"You don't use an OS, you use the apps"

Well i dont speak for Linux.
But wenn i speak of Windows10 and OSX, then yeah you basiclly use the apps and the online services on which those particular operating systems are build up on.

1 Like

To say that you just use the apps is to ignore the workflow that the operating system sets up for you. If people just used apps, then Windows 8 wouldn't have been the PR nightmare for Microsoft that it was (not that Microsoft cared what users think, hence Windows 8.1).

Much to my dismay, I've had Windows on my main desktop, and it has negatively affected my work in spite of the fact that I have all of the tools at my disposal (in some cases, the very same applications that I use in Linux) that I need to get my work done. The Windows workflow is just inefficient. I also rail against desktop environments in Linux that seek to emulate Windows' workflow, like Cinnamon.

I'm going to be frank here, the windows 8 workflow was the best ever and 8 is therefore my favorite. Hit meta, search not only for apps, but any file or folder on the system. I used to use conky in windows XP to do that. Also, the alt tabbing was the fastest and you could put ctrl alt delete back to the task manager if you wanted to. It by far had the best workflow of any windows. And by best I mean fastest.

That doesn't mean it still wasn't a slow pile of wank, it just wasn't as slow...

Using a computer because you want to interact with the OS is just stupid. If I am on a computer, it is because I am trying to get something done. Maybe file management, maybe gaming, maybe internet browsing, maybe coding, whatever. I can do that in all sorts of OSs. And I can do most of what I need to do on most of the OSs. Sure, you have to go about it different ways, but worrying about what OS you are using is stupid. I have linux, I have windows. I use whatever works best for what it is that I am trying to get done.

I'll continue to be Levitance. :slight_smile: Windows 7 and Vista. Hit meta, search for apps, files, and folders. 8 had nothing new there. What it did have, however, was an irritating start page which ripped users away from the tasks that they were doing. If people stopped to think about it, that's really what all the hubub was about. Being ripped away.

Technically speaking, Gnome Shell does a similar thing. Hit meta, and you're taking to a new full screen menu. The difference is that the full screen menu is relevant to what you're working with. All of your windows are now mini versions of themselves. It's surprisingly amazing, but this GUI process has replaced the alt tab keyboard shortcut for me. It's just faster than making my mind context switch to what the icon of the window I want looks like, rather than just the window itself.

Actually it cut out a lot of the meaningless search algorithms that had to run next to the shit you were actually looking for that was still left over from XP.

8's search is much much faster.

Well, I'll have to take your word about 8, specifically. However from my experience, there's no noticeable difference between 7, 2008, and 2012.

You're comparing a desktop OS to a server OS.

Ok. Lol. I dunno shit about that joke of an OS.

Spoiler alert. There's not a whole lot "server" about 2008 and 2012. It's really just a licensing scam. :slight_smile:

1 Like

99% of the reason companies buy into enterprise licensing is so they have someone to sue and/or fix shit when a failure costs them money. It's not a scam, it's part of the legal climate in tech. Redhat serves the same function for linux, and IX systems does the same for SAN/NAS installations spun up on freebsd.

IF! I'm able to posion the arp cache on my home router. AND IF! I'm able to posion the arp cache on my wife's iPad - (to obviously spy on her while she is on TMZ) via my computer over the LAN

Am I not using using an exploit in the arp cache which is in layer 2 and stored in the Kernel. The request on my machine is from useland down how're on their machine it never gets to the user space. Therefore am I not using their operating systems to help me secretly keep up with the kardashians?

I don't know, you decide.

1 Like

You're in an iSoftware ecosystem, so:

You use the apps, not the OS

Checkmate, atheists.

8 Likes

Erm, no.

Hey, I left room for edge cases.

[Also I'm obviously oversimplifying. You're smart, right? Use context clues.]

License to use some feature or other != support contract with damage liabilities.
You buy licenses not to sue somebody, you buy them not to get sued yourself.

It's a two way street, sure. My point was that it wasn't extortionate.

Ask not what you do to your kernel, but what your kernel does for you!

I think someone famous said that.

1 Like

First off, I'm just fooling around.

"You don't use an OS, you use the apps and then the apps use the OS."

But yeah, I use my OS all the time.