XPS 15 - replacing Killer wifi card with Linux friendly card

Hi Everyone.

I want to replace the Killer wifi card in my new XPS 15 with a Linux friendly card because well, I want to run Debian. Which wifi card would you recommend? I have gigabit internet speed and realize that wifi may not reach quite that speed but none the less. Any plug and play cards out there that work out of the box?

Coming from custom built watercooled systems to laptops is a little a bit of a transition LOL.

Thank you.

First make sure the laptop vendor is not enforcing a wifi adapter whitelist.

The Intel 9260 is widely available, very cheap and compatible with Linux. It should be a side grade from the one already installed in your notebook. If you want something more up to 2020 specs you could get the AX200 which is still Linux supported and has WiFi 6 built in. either of them will work out of the box with Linux.

1 Like

I can confirm this is not the case with DELL on their XPS line.

All, thank you for your suggestions/concerns. I will go with a AX200 to future proof the laptop.

Everyone, I can confirm that the AX200 works without issue on the XPS 15 7590 using Pop OS. Also, I can confirm that Corsairs 16 gig kit of DDR4 2666, cas 18, works on the XPS 15 7590 without issue.

Part number for AX200 -> AX200NGW
Part number for Corsair 16 gig kit -> CMSX16GX4M2A2666C18

As a side note, Pop OS 19.10 works with the laptop without issue. Literally follow the guides for setting up the BIOS, boot, install and use. Amazing quality thus far.

2 Likes

Thank you for keeping us updated. :slight_smile:

Just to add a reference point - the Killer card in my 9560 has worked fine on Manjaro with no issues for 1+ years.

Cool. I heard mixed reviews w/ the Killer card for Linux specifically and the AX600 card was not expensive anyways so I just bought it.

I can also confirm that the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME m.2 SSD works in the XPS 15 7590 without issue.

Part number -> MZ-V7S250BW for the 250 gig version.