X99/Haswell-E is a scam, and here's why

I was a bit surprised he did this. When you do this, it throws a ton of errors in WHEA (hardware error reporting) and the system will operate, but "slower" than it does at lower clock speeds. 

We did it first, but didn't put out the video. Tested an Asus Z9 and SuperMicro both dual socket 2011. About 105 is not bad and generally works but 105-115 rarely works and beyond 115 its just lol-nope country.

the 2697 is like a cherry-binned part, so maybe it's special but the 2620/2630/2640 parts, in my experience, don't have much margin (i.e. lucky to get 105 stable on the time scale of running for days or a week) . BUT these parts will stay in turbo 100% of the time on all cores no problem. There is an option on both supermicro and asus that allow 'turbo all the time' instead of having a time limit. 

I would have liked to have seen linus check the windows event viewer for WHEA errors as the system will report errors it encountered, but was able to correct. That's a cool feature you get on xeon platforms. Not sure about x79 but one weird thing also in this video is the 2697 should be for dual socket boards.. 1697 is single socket.. it works... but chipset x79 with this? idk weird.. but thats a story for another time

amd has had dual x16 pcie 2.0 for ages  pcie 3.0 isn't even available yet for amd's chips sadly. there is a hack and asus did manage to pull it off. but i dont have one of those boards so i cant say if it works or not.

isn't it a fact that Intel has better IPC than AMD? if so, then the whole "entry level 6core, blah blah. i can pick up a 16-core AM, blah blah blah' is irrelevant. I mean, that is like saying. "why get a 4-core i5-4690k when i can get an 8-core AMD FX-8350?". 8 is more than 4.... yet in BF4, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Dolphin emulator, Adobe Premier Pro, the intel "blows" it away. also, less power consumption. 

also, that is a USED cpu that you posted. i can get a used 3960x for $530. NEW, the opteron is actually more expensive than a NEW 3960x *looked on amazon*

Also, unless i am mistaken, doesn't the Intel E5-2630 beat the Opteron 3284 SE in most things? and the E5 is $600 NEW. and only 6 cores. (please, correct me if i am wrong on that comparison). 

i also don't find your statement that 'most professionals don't need haswell-E'. 

if you would have said 'most users' then yes... but 'professionals' are the ones that need the power most. 'Professional' denotes that they use the computer to make money.... Time is Money. of course they could use AM3+ or Z97..... but there productivity would be hindered, and they would be doing a lot less, had they invested in a better CPU.

i mean.. am i wrong? please let me know if anything i said was false. 

I am just curious if you don't like Intel, just really love AMD, or honestly believe Haswell-E is a 'scam'. 

I don't understand the X99, (ignoring server usage) I mean if you needed something like this then assuming you had a predecessor how much of a step up can it really be from the last platform or two, considering it probably wasn't worth the extra expenditure for anything much less than a 3930k/4930k anyway.

I mean you could say it's better in that you can get probably slightly better performance for much less with the fancy low-end 6 core parts, but then there is alot of extra cost in this platform associated with the new DDR4, which sure it offers faster speeds and higher capacities, but not really, I mean not yet, at least for a reasonable price... So it probably cancels out any improvement in cost effectiveness. AND you would have to essentially repurchase everything for a tiny incremental performance boost...

Its still going to be an expensive platform. And I checked intel ark and the 5820K only supports 64GB of ram, so your not really getting anything extra on that front.... I don't see what there is too be excited about for anyone who already is in that platform...

but.... in this case, both the low end, and the high end, are getting huge improvements.

on the low end, it is now a 6-cor, up from a 4-core.

and on the high end, it is now an 8-core, instead of a 6-core.

