Xbox GamePass on Linux

I haven’t seen this posted anywhere and I have had a DuckDuckGo but I have not been able to come across anything.

Does anybody know if the Xbox GamePass for PC is able to run?

1 Like

I’m assuming gamepass is probably Win10 only? Even if you could get the services running in Wine, the games themselves would be a case by case basis. And considering this integrates with xbox live or at least it’s infrastructure I’d imagine there is DRM or other network bits that might be difficult to support under Wine? I’m thinking your best bet would be VFIO passthru to a Win10 VM running on your linux host?

Never know tho. MS is getting increasingly cozy with Linux in the enterprise… maybe they’ll surprise us… Won’t hold my breath tho.

1 Like

The Gamepass will most likely be used via the Xbox UWP App.

WINE does not run UWP Apps, so go figure.

Ah, I hadn’t considered what it was written in. The first/last time I installed Win10 I might have went a little overboard during my initial setup looking for anything that was a privacy concern… which is rather pointless but I did it anyways. The xbox apps were one of the first things I attempted to remove…

Am I strange for thinking all these ‘passes’ are like those CD of the month clubs that were once a thing? Perhaps not to that degree but it certainly shares a common ancestry.

1 Like

UWP is dead

we will have to see how this play’s out on release. They know that linux is the tech community’s sights. considering you can run full linux on win10 soon and they are service driven. i dont see them missing the opportunity.

Development on windows has change towards linux based processes

If nothing else I could see MS liking the idea of having the windows… err xbox store on linux. The message they kept to this E3 was player choice, and releasing xbox games on steam might seem to suggest they intend to follow through on that, but I think their end game is to slowly erode the competition from the inside out. I’m sure those games still launch from their own launcher even if they have a steam page. I digress. Regardless if they intend to have a linux based xbox game store offering I have my doubts if they’ll be successful in the end when steam hasn’t (been able to entice AAA devs to produce more Linux games).

Still, they do have some advantages they might be able to leverage thru their toolchains, but it’s not going to happen overnight. Would it be strange if they started using Linux on Project Scarlett? That should hamper backward compatibility though… Wouldn’t it be ironic if they got current gen xbox games to run on next gen thru wine (or even moreso under a fork of proton)? Though it’s more likely they would employ a VM considering those older titles would only need a subset of the next gen hardware… SR-IOV to virtualize a portion of the Navi GPU into a VM running the current gen xbox OS? I must admit that no matter my opinion on the matter, that would be great if they used SR-IOV, as it would mean more commits to that endeavour (at least in the short term).

Whatever happens I think it’s safe to say that MS is following the money. And if they think they are positioned to tap the linux gaming market and make a profit they will do so. That’s fairly self-evident. Is this another play to erode the competition, linux, from the inside? /shrug. I think it’s safe to say you won’t have a good time getting game pass to work on Linux without some level of support from their end. Time will tell.

1 Like

A VM sounds like the answer to this.

However I understand GPU passthrough is the ideal scenario, but at the moment I am only working with one GPU, an RX580 Nitro+.

I’m not looking for the absolute best performance, just to play these games at 60fps, 1080p. So is it possible to use one GPU for the host and the same GPU for the VM? If so, I understand there will be a performance hit; but I’d rather take the hit than buy another gpu.