Yellowness of my Imperial Fist

Just getting into 40k - did used to sort of play 10+ years ago as a small person - as much as was possible with small person moneys. Anywho painting up my first Imperial Fist - Trying to be as dirty yellow as possible whilst still clearly being yellow.

Lighting isn't great, this is the same stage of painting in both pics - so far gone 2 or 3 layers of "barbarian leather" [Coat d'arms], followed by 2-ish layers of averland sunset [GW], and a layer of averland sunset mixed with "golden yellow" [Coat d'arms] (1:1 mix). Been applying the layers very thin, as I don't want to lose detail and I'm quite n00b.

Considering doing another mixed layer, as above - followed by possibly Lamentor Yellow Glaze [GW]. Anyone else collect Imperial Fists? Any Yellow tips? Throw your comments

Will post an update when I actually finish the model, pretty fun so far.

2 Likes

Did five Imperial Fists some years ago...

I started with a white+grey base colour with airbrush, then some layers of sunburst yellow and after that a dark brown wash. so i guess kind of the opposite approche of you.
Havent done anything for ages now (at least it feels like that) :/

1 Like

Wow! Nice, I look forward to having a go with an airbrush some day - not really practical where I am currently living.

What did you do for the blacks, on the Heavy Bolter in particular - seems like a nice matt black, the black from my GW spray seems a bit shiny for my liking at the moment - (although it doesn't look it in the pictures). Grey highlights afterwards?

-- Nice skull helmet also.

Thanks!

hmmm, if I remember correct then I painted the black parts with a vallejo "german army grey", then gave them a black wash and added some highlights with a lighter grey after.
ohh, and a satin-finish clearcoating!

BANANA MARINES!!!

Nice, I want to get into Warhammer tabletop but its expensive and I don't know anyone who plays.

Thanks!

hmmm, if I remember correct then I painted the black parts with a vallejo "german army grey", then gave them a black wash and added some highlights with a lighter grey after.
ohh, and a satin-finish clearcoating!

Awesome - I will investigate. I have been looking at the Vallejo paints, but haven't tried any yet. Went with Coat d'arms for the value, and a select few GW ones that I particularly like.

BANANA MARINES!!!

Nice, I want to get into Warhammer tabletop but its expensive and I don't know anyone who plays.

Ah that's a pain, I'm lucky(?) in that several of my friends have been playing for ages. One of them probably has at least 2000 points of most armies as hes been collecting for over 12 years, and never sells stuff. So atm I just use his models - also I've heard there are certain russian websites which have copies of all the codex, and rulebooks; freely available in several formats... [I guess you could try and google: russian website warhammer codex]

One of my local comic book type stores has a selection of 2nd hand Warhammer - so I plan to try and get most of my stuff from there as long as it hasn't been drowned in 5mm of undercoat spray (really wish people would google how to use a spray can), which seems to be the case for a lot of the stuff they have. This makes it cheaper - certainly Warhammer can be expensive, more so if you buy it all new, especially certain armies e.g. orks

Depending on how brave you are you could try a local games group for people to play against.

1 Like

As promised finished the first test guy, definitely things to improve on for the next few I paint - overall pleased.

That looks really good. Just gotta remember that there is beauty in simplicity when it comes to painting a lot of minis. In my game group most of us just paint to "Table Standard" which is color coated, some light detail on the weapons, and the like. Having a few showcase models in your army is good, but for the bulk of your army you don't need to go balls out with the painting; all the detail work will get lost in the mass.