XFR Extended Frequency Range; Incomplete WIP?

well cave had a date with Lisa Su, so I don't know what you are talking about.

6 Likes

Sniffles. I wish i was there.

Have you never ...
here

Now chill.

Yes, Public Relations.

I'm not paid by AMD, so no.

youre being rather abrasive.

Abandon thread!

1 Like

This PR concept has been done before. They get customers to do events where they advertise for free on social media.
Free PR is even better.

@moderators Just close the fucking thing.

if that doesnt work anymore @Zoltan @GigaBusterEXE @Alamar @Phantom

Anyway, I'm disappointed in the discussion thus far.
Hopefully better posters will show up and we can have a positive exchange of ideas.

i heard this thread was pretty dank

i am not disappointed

you mean like people who actually explained to you (wrote before) that XFR is additional boost (of 1-200MHz depending on your cooling) over turbo boost?

5 Likes

If you read the very first post I wrote, I asked a rhetorical question.
I didn't expect anyone to actually agree with it.

well problem is that people here actually spent time researching ryzen platform (with multiple mega threads); also there are people who own ryzen cpu with XFR, and people like cave who knows how it works quite well and had time to speak with engineers. In terms of rhetorical speaking they are far past that. They have actual working experience with it.

Currently XFR is in its first versions, I assume in the future they will take XFR over turbo itself as its better for end-user not to worry about temps at all. XFR is approaching new way of calculating clock boost for every user. Not limiting them within certain ranges like 3.2->3.7GHz if they have sufficient platform that will be stable it will boost further... At this moment ryzen doesn't oc well past 3.9GHz (4GHz requires too much voltage in my eyes) this may be one of many issues with motherboards not the cpu itself - but very well may be the cpu. (i tend to believe its mobo, since there are too many issues there)

2 Likes

Now that is what I was thinking about the motherboards, but I also think as the silicon is improved in the production yields, there will be higher voltages tolerated before either the mainboard or the chip shuts off.

Can't help it, they're on their first generation of 14nm fabrication process. As Global Foundries' process improves we'll see potential higher clocks from AMD's future CPUs.

They are not. They are in first months of mass production of 14nm zen chip.
GloFo has already been producing on 14nm for quite a while (they are on 14nm LPP process, not LPE), and not only polaris, and now zen. It also has been producing IBM Power9 cpu's. Since we'll likely stay on 14nm till 2019, we will see some better 14nm CPU's - but those will be after ryzen. (just like we see polaris 20 on horizon). Early engineer samples for zen were clocked at 2.6-2.9GHz.

Sorry, I meant specifically for AMD's product line not Global Foundries as a whole.

this generation of ryzen cpu's 2017 will not get better.
Its as good as it gets now.

Motherboards will get better, different revisions and chipsets revisions will give it more room for overclocking. As it stands its still early but msi x370 gaming pro carbon had 5 revisions on the market. (I got the revision 5). Revision 5 seems to be giving better overclocking capabilities for cpu, but again has issues with memory clocks. (rev5 gives you ability to run x1700 @4GHz 1.36v, rev1 required 1.4+ for that on x1700, i spoke with few people on msi forums to confirm that. I also think they used different VRM on rev5)

@anon5205053
I just noticed what you wrote previously; do yourself a favor and look up the definition of the word rhetorical.