Your music evolution?

Where did you start (first ever music) how did you get to where you are and what do you listen to now?

i started with classic rock growing up it was that or blues,country and while i enjoy outlaw country like david allen coe and varied blues artist i still cant listen to them for a prolonged period of time before i'm annoyed. I listened to rock n roll tll about 7th grade then i picked up godsmack ( loved there first 2 albums),blink 182 my cousin listened to them a lot, linkin park again loved the first 2 albums havent listened to them since. 9th grade i picked up dream theater from a friend then moved into steve vai,joe  satriani and andy timmons band.,12th grade i started listing to 80s metal ( which i think is hard rock) judas priest, korn ( who i liked for a long time but now not so much) the same for system of a down i think first few albums now cant stand them.. A friend of mine died who was a die hard iron maiden fan. at the time i was so concentrated at what i was listing to i paid no attention to it. but after his passing i picked it up and quickly understood why he loved it so much. i carried that out for quite some time constantly looking for some similar. after that its not as clear to me i moved on to mudvayne,drowning pool,machine head,slipknot,megadeath,dope,firewind,hammerfall all of which i still really like. i no longer listen to metallica haven't since highschool just burnt on it. I picked up a bunch of music from when i drove long haul 2010-2012. after driving about 10hrs a day for a few months you really start to expand your library. I like piano music as well which probably steamed from final fantasy 7,8,10. 

My bro has the biggest 180. he grew up listing to britney spears and nsync ( "i accidently broke that cd") it was an accident but it was the relief feeling not that grief kind lol. but now he listens to death metal and rap.

As a child i liked a lot of different songs - no specific genre. As I grew up I was more and more into stuff like Metallica, Rammstein, In Extremo etc. - With ~14 yrs I was a (Black-, Death-)Metal-only narrowminded person (but with a very good taste in this genre ;) )

With Ulver came the change. I just followd their development from (Black-) Metal over Experimental/Avantgarde stuff, over Electronical Music/Trip Hop to WhatEverSoundsGood. Today I'm listening mostly to "unique" music. I don't know how to phrase it different - It's mostly music that is more complex or music that has a certain twist or idea in it. And I can find this kind of music in any genre. (No matter if it is hip hop, house, dubstep, Metal, country, folk, classical, jesus-loves-you-music or whatever, as long as the music is good!)

I forgot all about rammstein I listened to them a lot with the first sound system i put in my car. started with sony went full jl audio .still have that system 11 years later i'd say pretty good quality. there is just some music that drives me up walls though. i particularly hate the common lets repeat this lyric 50 times cause i forgot i said it. but ya im with ya as long as its good it doesnt matter. I find that with trip-hop techno or whatever seems i like the 10% I do a lot of skips on spotify,slacker,pandora with that genre though pandora hits the mark better it seems, but metal i like slacker more. i dunno. i dont download music anymore streams are fine with me

As a child I always hated music because all I heard was pop. Pop music is not for me. Every now and then I would hear a song that I didnt mind (Pop rock) but it wasnt until i started listening to Gorillaz that i started to realize there was good music out there back when I was 12-13. After a while I found Metalica, It was fun listning to and singing along and that started my metal adventure. Which quickly jumped into Power Metal. 

Bands like Blind Guardian, Kamelot and Rhapsody of Fire became my thing (And still are) and I slowly started adventuring into more and more genres. Prog Metal, Heavy Metal not to mention Jazz, Blue grass, Classical, Dubstep (For when i just want bass), Swing Step.

I still cant stand 99.999% of pop music. Cant stand 99.999% of Rap. But I like enough genres and enjoy them enough that as long as anyone that is listening to my music has any sort of taste in music will enjoy something on my playlists.

