than certified refurb or new.

So if you go that route, test rigorously as soon as you get it and make sure there’s a reasonable return policy if not some sort of warranty.

I’ve gotten several things from unixsurplus. You can purchase a short warranty (90 day usually) for minimal $$. Again, it’s higher risk but for the savings you can buy more systems for failover/redundancy and still spend much less than new.

3 Likes

Minimal cost isn’t the primary focus here, I’m spending taxpayer dollars so ya know, need to perpetuate the wasteful govt spending stereotypes.

There’s a Supermicro vendor not too far from my location, will reach out next week and enquire about JBOD chassis availability. CDW has the 3U below listed on their website, with 6 week lead-time, but huge lead-times are common these days.

Either of these would fit the bill
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/3U/836/SC836BE1C-R1K03JBOD
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/2U/826/SC826BE1C-R609JBOD

1 Like

Oh yeah, then get new/warranty.

I do like Supermicro because it’s pretty generic. No weird proprietary shenanigans for the most part. OCP options might be worth looking into also. Idk what OCP shelves exist though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.