X670E motherboard for server recommendation

I just upgraded a 5950X host to a AM5 7950X system. I have had no issues with it at all. The cpu was $150 less than MSRP and the 32GB of memory cost $160. Only the motherboard was expensive.

Only issue is that the current Linux distros have so sensor support at all. Too new I guess.

Enjoying the big jump in production from the increased core clocks that are achievable in heavily loaded all-core distributed computing.

Well it’s been a while and we did in fact build this thing basing on ASUS Prime X670e WIFI and we went absolutely bonkers with 6000 mhz G.Skill Trident Z RAM and 6k RPM server fans duct taped to chassis XD

At first we had some serious issues with this RAM as it didn’t want to POST with EXPO enabled but after BIOS update it booted just fine. Then we had issue with cooler because it seems that while everyone says package height of AM5 is exactly the same as AM4 it may not be 100% true in all cases I guess because it turns out that pre-applied themal paste layer on NZXT was too thin and actually copper plate of NZXT was not touching CPU despite being fully screwed in. So thermals were complete trash. After applying a bit more of Noctua NT-H2 it seems quite fine now.

Radiator is attached to chassis using 3 layers of double sided sponge duct tape in order to isolate dreadful vibrations caused by 260 CFM 6k rpm server fans zip-tied to radiator. Also in order to fit radiator properly (well that may be a bit of overstatement) we had to chop off HDD trays standoffs using angle grinder.

But it seems to work quite fine overall. Cinebench results are within expectations so we can now proceed to install Red Hat on this thing, spin up our application and move it to production environment.

Reliability 100%. I can’t see single thing that could go wrong here. Not even one…

2 Likes

Did ecc work?

those are non ECC 6000 mhz EXPO ram sticks so idk

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.