Xfx r9 fury x

Hi,

I am shopping for new GPU and I Found this :

its around 300 $. my query is this worth buying. I can wait till vega but if that will be above 500-500 $ it will be out of my budget.

Thanks,
Ripu Daman

I would say
kindof worth buying. It performs somewhere between a 1060 and 1070, (about 5-15% slower than the 1070 on average) so if you compare the price to a 1070 with that in mind then it can be a very good deal. However only having 4gb of memory (even if HBM) is still a bit of a limiter in a few games.

So it just depends on the price, and the price of the 1070 where you are. if this card is $300 and the 1070 is $500, I would definitely go for the Fury X. But if the 1070 is $350 or 400 then it becomes less obvious of a choice.

If the ever so slightly extra cost per month in electricity doesn't bother you, then go for it. That's not a horrible deal and you can still resell it for a Vega card later this year.

New 1070 Cheapest I can find is £362.69 that's around 450$

you can get it cheaper on ebay if you want it. by itself you should wait for vega till june.

Man, that's about what I spent on my 290x a couple years ago... Oh the times change so fast in electronics. I like the innovation with Fury, though I haven't researched how the limited 4GB HBM RAM compares to something with 8GB, and you should (just for fun, it's what we do here), but a 390x 8GB looks to be closer to $400 on New Egg.

I just googled the vega stuff, and wow looks like they are pricing them real low‽ Starting at $240 for the 480s? BUT, that's in June... Was gonna say just buy it, but if this will be your only build for a few years and vega is really priced that low I'd wait I guess. Sigh.

I wish I could get a fury for not 500 bucks this is fucking bullshit.

they sold out at the $300 price but the non-X fury is pretty cheap right now @FaunCB

That looks like a really solid price to me. I was thinking of grabbing a Fury X my self when they were around $300 here, ended up getting a non-X Fury for about $260 instead (slightly better price:performance ratio). But that cooling on the Fury X is really worth the extra money, imo. I am still kind of upset that I didn't grab it when I had the chance. Good performance, great cooling, all around awesome card for that kind of price. As long as your psu can handle it (it can draw like 400-500 watts by itself, iirc), then I would say to definitely go for it.

Wait for Vega, the prices will drop like hot cakes. Then you can blow out on these if Vega doesn't wet your panties.

wait for vega

The problem that I have with waiting for Vega is that there is no promise that it will lower the prices on the current cards at all. My guess is that the Fury and Fury X at around $250-300 slot in to the line up which includes Vega. Vega should perform at least as well as the 1080, which would put it in the $500-600 range (depending on how AMD plans on pricing things). So I don't think that it will affect the prices of the cards that in the lower end of the line up, since they slot in well with price:performance when compared to the whole line up. If Vega drops for around $350, then I would expect the prices of the Fury line to drop some more, but I just don't see that happening. But if you were to wait for Vega, you could very well miss your chance. They aren't making any more of these cards, so once they sell out, there are no more.

If you don't mind the 4GB of VRAM, it's a good deal. I certainly don't have regrets about my nano, even though that was nearly 500.

The Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro is so quiet though even when gaming. While the Fury X's water cooling sem to vary from being somewhat noisy all the time to unbareably noisy all the time depending on sample and ones sensitivity to higher frequency noise coming from the pump.
I gave my R9 Fury Nitro a slight core bump up to 1100 by just raising the max clock in Radeon Wattman. The card has an extra OC mode (running a second firmware) but I'm not currently using it as it seems I don't have a need for it.

Apart from the first card suddenly died after a couple of months and had to be replaced, I'm pleasantly surprised by this thing. And glad I didn't try an RX 480 after all. The 4GB memory has been of no practical limitation for me so far.

Going forward, 4GB of memory will eventually be an issue. Right now, it should be fine for most things. I don't get why people are claiming wait for Vega. If above $500 is the top end of his budget, then he's not going to have Vega money.

There will be two kinds of Vega, the mid range to compete with 1070s, and highend to compete with 1080s. Both Vegas will guaranteed to lower the rest of AMDs line of cards, especially the Fury line.

Might want to look at this thread.

Though, if you're in the UK I'm not sure how you'd work out shipping.

1 Like