X99 Build - Video Editing - Input/Feedback

Hi all,

Been a while since I've built system, like 7 years, and thus I'm currently running with an overclocked e4300. Over the past couple years i've seriously got into video editing, and now use the adobe creative suite for that and photography, and will be branching out into more of the adobe suite; after effects for sure will be next. Already started playing with audition.

Anway, I've been patiently waiting for the new CPUs to arrive, before pulling the trigger.

Reasons behind my choices:

1. HDDs. (a) 512 SDD OS + Apps (those apps are likely to grow, so avoided 256), (b) 256 SDD for video working drive, (c) 4TB for the photos, data, etc.
  2. Motherboard ASUS for 5 way optimisation, auto tuning, so gets me near the mark without me having to relearn how to overclock since the demise of FSB.
  3. Case, want full tower, with reasonable airflow underneath case. Think thick carpet, don't want to sufficate PSU. Also capability for lots of HDDs both SDD and traditional.
  4. Memory, opted for 16GB so far, 2400, but thinking 2666. I originally chose 16, but now wondering whether should go for 32GB now; plan to populate the other 4 slots later 2-3 years time...
  5. Graphics card. I've initially put down the 6GB ram 780 card (hi res video editing), but have just learnt Maxwell is around the corner. So thinking in short term, to reuse my GTX560, allowing me to go for the top end CPU and buy the better graphics card later.
  6. Want a quiet system! Hence the noctua fans, and kraken watercooler.
  7. SLI - likely to do in future, hence +1,000Watt PSU. Thoughts please on PSU choice too.

I would appreciate feedback, comments, suggestions etc.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/4kP26h

• CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor CPU
  • Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
  • Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
  • Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
  • Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
  • Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan
  • Other: NZXT Aperture M 5.25" Card Reader - Black

CPU Paste: Any recommendations? Artic silver 5 (used it 7 years ago), or is there something better now?

One final query, the ASUS motherboards only support 64GB ram currently, unlike other M/Bs that support 128GB. Is this a hardware limitation, or will a bios update in the future unlock it?

Thanks in advance!

Sim

PS. Hopefully I've covered it, and yes from the UK. If you guys need more details, feel free to ask. Thanks again.

i think the Asus Rampage V Extreme supports 128GB. if not out of the box, then with a bios update?

hmmm... i am building a new system in Oct, and i am going with Arctic MX-4. i have seen tons of benchmarks where it performs up to a couple degrees cooler AND it is non conductive/capasative, and zero curing time. maybe give MX-4 a try? :)

The rampage lists 64GB max support; I'm not getting hanged up on 64GB vs 128GB; but wondered whether future bios updates unlocked the max support or whether it was a pure hardware limitation on that motherboard.

The Artic MX-4 looks interesting... Thanks

get 2 2TB drives instead, 3-6 TB drives are notorious for failure. The Hitachi Drives were well mentioned by Wendell as they did very well on the anvil tests

Thanks. Good to know.

Thinking Hitachi 2TB 64MB 600Mbps SATA III  ( HUA723020ALA640 )

I'd think about jumping down from the X part to the 5930k and using the money you saved there to go with a dual 780 Ti or 290X (depending on if you use CUDA or OpenCL). That would probably be a better option. 

Looks like the "NZXT Kraken X61" is not going to be available in the UK for +2 weeks or more.

Can anyone suggest an alternative 240mm quiet good AIO cooler?

Thanks

+1  agreed ... That would be a rendering and gaming beast!

Just make sure that your programs can utilize more than one GPU!  Many programs don't have good support for multiple video cards.

Consider a H110 with some Noctua NF-F12s?

Thanks!

I was just looking at corsair, thinking H105 (240mm) with 2 x Noctua NF-F12s (120mm). The 110 appears to use 140mm fans, and Noctua doesn't appear to do a high Static Pressure fan at 140mm, but I could be wrong.

And Yes, I've been squating up watching lots of vids and reading stuff since my last post.

Whoops, yeah.  I think the H105 would be better, since there don't seem to be a whole lot of 140mm fans when compared to 120mm fans.  However, the performance would be below the Kraken x61(because the Kraken X61 is a 280mm rad)

So, I thought I was starting to understand fans and now I'm getting confused. So got the 120mm (high static pressure) say for the H105 and now found a possible H110 140mm fan (higher airflow, less static pressure) and thus confused over the 140mm. Both are PWM so motherboard can slow it down etc.

Noctua NF-F12 / Airflow 93,4 m³/h / Static Pressure 2,61 mm H2O

Noctua NF-A14 / Airflow 140,2 m³/h / Static Pressure 2,08 mm H2O

So would the NF-A14 140mm do a better job on the H110, bearing in mind overclocking a 8 core?

Thanks in advance

It's a bit difficult to predict the performance.  As you probably already know, higher static pressure fans are usually better on radiators.  I believe the H110 will outperform the H105 due to the fact that there's just a larger surface area.

I did a bit of research and it appears the NF-A14s perform quite well on a H110.  Similar in terms of performance, but quieter.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmundobip.com%2FRendimiento-y-conclusi%25C3%25B3n-Noctua-NF-A14-FLX-con-Corsair-H110_341.htm