Not to mention DDR4, legit USB 3.0, and all the SATA are 6Gbps. 

your argument really isn't x99 specific though, about not being such a big improvement over the predecessor (even though it is. an Extreme 6core for $390. the first Extreme 8-core). that is like saying 'i don't see the point in upgrading my 2600k to a 3770k.' or, 'i don't see why i should upgrade my 8150 to an 8350'. it would not make much financial sense to dump hundreds of dollars in an upgrade from the hardware directly previous. the price to performance boost isn't justified.

however, they ARE increases, and new computers, or upgrades from older ones will obviously benefit. I don't see THAT many people upgrading from a 4820 to a 5820 (even though it would be 4-core to 6-core), or from a 4960x to a 5960x (even though it will be 6-core to 8-core. although... at those prices, and the 20-33% incease across the board, i bet quite a bit will upgrade for the 5960x, actually). the upgrade will benefit people with older systems, or people who are building a new computer. but that is how it has always been. i mean, when, in recent times, as a new CPU/chipset really justified upgrading from the previous?

I've already ordered mine, running two VMs as well as databases and a bunch of services on the guests and host OS I jumped at the chance to get 12 threads for less than $689 (AUD), I've been hanging out for a long term platform for my development needs, the bump from the 4 threads on my 3570k should be grand.

Indeed i also saw that video of Linus, and i realy frown my eyebrows.. like what?

Those xeons normaly dont have much margin, and they will be realy hard to get passed 105 stable, without trowing errors in WHEA...

I can't imagin that he got it stable at 113 base without any errors in WHEA

THe Asus X79 deluxe supports the 2697V2, but still....

i wanne see it render 4K video in an extended period of time, to see if its realy that "stable" as he claims it is...

Im personaly realy doubting about this. Just an Aida64 stress test for a few minutes does not tell me anything...

Technically we don't need computers. We don't need the internet. Obviously you take that away and there will be an angry mob in front of your door. So what someone buys into the x99 platform? Their money. Not like it's going to effect you and it's not like it's a rip off and actually offers better than the previous x79 platform.

The latest consumer technology is usually priced to take advantage of entusiasts. There is usually much more value when you look a step or two below the top while getting most of the performance.

X9x has stopped making any sense to me since last year or so.

C60x on the other hand is still my favourite platform.

Price doesn't even matter when the system is really getting used to spec for business. So multi-Xeon FTW.

Leaves the question what X99 is... it's not a scam... but it's a luxury product, there is actually a market for this, and it's not a professional market, it's not videographers or editors, not people with advanced computer knowledge, it's actually a product for gamers, the same kind of gamers that buy 780ti's and Titans.

People that need more power for business would get a C602 and a couple of Xeons and ECC memory.

I also thought 113 was slightly completely insane. Did he ever say how he acquired the chip? If he did I might have missed it but I had the idea that it might be a cherry picked chip by Intel that was gifted to Linus. Maybe a sponsor deal? Or maybe he just got lucky. They are the highest of the high end Xeon after all. He really should have checked more carefully for errors or at least showed that there were none if thats the case. I don't know how much his rock solid statement means without more proof... Very weird.   

Guys I think what he is really getting at is that most pc enthusiasts (most meaning majority which does exclude some) do not need 40 lanes or that much power. Logan himself said that that you can go with a high end gpu and low end cpu and still have 80 tp 90 percent of the performance in gaming and other gpu related tasks. As for the op's situation that opteron kills the intel cpu. and for the GAMERS USE 4K arguement, after a certain point its all just upscaling. yes I said it upscaling. Hate to break it to you but battlefeild 4 textures arent at a very high resolution. And even with the 8k textures mod no gpu setup could even play it. By scam he is implying things about the practicality not stealing from you. truth be told id go with an amd opteron setup rather than this x99 crap because i really don't care if i can quad sli 4 gpu's at 8x.  And as for zoltan, you do realize businesses have budgets when setting up this kind of thing? The price does infact matter unless its a fortune 500.

So in short, for most x99 isn't practical nor cost effective. And for those who need the power amd options are sometimes much much better. 

It was an "expermental" or Pre-Release/review whatever version of the chip ( forget the name they put, Engineering Sample?). It was not an off the shelf chip. So it either came from Intel straight to him or he know someone who was given it. Either way from Intel. 

