Xbox One Wireless Controller.. DA PHUQ?

So a long time ago, i asked about which controller is best for PC. And i think that most people pointed me towards the Xbox controller. Rockstar Games is getting rid of the ability to transfer old characters from GTA V Whoopty Edition. I think i'm going to get me a copy of GTA V for PC tomorrow.

However.. after looking at the Xbox One controller i'm in shock. Not to mention frustrated. This piece of shit honestly takes AA batteries? Are you joking me? A rechargeable battery pack sold separately. A wireless adapter sold separately... Although the latter i can somehow understand.

Are you serious? 100+ dollars later?

Is this seriously the only option i have? I'm definitely not going to be playing GTA Online, driving cars with a KB/Mouse... Ew.

1 Like

I bought the the Xbox one controller that supports bluetooth 4.0 and the charge kit i think it was 80 for all.
Or you can get a PS3 controller and DS3 tool.

1 Like

Well... i already have a PS3 controller. I used DS3 Tool in the past. Motionjoy. Same thing, no? And it was whoopty as hell setting it up. Awful experience. And i tried using it again recently for an emulator. The software is pure AIDS. And it couldn't even install properly. I had it working on my old system.

I suppose i could somehow get it working until i can get a proper controller? Also... i'm curious about the Steam Controller. I read that it's the controller to get for 'games that don't support controllers'. I can use it on games that aren't Steam games, right? I plan on playing all the Splinter Cells. All the way from the first game. Is this possible with the Steam controller?

Shameless plug. I Have an xbone controller, battery pack and wireless adapter for sale for like 50 bucks. It's in the buy sale trade area.

2 Likes

No no no. That's outdated, you literally only need one software that sets everything up for you. It's SCPToolKit, get the official 1.2.0.160, or the fan updated 1.2.2.175. I use the official one.

Here's a quick tutorial on it. It's just literally drag and drop folder, and just run the installer once.

If you also have a bluetooth, you can install it using the same software.

4 Likes

I got the steam controller recently and so far I really like it. I personally think it's better than any console controller, the track pads are so nice and easy to use, the haptic feedback is really great as well. It's extremely customisable to the point of insanity. It takes AA batteries as well, but apparently that will get you 80 hours of gaming and you don't need them at all if you are happy to just use a usb cable instead of wireless.

2 Likes

I've come to appreciate the option of having AA batteries into the Xbox controller. I had to open my PS3 controllers to swap batteries and, in one of them, the battery got swallen and broke a tab that keeps the controller toghether. Also they were a pain in the ass to open.

P.S. if the batteries get low it takes a second to swap them out and you don't have to be thetered untill the controllers is charged

1 Like

Seriously you can get the Xbox 360 controller since its practially the same and dirt cheap as well since its last gen console stuff or just get the plentiful aftermarket PC gamepads. As for the 360, yes it munches on AA batteries but there is also a rechargable battery pack as with the 360 but no wireless charging(duh). Also many games do support the Xbox 360 controller.

1 Like

The XBox 360 controller comes as a suggestion I believe because of the wid esupport is has in the PC gaming enviroment. That said I'd recommend get a wired one... Best option IMO No charging required, no signal loss, no software required. Yeah, a dirty cable running to your pc, but what's better? Spending in rechargable batteries? IDK...

1 Like

Ps3/4 controllers are better and cheaper, Internal batteries and recharge circuit and have an actual working dpad. I might have missed the original thread asking for suggestions but no, I would never recommend Xbox any controller.

PS3/4 if you want a conventional controller or ideally a Steam controller because they are far better than everything else, but annoyingly have the same AA battery swapping, but work fine over USB too and the batteries are not in some cancerous lump hanging off the back like an after thought.

2 Likes

I have the original Xbox One. And on top of the controller, their is a micro USB port. Can't you use that to connect it to your computer? I use micro usb to usb cable to connect the controller to the Xbox.

1 Like

The xbone controller works over usb without batteries. I bought a micro-b (I think) cable for a few bucks and that's it. I'd need to worry about wireless for use on a couch or something, not for at my desktop.

PS3/4 is a gamble. My PS3 controller never worked over bluetooth with SCP, and my PS3 console would steal the controller over bluetooth while it was plugged into my PC (!). The newer version of SCP worked at first but broke after I restarted (Win8.1). I don't use it anymore.

For my money, fuck the PS controllers. They'll work until they wont, and then you're boned. Get a 360 controller if you don't care about the dpad (modern games) or get an xbone if you do (modern/emulation). If you only want to emulate games, the iBuffalo SNES replica is good and also less than $15 iirc.

PS the xbone's dpad is godlike. It's clicky/tactile, kinda like the gba.

2 Likes

Just get a set of rechargeable AA batteries and a charger. Get a charger that will handle AA and AAA batteries if can. See the great thing is that a lot of stuff takes AA batteries so you can use them in other stuff and still have a few on the charger ready to go so you never have to plug in your controller. As stated by others, the Xbox One controller will work plugged in without batteries anyway.

2 Likes

Definitely use your own batteries. I remember the expensive 360 battery packs were just normal rechargeable AAs in a plastic case; if you cracked one open you could put them in something else lol

1 Like

PS4 controller. You gotta use a program to get it to work properly though.
https://inputmapper.com has worked really well for me.

1 Like

Steam has native support for ps4 controllers now

2 Likes

Yeah, but only in Steam.
Most emulators use Xinput (xbox controller software) for controller support. As well as other programs.
@FlameSilver That, and I thought they only added DS4 support to the Steam controller API, not to Steam itself. So, it will only work with games that support the Steam controller API.

1 Like

The steam controller api can be used for anything, at least with the steam controller, don't know about the ps4 controller. I just assumed that it would be the same since it's supported now. If you add emulators as none steam games you can customise the steam controller for those

1 Like

@Giulianno_D

Thanks a lot for that. Had no idea about it. My PS3 controller works just fine now. But now the question is... can i use it on non-Steam games? I wanna play ALL the Splinter Cell games! ALL OF THEM! Been eyeing the Splinter Cell Ultimate Collection. Exclusively on PC! :D Gotta get me that.

And thanks for all the replies, everyone. My left analogue stick has some wander/veer to it, though. I'm gonna take a tiny Phillips screwdriver and take it apart. Hopefully i can fix it. It's nothing to worry too much about, though. Fucking sprint in POS CoD. Ugh... I can't believe i used to play that shit.

As for the Xbox One battery issue. Yeah, you know what? I always said to myself that modular designs are probably the best. Because you can just get your own rechargeable AAs. Proprietary stuff 9 times out of ten is just so cheaply made/designed anyway, you're better off finding your own solution. My SPH 9500s and VMODA Boompro for example. Best damn headset ever. LOVE IT!

Any game that supports Xbox controller really, such as games from Origin, Gold Old Games, Uplay, etc...