Well for me I grew up in a big city and strangely enough started out with rap music. Until the 5th grade when a friend of mine let me borrow Smashing Pumpkins Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. This got me into alternative rock. I hit high school and discovered punk rock The Stooges, Sex Pistols, Ramones, FiFi, Velvet Underground, The Slackers, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedy's, New York Dolls, The Misfits, The Dead Boys etc. I also like the newer punk rock AFI, NOFX, Penneywise, Operation Ivy, The Dead Milkmen. Also in this period I had a thing for the Emo music this might sound hipster but this was emo before it was emo. Alkaline Trio, The Get Up Kids, The Anniversary, Reggie and the Full Effect, Thursday, From Autumn to Ashes, Thrice, At the Drive In. Then at the end of high school I found Led Zeppelin and this made me realize the roots of punk rock and started to listen to 60's-80's classic rock all the greats The Who, Pink Floyd which is my favorite, all the way from this to the hair of the 80's. Then in my early 20's I found early 80's metal Dokken, Iron Maiden, Dio, Slayer,  pre Black Album Metallica, etc. You get the jist I have a very broad taste when it comes to my rock music I have not lost taste for much of this music I enjoy mostly late 60's-late 90's punk music, the post hardcore scene of the late 90's-early 00's the emo and indie bands of the same period. And of course the greats of the 60s-70's. I also have to say my guilty pleasure is Rush their first album is awesome and Caress of Steel last 2 tracks are an epic master piece. If you are into Progressive rock and haven't heard Caress of Steel I recommend you listen to it.

I grew up listening to members of my family playing music.  From zydeco and cajun, to country, to southern styled blues-rock, and Mom's piano playing.  I really liked heavy blues, and continue to till this day, although there hasn't been just a whole lot of diversity within the genre over the years.  Mom passed along Joni Mitchell, Elton John, and Phil Collins, lol, among others.

I got into rock with AC/DC around the age of 12 or so, and found myself listening to Metallica pretty quickly, but then grunge hit, and I became a fan of Soundgarden, STP, Days of the New, White Zombie etc...I bought a cd from a local store, and there was a black and white mail order form folded up inside from the label, Century Media.  A good friend and I proceeded to place check marks next to the names of bands that just sounded awesome.  Boom, there was Neurosis, Cradle of Filth, Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, and I was in love.  I also found myself listening for diversity, with Buckethead, Primus, Tool, Pantera, and various progressively art-inspired prodigious groups.

I was a metal-only guy for about 4 years or so, until I met a group of guys on the east coast that showed me a more diverse library that I could enjoy, if I'd just open my mind.  One of them was a fan of the radio-friendly rock, like Stained and Linkin Park (which I swore a hatred of, but started to enjoy after a time...ashamedly, lol), and also enjoyed the stoner-y Sublime, Dave Matthews, Dispatch type of stuff.  Another showed me how fun the various types of punk could be, and how awesome the scenes were, and also brought classic Van Halen into the foreground for me.

I now collect vinyl, and have anything from avant-garde jazz, to folk metal, to well, you get my drift.  I've been going through life finding a bit of interest here and there, and am now able to define what I like, not in words, but in collecting those things and enjoying them to the fullest.

As a kiddie I listened to anything that was on the radio. All that pop nonsense. But slowly my preferred genre turned into rock, whatever "rock" songs came on the radio, that being Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Billy Talent, etc. Then I got into harder rock/light metal, Avenged Sevenfold, Rise Against, Seether.

And from those dark beginnings, as I looked for more music and got more into metal, my gateway band became Opeth for awesome, just epic metal. All the previous bands were wiped from my library and as I got into classic thrash and progressive metal. Right now, I'm getting more into melodeath. I think it'd be interesting to compare my music taste in 5 years to now.

I started on classic rock, both my parents. Then around 5th grade I started getting into hard rock more. Then in middle school I discovered Metallica after hearing Master of Puppets on the radio, and thought, I need to hear more of this. And so that was my plunge into metal. Then my freshman year of high school, and a friend were comparing music on our laptops, and he introduced me to DeadMau5 (Ghosts N Stuff) and thus I entered the world of EDM, while maintaining my love for metal. My Sophomore year another friend introduced me to Savant, and thats where my taste in EDM changed to pretty much just Savant, although I do enjoy Deadmau5 for long drives. My Junior/Senior year I started to really get into Alternative Rock. From then on I pretty much listened to everything from classic rock, to hard rock, to metal, and, well, Savant covers every genre in EDM, and he even released a metal album back before he started EDM. 

