X570 Aorus Xtreme/Master... was it originally intended to have Thunderbolt support?

will thunderbolt work without the header?

I have an alpine ridge controller card, but my current motherboard has no header.

Well, the jumper mod is basically shorting some pins without connecting it to a header, so all you need is the header cable and some cutters and wire.

which pins do you short?

No firmware loading required (I thought that was only for Alpine Ridge?), was quite literally plug and play. Didn’t have to change anything in the Bios but I did notice this setting. This was present in the Bios before installation of the card since at least F10.

Another thing is that I can’t see any option in bios to set the Thunderbolt security level. Tumbleweed / Kernel 5.4.2 is reporting user security mode

# cat /sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/domain0/security
user

But that doesn’t explain how the 7750 instantly worked, last time I played with this was on an Intel based Thunderbolt 2 setup. I had to setup a udev rule to allow access to endpoints at boot but that was back in the 4.12 days, maybe it’s automatic for certain device classes now.

EDIT: I had the Bolt service installed which manages security levels and device authentication, the Akitio node seemingly on a whitelist so it was instantly attached.

So no BIOS options for security and etc… This is what a X299 Hackintosh guide recommended:

TBT Root por Selector                               PCIE16_3 (Prime X299 Deluxe) / PCIE16_2 (WS X299 Sage 10G)
Thunderbolt USB Support                             Disabled
Thunderbolt Boot Support                            Disabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM Devices)                   Off
Thunderbolt(TM) PCIe Cache-line Size                128
GPIO3 Force Pwr                                     On
Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr            200
Skip PCI OptionRom                                  Enabled
Security Level                                      SL0-No Security
Reserve mem per phy slot                            32
Reserve P mem per phy slot                          32
Reserve IO per phy slot                             20
Delay before SX Exit                                300
GPIO Filter                                         Enabled
Enable CLK REQ                                      Disabled
Enable ASPM                                         Disabled
Enable LTR                                          Disabled
Extra Bus Reserved                                  65
Reserved Memory                                     386
Memory Alignment                                    26
Reserved PMemory                                    960
PMemory Alignment                                   28
Reserved I/O                                        0
Alpine Ridge XHCI WA                                Disabled

And without a full BIOS control of the controller, it apparently doesn’t work in macOS. It’s also unclear if Titan Ridge needs to be “blessed”.

Here’s the guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/imac-pro-x299-live-the-future-now-with-macos-10-14-mojave-successful-build-extended-guide.255082/

I think the source was this thread Threadripper 32 core with thunderbolt 3, but this is what I used

1 Like

It looks as if Gigabyte are adding official GC-Titan Ridge support to a number of X570 boards based on recent website changes, though with a new motherboard revision.

Can’t find any announcements, manuals or Bios files yet but the specifications for a number of boards and the GC-Titan Ridge itself have been updated.

Wonder what else V1.1 boards will have?

I’m receiving a GB X570 Master mobo sometimes today here in Australia. The boards have been on back order for some time here. I’m hoping that it is the 1.1 revision that the does support the TR. I will post back as soon as I find out.:smiley:

Bad news for me. It is a version 1.0. No TB connector, just the pin pads. I guess they are still clearing out older version ATM.

Hi all. I sent a message to Gigabyte regarding the version 1.1 mobo and if it has TB3.

They replied:
Hi jb007,

Yes version 1.1 will support Thunderbolt 3 and it will be released and be available in Australia around March.

Regards,

GIGABYTE

So too late for me, I will continue with my ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X which has TB3 support, and works fine.

I guess that they are trying to exhaust existing stocks of v1.0 boards first.

2 Likes

Since they now officially support TB3 and had the points for the pins before I wonder if it is a case of software update and soldering in pins to DIY a 1.1 board.

Not sure on that. Very least is the BIOS will have to be updated, and whether the version 1.1 BIOS can be installed who knows. Plus was TB3 Removed because of a hardware problem on pre 1.1 boards?? Don’t know.

1 Like

Oh boy, another Rev 1.0 vs 1.1 issue has cropped up… This means you are actually screwed if you’re on Rev 1.0. If you are on Rev 1.0, sell or return your mobo to exchange for a Rev 1.1 if you desperately need this feature.

What issue? I dont see anyone mentioning a 1.0 vs 1.1 issue? Or are you referring to the fact 1.0 doesn’t have the connector?

They often do this, and make other physical changes that means 1.1 works while 1.0 doesn’t work for certain CPUs. I have experienced this on Gigabyte boards in the past. If they released a 1.1, get it. Don’t assume the 1.0 version will support newer CPUs in that case too, so if Zen 3 comes out, Gigabyte are more likely to update 1.1 vs 1.0.

What that is stupid I hope that doesn’t happen. Is that even legal?

They already did it for X79 boards. The X79S-UP5 and X79-UP4 Rev 1.0 do not support Xeon V2 CPUs due to lack of physical modifications needed to run the processors.

Thanks so much for asking. Which boards are effected by this change? Is there a list available?

Edit: Found it!

1 Like

I have been chatting with Gigabyte costumer support for a few days.
They have told me that rev 1.1 is scheduled for the end of March due to the close of the Chinese factory.

I was also told about the GC-Titan ridge that, and i quote:
"If you have titan ridge for the moment,

You can try to short connect the pin1 and 3 as photo, and connect your smartphone via type-c cable before booting your pc. It should work. "
With this picture attached

This thus seems different than the mod other people descriped with shorting pins 3 and 5. Is it different??

4 Likes

I’m curious about this…

Did the Gigabyte support specify if:

• Hotplug works with this mod? I use a X570 Taichi with a BIOS Thunderbolt option and a Thunderbolt motherboard header, but to properly install the Thunderbolt drivers initially I also have to plug in an USB 3.x device when booting the system.

• Does the GC-Titan Ridge need the updated firmware for this mod to work?

• Does the current Gigabyte BIOS for the revision 1.0 motherboards show a Thunderbolt option?