X570 Aorus Xtreme/Master... was it originally intended to have Thunderbolt support?

You know the leads prolly still work. Someone could just solder a connector and see?

You’ll need to find someone who lacks the connector.

Also, Aorus Master/Xtreme is only a 128Mbit BIOS, which is interesting.

Well I just ordered a x570 Master we’ll see what it is all about when it gets here.

Update:
I suppose this was already known but I thought for sure it would have have it.
My board came in earlier this week and nope- No header just the solder nubs where it should be…

1 Like

Goddamn - Since I coudn’t get answer if the Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC could or couldn’t operate in an ASRock X570 Taichi I ordered an “in stock” unit to personally test it and today I get an email stating that the item is no longer available with no estimated future availability.

Is there an issue with the Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC or somsething else? I hope it’s not EOL since it only has been on the market for less than a year and there seems to be no other manufacturer that offers a Dual Port Titan Ridge AIC :frowning:

If I’m understanding it correctly the physical Thunderbolt Header on the motherboard is only the first half of the equation, the second one is UEFI support.

Do the Gigabyte X570 motherboards that physically have such a Thunderbolt Header also have the necessary UEFI option to enable Thunderbolt?

I’m asking since I can’t get the ASRock X570 Taichi to work with the GC-Titan Ridge AIC so it would be my next step to look at Gigabyte motherboards. These however do NOT mention Thunderbolt support in their official specifications - what’s up with that?

Very interesting, so ASrock might only support the older Alpine Ridge controllers only.

For me it’s rather frustrating :wink:

The majorly weird thing with the ASRock X570 Taichi paired with the GC-Titan Ridge AIC (self-censored dickish line) is that Thunderbolt 3 and USB 2.0 seem to work (with hotplugging), but any USB 3.x device causes BSoDs 2 sec after being physically connected or disconnected.

On the driver side there is nothing really I can do since the driver for that Intel USB 3.1 controller within the Titan Ridge chipset is handled by Microsoft’s USB drivers that are integrated into Windows (using 1903 with most recent X570 chipset, GPU and TB drivers as well as all Windows Updates (2019-07)). Well even if there was a dedicated driver I would have no idea how to fix that as a layman.

*Could only test one TB3 device since I don’t have more at this point: Direct TB connection (Virtual Ethernet) to a Mac mini 2018 that also has a Titan Ridge chipset.

1 Like

Um, I am an Aspie. So I’m slightly offended by that acronym that you chose.

I apologize for that! Afterwards I kind of knew that that was over the line - mostly I have a more reliable gut feeling regarding black humor for the use of pychological auto-relief of built-up overflowing cynicism).

It was meant in L1 News style, my previous reactions from manufacturers’ technical support staff when I contacted them regarding such issues is more or less “What kind of weirdo would combine things this way” :wink:

1 Like

Chiming in here. Received my x570 Aorus Xtreme. Board rev 1.0 is printed on the bottom left corner. I have the section for the thunderbolt header, but it is not present - only solder points.

No CPU yet, so have not checked UEFI/BIOS for TB3 settings - I assume those are also not present.

Anyway, not sure if this helps anyone. Based on @wendell’s previous answer first response, I kinda assumed I would have a header? Not a deal breaker for me but would have been nice to use my Samsung X5 outside of my MBP

Okay, so you might have gotten an early run of the motherboard from really old stock. You could return it and get a motherboard from a later production date if what Wendell was saying is actually true.

I might do that if I see proof that others w/ the same rev board have the header. Especially if I find options/mentions of it in the UEFI

@Wendell FOR SURE has the header. Maybe he can take a picture of it when he gets back from the Rome event.

1 Like

Hi,

I just bought a X570 Aurus Master and the Thunderbolt is not there.
I just took this picture today as my board arrived, I took a picture for reference, no intent to take a shot of the connector.
But if you look closely you see that the connector is not present just solderpoints.

1 Like

It is still likely to get old stock so 2 reports isn’t really enough, but if it’s a recent production run, then that raises some questions.

My board says Rev 1.0.

My Aorus X570 Pro has five pin solder points but no pins, it says THB_C. They are located above the SATA ports.

Several people are reporting the same. That sucks!

I checked a couple boards at microcenter on launch day and they had the header. I guess not every production run had the header :frowning:

3 Likes

Double checked to make sure I am not crazy - but confirmed that I have the board rev 1.0, and definitely do not have a header on the Aorus Xtreme. There is also no mention of it in the manual, suggesting it got pulled. Wonder of board rev 1.1 will drop the solder points too.

Hi Wendell,

I wrote an email to Gygabyte support and awaiting for a response.
I called the shop where I bought my board to ask if the Thunderbolt is present on some boards they have in stock.
Not one board has the Thunderbolt, even in the manual it is not mentioned.
Below the solderpoints it says, THB_C.
For me this missing Thunderbolt is no deal breaker.
I like this board a lot besides a few very bad issues I had with initial setup, PCIe 3.0 NVMe drives not detected, RAM incompatibility and so on.