XFX Radeon HD 7950 3gb

I'm wondering what it would take to do a tiny overclock on the XFX Radeon HD 7950 GPU.  

It clocks at 800MHz stock and I would like to bring it to 1000MHz.  

From my little understanding of overclocking that isn't too much.  I'm wondering what it would cost to make sure the GPU lasts long enough for it to become technically obsolete rather then me melting it down.

So what I need to know.  

-Will the stock GPU fan keep it cold enough?

-Will the Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX Mobo be capable of it? Should I consider a different mobo? (I'm right at the edge of my budget as is)

-And above all am I likely to notice the 200MHz difference in my rendering speeds and FPS?

Yes to all of the above. You don't need to worry about melting your card - It is designed to withstand temps up to 100C or so. Not to mention that is it got near that hot it would underclock itself to lower the temp. Now, having your card constantly in 70C would shorten its life, but it won't kill it. 

I'll assume that the second yes only applies to the mobo being capable of the overclock.  Thanks!

Also I'm curious about your selection for MSI Afterburner.  It that personal preference? Or have you seen other softwares screw up GPU's and the such?

I think it looks nice and it does what I need it to do. As far as I know, GPU overclocking doesn't need a special motherboard since you aren't doing it in BIOS.

The sapphire flex overclocks much better imo, and is higher quality. Also it will likely last a lot longer since there are lots of horror stories of xfx 7000 series overheating