I kind of feel like the Intel enthusiast platform is like a Ferrari for me. I would like to have one. But I have no need to do 195mph. It would just be cool just to know that you can. So its really impractical for me. I also like ASUS new black and white color. That would look nice in my define. 

I have been getting a little upset with all the sites and YouTube channels that have thumbnails and articles like Intel 8-core gaming system.  

Well, they have to do their share of marketing in exchange for the free stuff they get, don't they?

Maybe there are among them so out of touch with reality to think people buy a Haswell-E for gaming, but I think those are the minority.

Not to turn this into a system build comparison but consider this,

CPU - $330 for a 4790k vs $390 for a 5820k                 

Ram - $180 for 4x 4gb (Crucial Ballistic 1600 Cas 9) vs $225 for 4x 4gb (Crucial Ballistic 2400 Cas 15)          

Motherboard - Asus Z97-A for $140 vs Asus X99-A for $280

So for a difference in platform cost, for what I'll call a solid entry system, we get $245 (at launch). (I know the parts could be different, I'm using the same models to be fair as I can). For for this your getting a cpu with 2 extra cores, albeit slightly slower ones giving better multi-thread performance, taking a slight hit in single thread. You get an extra 12 PCIe 3.0 lanes, giving you the ability to run a graphics card + PCIe based ssd's + another PCIe  3.0x8 device in the same system (and the option of adding a thunderbolt card). You also get better performing memory, as well extra memory slots making 64gb possible.

I got a 5820k for $300 at my local microcenter (4790k was $270), and am planning on using the board and ram I mentioned. I felt that the benefits were worth it for (in my case) a $215 premium over a similar Z97 system.

In my mind this seems like a sensible route for an all around productivity rig. What do you guy's/gal's think?

haswell-e/x99 enthusiast class hardware fits correctly into the curve. matter of fact it's a good buy for anyone looking for power and especially those that enjoy a healthy motherboard feature set. there is nothing out of the ordinary.

"This is the first gen of chipsets and CPUs by Intel in about 4 years that WILL make a difference in real world application, unlike the last 3 generations (which I am in total agreement with you about)."

I must wonder why. I haven't kept up with haswell E that much, what does it do?

Its pricey I guess, but $300 for the 5280k, and hopefully next may the mobo prices wont be too high and ddr4 prices will fall.  I plan to do an x99 build next may when I get out of college, I have a 2500k now. It'll be nice to go from 16 pcie 2 lanes to 28 pcie 3 and get the extra threads/core for stuff. I may not use it to its full but eh sometimes we all gotta splurge. 

Was going to do a wall of text, but I'm just going to break this down short as I can.

IMO.

X99 is great, why? Because you always want to see technology grow.  I am excited to see more 16 pci-e lanes. Period.

For gaming X99 isn't needed. 4690k, and FX 8350 is still the best consumer choice.

but

X99/58XXk intel will push AMD to also come out with a counter part. FX 8450?? with AM4 platform?? with the same PCI technology/DDR4 and so on (just a example).

We all knew that the new platform will be $$$ and probably useless for 90% of us, but like someone already pointed out. It's nice to have the option doesn't mean you need to purchase it.

5 years from now Express SSD raid 0, SIL/Crossfire will be the common build for us future gamers. Plus we now have thunderbolt. Nice! Look all im saving is don't bash the product cause doesn't fit your needs for price to performance. Just be glad it opened up windows to the new build 5 years down the road.

If anyone ask I'm still going to say 4690k and fx 8350 is still the better choice for gaming in less they either want.

A) Express SSD Raid

B) Thunderbolt

C)Less expensive 6 core Intel.

D) 3 16x PCI

tbh those options wont make gaming OMG crazy better either.

Just know that in till they come out with better SLI/CF GPU horsepower there's no cpu that will make scaling any better other then 1440p gaming or below. (Edit): please not make this a freesync/g sync thread.