Jason didn’t understand why his parents wouldn’t let him sell his little sister at the garage sale.

I know for a fact that the ASUS Rampage III Extreme supports VT-d and just so happens to be decent at overclocking, too :stuck_out_tongue: I used it myself, in fact still have it, just sitting here.
Btw, I’d go for the X5680 instead of the X5675, it’s, like, $9 more expensive and gets you two additional multipliers (x24, x25; the X5675 only goes to x23)

Cheers!

Just to add a X79 option, the X79S-UP5 guarantees Xeon compatibility (Intel C606 chipset) and has a quite beefy VRM. I use it on my E5-1660. The OC makes it pretty much a Ryzen 5 1600X (if no Meltdown patches)

I happen to have 2 or 3 X5670’s lying around. I’ve thought of building a VM server with 2 of them, but I lack a motherboard. Are there any dual socket boards any of you’d recommend that also support VT-d and ECC DDR3? Overclocking would be nice, but I think that’s a pipe dream in a dual socket board.

There are a few Supermicro X8DT* boards floating around on ebay for $100 to $200. Supports VT-d and regECC, no overclocking though.

EDIT: Or you could get an EVGA SR-2 and have the best of both worlds. But you’d be spending between $700 and $1000+ :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see how its worth buying those components compared to e.g. 2600x … Unless you have a source that gets them to you for free.

The CPUs you’re mentioning are $40 on eBay, a motherboard is hard to find, hard to get right… probably about $100… Cooling 50-100, you’re sitting at 200 with no built-in GPU.

2600x is around 220, motherboard around 50-70, and around double the performance out of the box, with all modern bells and whistles like usb3 on the motherboard.

Does anyone know if the huanan Chinese boreds support vt-d or overclocking. I know they do support ECC but not sure about the rest I’ve seen they make great x79 and x58 boards even with on board m.2

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32851451356.html

The x79 does overclock with multiplier unlocked cpus.
At this time stamp in a bios walk through it shows Intel virtualization technology.

The cpuz screenshot is showing vt-x is supported.

Some more digging and it seems that VT-d isn’t supported. It is mentioned in this bios modding thread. https://forums.overclockers.ru/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=580210&p=15521343 I would bet that the Chinese x58 boards are in the same boat.

1 Like

Personally these huanan look like great value test systems

I wouldn’t OC those cheap “New” X79" boards. Those are what a manufacturer makes off to the side on a hand assembled line with low quality components.

Try to find the X79S-UP5 if you can. That’s a solid board.

There’s an art to getting your way, and spitting olive pits across the table isn’t it.

I was going to suggest ordering from the states and then ship it to you, but they are around $220 here.

When did mobo’s get so expensive? lol.

I’ve seen two youtube reviewers say they were good boards, unless you planned on going for a high overclock. Then they would be bad boards as they have crappy VRM’s.

According to this guy.

There is a Huanan board out on the market that has a better VRM.

Their is even a Huanan board that supports nvme.

EDIT: It appears that the board that supports NVME only supports boot if you are using WIN10. Which is really sad for the Linux/BSD/other OS users.

1 Like

Yeah have seen a few reviewers say they are good. Thinking about replacing my Haswell e3-1231 V3 and msi gaming mobo with one for ECC and more cores for vms aswell as multiple Pci-e full length slots

1 Like

Because EOL, hard to get, make them that expensive.

1 Like

vt-d with iommu with x58 chipset is not recommended,
There is an article from 2016 that contains information about the Intel 55x0 chipset errata - Interrupt remapping issue. Intel 5500/5520/X58 chipset revision 0x13 and 0x22 have an errata (#47 and #53) which makes the IOMMU interrupt remapping unit unreliable. This erratum causes interruptions and the interrupt remapping invalidations become unresponsive. This bug hasn’t been fixed , that is the reason why you shoud concider at least an X79 chiset related board.
My board has the same issue on the iommu. I was planning on doing simular things with my hardware…
For that reason I’m looking for a Intel C602/X79 chipset based board.
You can google for “c8220 build” if you plan on doing a little demanding project or simply buying an old workstation HP Z420/620/820 V1 or V2, Dell T3600/T5600 or T3610/T5610, Lenovo C30/D30/S30 V1 or V2
The difference in V1 vs. V2 ist the support for E5-basesd xeon-cpus. Dell made ist easier to find a difference V1 an V2 based Xeons. They just renamed their product line. You can find quit alot of information on that matter asking google. I hope this helps making a decision.