XMP on Threadripper 2nd Gen

I’ve got a Threadripper 2950x running in an Asrock x399m taichi motherboard, with 64 gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz RAM (4x CMK16GX4M1B3000C15), which I use a machine learning workstation. I’m running on the latest BIOS (3.7.0). This is my first desktop build and I don’t have any overclocking experience.

Unfortunately, my RAM is running at the base speed of 2133 MHz instead of it’s rated speed. I first tried just checking the enable XMP button, and windows blue screened before booting. I walked the XMP rating down in steps all the way down to 2133 (but with tighter timings), and even though I was able to get things to boot, I ended up crashing again after a few hours of heavy load.

When I look at the Motherboard’s QVL list it has several 2933/3000 C16 Corsair memory modules qualified at 2933, so it seems like I should be able to get my 3000 C15 modules to run at 2933, but I haven’t been able to do so.

This morning, I decided to get more serious about dialing in an overclock manually, and I started following the MemTestHelper guide, which suggested starting by backing off on the timings (to 16-20-20-40), and then seeing how high of a clock you could get. I was able to get booted at as high as 3000 MHz, but it crashed in a matter of minutes. I started running memory stress tests with Karhu RAM Test, and even with the relaxed timings, I was getting errors down as low as 2400 MHz.

I poked around on the level one forums, and I found the “Memory Unleashed on Threadripper: 128gb & 2933 & ECC tested” thread about running threadripper with 128 gb of ram, using G.Skill 2933 modules. There was a post suggesting that I increase my SOC voltage to 1.1 V, but even that + relaxed timings doesn’t let me run at 2933. Also in that thread it was suggested that the G.Skill modules used are the best modules available for threadripper, and I looked into buying some, but it looks like a full set of 4 would cost 850 bucks, which doesn’t seem worthwhile.

I’m sort of tearing my hair out, since with the few minutes of benchmarks I’ve been able to run say that if I can get 2933 stable, I’d be looking at 16% performance uplift (machine learning with tensorflow), which would be really nice. I’m still running tests to see if I can get any overclock stable with 1.1 V SOC + relaxed timings. I do need an incredibly stable overclock, since ML training runs can take multiple days to complete.

Is there anything obvious I’m missing? I’m a little concerned that I ended up with memory modules that are too low end to really get any sort of overclock, since the ones I have are 1/4 the price of the “recommended” G.Skill ones - is that correct?

I have my 2950x running a corsair 64g kit at 2993, didn’t have to touch vsoc but increased vddr (something) to 1.385 IIRC. I have XMP turned off, copied the timings from the ram specs into the bios no problem.

I could hit 3200 SOMETIMES but not consistently. That machine is a server now, and a huge improvement over the antique Xeon it replaced. Went with a Ryzen 7 for my daily driver and gamer.

1950X, x399 Designare, 64GB Gskillz F4-3600C16D-16GTZ.
I could boot in XMP, but it wouldn’t pass stress testing with Memtest. Manual downclock to 3400mhz and 1.35v was rock stable at XMP timings.
They are finicky…

Just tried 2933, rated timings, @1.385V, and it crashed before booting into windows.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.