X570 Aorus Master 2nd slot bifurcation

Has anyone had success with 2nd slot bifurcation (2x4) on the x570 Aorus Master? Or more generally, any am4 motherboard?

I was curious if this was possible, so I looked through my bios to see if there was an option. I can confirm in the BIOS that there is an option for 1x8/2x4 bifurcation.

The ssds I am using are Toshiba XD5 KXD51LN11T92. I have tested these drives in the motherboard slots on my x570 aorus master and they work fine.

I purchased a Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 in order to add 2 more nvme ssds. When installed with 2 ssds and the correct option is selected in the bios, both the ssds and my primary GPU do not show up in linux.

I contacted Gigabyte support and they basically told me that they don’t know if the AOC-SLG3-2M2 is actually compatible. They also told me that I could purchase their adapter card (GC-4XM2G4) but it would only support two drives.

Has anyone had any success with either the gigabyte or the supermicro cards in 2nd slot bifurcation on am4? It seems plausible that the gigabyte card would work, but I am slightly suspicious.

The Aorus X570S Master, like most X570 boards, split the first and second PCIe lanes into x8/x8 if PCIe 2 is populated.If it isn’t it runs PCIe 1 with x16 lanes.

In other words the second slot can only support two m.2 drives, No matter what you do.

Yep, was only planning on 2 ssds in the second slot. Gigabyte esupport just made sure to indicate that their adapter card would work but would only support 2 ssds in my configuration.

Just a small update, the Gigabyte m.2 adapter card (GC-4XM2G4) works in the second slot. I was able to get mine on ebay for $55. Aside from being larger than necessary to hold two drives for my configuration, the adapter works well and I can’t hear the fan. Currently using the drives for OpenZFS with no issues.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.