I practically listen to everything except Pop, country, and rap.

I love KMFDM, they are waaay underrated. I recently have been on an Industrial kick, so I will check out your lists, hopefully there is some Drum and Bass included because I have listened to all the DnB I have downloaded so much that its pretty dry.

Dr.Demento and all the great comedy music because the world was suffering under the influence of Micheal Jackson. Found metal later. Now my tastes are electronic metal or a mix almost anything.

For me I started listening to my own music in the late 90's early 00's at the age of 11/12 so I got completely caught up in the Nu-Metal wave, everyone else was getting into Hip-Hop which I never could stand so I guess I went the other way.

I bought my first 3 albums at the age of 12 in 2000 and they were Papa Roach's Infest, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory and Deftone's White Pony and still till this day I listen to those albums with no shame know they once meant something to me in a period of my life and if it weren't for those albums I may have never gotten into real metal eventually, and by the end of 2001 I started listening to some Black Sabbath and Ozzy's solo stuff as well.

Being a angst Teen at this stage I got onto listening to more heavier band's in 2003 like Slipknot, Mudvayne, Machine Head etc. The more mainstream metal bands but metal nonetheless and it was that very year I discovered my fave metal band (and my favorite band of all time but there not a metal band at all so I'l leave them out of this) which happens to be Slayer when playing GTA Vice City, heard Raining Blood play on the in-game radio and became instantly obsessed.

Eventually I picked up other band like Opeth, Mastodon, Scar Symmetry, Nevermore etc. some mainstream some underground, doesn't matter to me metal is metal if I like it I like, I'm nor a Hipster Metalhead or Mallcore Metalhead but honestly I like a bit of both of both worlds.

I say I am a Metalhead but only because Metal is my favorite genre but I do listen to other rock based genres from punk pop to punk rock and progressive rock to indie rock etc. Hell even my favorite band isn't classed as metal but for some reason I find myself obsessing over Metal above all else.

I myself grew up in an Urban Environment (New York City) so my Early years were a bit fuzzy and weird when it came to Music.

But to Keep it short and sweet.

My Early Childhood around the age of 8, my father showed me bands like , Black Sabbath, W.A.S.P, Billy Idol, Depeche Mode, Talking Heads, Bauhaus, Metallica, Sisters of Mercy, AC/DC Nirvana stuff like that didn't understand it at the time but i'm kinda glad i was aware for an early age.

As I reached my early teens (13-14 years of age) I started Listening to Hip-Hop and alittle bit of Rock (I couldn't escape the likes of Hip-Hop and Rap Anyways it was everywhere.)  Nas, DMX Big Pun, Jay-Z, Eminem, 50 Cent, Marilyn Manson, Disturbed, Limp-Bizkit, Linkin Park (one of my Old time Favorites).

Around Middle School (Junior High) Age 15 or so,   I started Exploring Metal a bit more, with more Disturbed, Slipknot, Wednesday 13, Deftones, Evanescence, AFI, and Nine Inch nails stuff like that. still have a little love for these bands today.

The End of Middle School going in to High School (Age 16) I guess My Taste in metal grew even further but this time i explored heavier metal, The Heaviest at the time first being Slayer,  Early Cradle of Filth (2008 so that was around the Thornography era of Cradle when they started going down hill) and Cannibal Corpse (The first album i heard from Cannibal being "Kill") , and alittle bit more Black Metal, later down the road Like Darkthrone, Burzum, Carpathian Forest, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir.

Later close to the End of High School I had an Electronic Phase where I listened to Electronic / EBM music and Futurepop, Stuff Like VNV Nation, :Wumpscut: Apoptygma Berzerk, FGFC820, Dawn of Ashes, Psyclon Nine, Die Sektor still have these bands on my phone.

Now After High School and now In College, I listen to a little bit of Black Metal, and Much more Heavy Metal, however i am aware of some hip-hop and Rap cause my friends keep me up-to-date with "What's Hot" I Secluded myself from hip-hop so i don't listen to it as much but its still in my life now cause of my close friends.