X570 WARNING: DMAr PRO-SKU feature can prevent motherboards from booting until you change CPUs

The ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE does unfortunately not have a PS/2 connector.

I’ve also tried installing a dedicated PCIe Sonnet Allegro Pro USB3-PRO-4PM-E USB controller AIC with 4 x Fesco Logic USB 3.0 chipsets.

The ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE boots in UEFI-only mode by CMOS defaults. In UEFI mode you can attach mouse and keyboard to an USB AIC and they (normally) already work prior to the booting of the OS.

Doesn’t work either.

Maybe new rabbit hole for @wendell ?

What are you looking to do with dmar? It’s interesting it bricks the motherboard. I don’t even have the dmar option on mine.

Maybe it messes with the system management stuff on the cpu?

Strange that you can’t see this option, do you have IOMMU changed from Auto to Enabled?

Right now I don’t even know what DMAr actually does, I just thought that it sounded interesting (appeared after IOMMU is changed to enabled) and decided to poke at it with a stick :wink:

Yes. Maybe an apu specifc thing… I have a similar bios as you but it’s hacked up for one of my own projects.

Could be, the SKU I’m using is a PRO variant and these have some extra features (or not disabled) like that VM memory encryption.

1 Like

That would only be available if you have IOMMU enabled.
dmar -> direct memory access remapping

How about making a bootable usb drive , freedos , and reflash the bios with an autoexec script and “flashrom”. org

I have the same motherboard and successfully flashed custom rom. You can find details/tutorial about this at winraid.

Hope i didn’t brake any rule , only registered to offer my reply. Hope it helps.

Update: Thinking more about it , it wont work i guess because this method would had required setting CSM enabled on bios for the bios reflash … and as you have no input …

1 Like

Booting the ASUS board is impossible since it stops right after the POST with “No keyboard detected, press F1 to enter BIOS”.

USB devices in general don’t show up (0 USB devices, normally you see something like “1 mouse, 1 keyboard, drive” etc.

I guess ASUS’ crucial mistake here is that the option “stop boot if no keyboard is detected” is the CMOS Default BIOS setting and it does not get automatically disabled if DMAr is enabled.

On the other hand if I read the fragments about what DMAr actually is good for correctly, it is intended that as many controllers as possible (that have direct memory access) are not initialized during POST like they normally are, instead only after a proper OS is booted it then “securely” initializes these controllers with remapped memory segments (?).

Is it true that some AMD CBS options are saved to non-volatile space on the BIOS chip in general?

That would explain why a CMOS Reset did nothing for me and only “USB Flashbacking” was able to bring the ASRock X570 Taichi back to normal operation.

I better understand the situation now. No luck for a reply from Asus yet ?
Hope you don’t mind asking , but how did you do the CMOS Reset ? I do not imply that you haven’t done it proper , but just for my mind picture , would like to hear it from you.

The ASRock X570 Taichi has a CMOS Reset button at the back i/O shield.

My method for CMOS reset there:

• Unplug AC power cord from wall
  • Press Power On Button on case for 10 sec
  • Remove BIOS Battery
  • Press CMOS Reset Button at I/O shield for 10 sec
  • Reseat BIOS battery, connect AC power and try again

(No change)

• Then I used the USB Flashback feature to reflash the BIOS and the motherboard operates normally again.

The ASUS board does not have a CMOS Reset button on the back I/O shield, I was pretty pissed, so I removed the BIOS battery over night (about 8 h) and tried again the next morning (PSU also disconnected).

1 Like

Have you tried Shorting the jumper on the motherboard after AC unplug ?
I did this a few times yesterday , playing with ram oc. And i recall that every time i would short the jumper , the cpu boot led check would be active for a second (red). Just want to make sure that happens for you when you Clear Cmos with by Shorting the cmos jumper.

download

1 Like

Have not tried the CLRTC jumper yet (access was blocked in build), will try this later today and report back.

If you discharge all capacitors by pressing Power On for a few seconds on a system with a disconnected PSU you’ll never see any LED lighting up again.

(this usually only happens if you have just unplugged an active PSU and some parts have a remaining charge that is then drained)

You are perfectly right , i like to see the drain :slight_smile:
It would be mega super dumb if this is unfixable , can’t see a reason why something like your issue would still occur after a successful cmos clear.

Question in the meantime:

What CPU are you using on your Pro WS X570-ACE and do you see the DMAr Support option, too?

I always jump the clear cmos or use clear CMOS button while the computer is plugged in and the PSU switch is set to on, I only unplug to do the battery removal, I’ve encountered some mobos that keep settings after battery removal so that’s why I like to use the jumper

If I do a lot of fiddling with the board I like to hook up the reset button on the case to the jumper

1 Like

That had been my previous modus operandi until I made the aquaintance of the ASRock Rack X470D4U (sarcastic, non-COVID-19 cough)

There sometimes only after removing the battery for a while and disconnecting the PSU you were able to let it POST again.

But will definitely hook up extension wires to these jumper pins from now on on every motherboard that doesn’t have a proper CMOS reset button.

I have a Ryzen 3600 at the moment. I just enabled IOMMU and booted to win just fine. No sign of DMAr.
I’m thinking what will happen in your case if you can try to boot with a non Pro CPU , which probably doesn’t support this DMAr option. I’m also using latest 2206 Bios version. I have exported my bios settings to a txt file , but i had no time to get familiar with this forum rules , so I’m not sure if i can post the long list of bios config here or provide a link ?

2 Likes

THAT MIGHT BE A WORKAROUND TO FIX THE BOARD’S BIOS =)

[SOLUTION] Put a non-PRO SKU in there that doesn’t support DMAr, it should boot fine with regained USB functionality. Load UEFI defaults via UEFI GUI, save, reboot and pop the PRO SKU back in. [/SOLUTION]

To be sure:

Is there a way to manually reflash the complete BIOS with an USB thumb drive?
(Have never looked into that)

ASUS unfortunately just checks if the BIOS version you select as a file is the same one as installed and then pretends to flash (process is completed much too quickly).

With the ASRock board you can actually reflash the same BIOS version as the one that’s already installed via the UEFI GUI (takes much longer and an additional indicator is the activity LED on the USB thumb drive itself).

1 Like

Yep, that worked :slight_smile:

That sneaky motherboard even noticed after a CMOS reset that the CPU had changed.

So there must be some kind of non-volatile storage that logs what CPU was paired last with the motherboard…

@d3vnul

Thank you very much! For some reason I never thought of just plugging in a different CPU.

4 Likes

I’m very happy this solved the problem for you ! Very nice that you had a different CPU at hand :slight_smile:

2 Likes