Yet another frustrating thing about "Linux". Lowest denominator refresh rate

The problem is, that I know more people using dual monitor setups, than than those who doesn’t.

In my opinion, it has to work flawlessly.

1 Like

I would love to go team devil, if only they had GPU passthrough, to more than just 'nix guests I’d give it a real try

1 Like

Thats what happens when you have like less than a dozen developers, not to mention most are probably working on it in their spare time. Things take a while.

that’s just what you get when desktop linux just isnt a commercial product at any scale. Its a hobby project.

RedHat do, you can see this in their OS (the compatability, and cross version support etc.) but they have no real interest in desktop apart from a usable workstation on limited hardware.

One of the issues with Linux on the desktop is for it to work you really need to get hardware for linux, not put linux on what hardware you have.

You wouldn’t expect OSX to run perfectly on PC hardware, not expect windows to work perfectly on mac hardware. Linux is the same. You need to use the right, compatible hardware. When you do it works nice.

1 Like

You’re not alone, fam. I legitimately see your point and agree with it for the most part.

Just know that there are people out there trying to make it better. Time, money, and resources are often constraints.

Sure.
What in particular do you want to see?

1 Like

Your opinion is just as valuable as everyone elses.

Most people, however, only have a single screen.

I am glad you know a lot of people with multiple monitors.

It’s getting there

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Bhyve-GPU-Passthrough-2019

1 Like

The xorg.conf file and the X Server settings for 60hz and 144hz monitor. Make sure the Advanced is showing, please.

And there is yet another problem with “Linux”. Time, money, and resources…
If there wasn’t so many branches of branches of branches, there would be more time and resources available. But nope, there has to be 25 Ubuntus.

And what is up with the donations to these distro pages? I don’t see what most of of these distros actual make, except modified desktop interfaces? Who is actually ensuring that, let’s say asynchronous refresh rates actually work without a problem?

1 Like

I recommend Linux not because it’s better (it is), but because it maintains your freedom.

And when you get there, it’s more of a kit for a Shelby GT than the Honda Civic that Windows is.

Yep, the windows squeak when you roll them down and sometimes it has trouble with hot starts, but it’s more fun, and more free. (as in freedom)

That and the car isn’t spying on you.

Linux isn’t getting them because it’s not the default option, not because of wrong priorities.

Also, I wasn’t telling you to get out of the pool. I was telling you that it’s in the process of getting fixed, and that if you’d like to speed it up, they’d love your help, but to expect them to do it instantly is unrealistic.

looks at my single monitor

oh.

Of course, it’s got thicc pixels.

5 Likes

Often time the developers of the desktop environment themselves.

You can see the topic about multiple refresh rates in the latest post here

https://blogs.gnome.org/shell-dev/

Often it is a joint effort – Ubuntu devs push upstream to Debian (used to) and Ubuntu MATE devs push to MATE and Ubuntu, on and on it goes. Some teams have companies and organizations (POP!_OS, Ubuntu, Fedora) and some have just the community (Debian, Arch Linux, Gentoo). The DEs tend to be a separate branch unless they’re integrated like Ubuntu and Gnome are, or POP!_OS and Gnome are.

It’s a blessing and a curse. Innovation happens because children of today want to experiment with what hasn’t been. The greybeards of yesterday either let a project die or are fortunate enough to have someone take over.

2 Likes

Yep.

The problem is that having that sort of thing is fairly uncommon in the developer scene, so people have to either provide hardware for testing, report bugs, or start developing.

The problem with your analogy, is that the GT wheels sometimes fall of, or are not fastened to the car. You then have to either fix it yourself. If you don’t have the tools for it, you have to make someone else fix it. And they may not want to.
And sometimes the tires are missing, and there simply isn’t tires to be found unless you manufacture them yourself.
No tires, no freedom at all.

I haven’t experienced that on something that was not self-inflicted for like 5 years.

Some distros are designed to not include tires because they don’t know if you want economy or drag slicks.

2 Likes

(one of the best parts…)

You are not deploying the crowbar effectively enough, if they are failing to comply to your demands.

I agree with you partially here. I have found windows “just works” as a desktop more of the time then Linux does. But not all of the time.

Let’s be constructive here rather than just arguing. Do you have any ideas to help fix this?

As far as I know, pretty much all of this Ubuntus, maybe not PopOS!, use the exact same repositories as the main Ubuntu does. Then they add a repository or two for their desktop and themeing.

So %95 of the software in the repositories for these other Ubuntus is shared effort with the main Ubuntu team. Oh, and the Ubuntu people pull packaging source code and help(at least some) with Debian, so there is some effort that is shared.

Also, hot topic

5 Likes

If you want to build a house In a land of few resources, it’s a bad idea to use the resources on 25 houses.

Let’s clearly define the issue:

This is not an xorg problem, from what I can tell. It’s a Gnome issue.

I’m running asynchronous refresh rates on i3 and everything that moves on my desktop (admittedly not much) is just fine:

Gnome has patches in to handle this IIRC, it just needs to be released and then be adopted by distros.

1 Like

Wayland + Nvidia…

I bet he’s running a modern card, too. (Nothing wrong with this, I am too)

I’d be curious to see the Xorg.conf and nvidia settings

When I first used Linux I compiled all the tires myself… It took some time.

This is a larger issue. Whos using Linux desktop? Linux developers (sometimes), and people on Linux only network (rare). Any issues that come up or anything anyone wants to develop on the desktop is primarily for those limited people developing and running Linux systems in the first place.

Sure we get nice things, but you just have to accept that desktop Linux is the way it is. small scale, self managing, there’s no support number to call. Its unlikely your machines been tested because you are probably the tester in the first place.

That’s just kind of the nature of it. Even Valves stint in Linux has barely moved the needle, and Valve has been on the linux desktop for 7 years.

4 Likes