X470 Taichi Ultimate Aquantia 10Gb controller disappears. Anyone have stable 10Gb?

After a cold boot with AC removed, the Aquantia 10Gb controller will be there as expected.

If I am lucky, I can assign it a static IP, and then I can then iperf well for a half hour to a day or so.

But if I am unlucky, trying to set the controllers IP will immediately cause a reboot off the box.

Once the soft reboot occurs, the controller will no longer be there in Ubuntu LTS or Windows 10.

The controller will only return after a hard power cycle pulling the AC for > 10 seconds.

I went out and bought a 2nd identical X470 Taichi Ultimate and it does the same.

Not sure if this is driver related, hardware related, BIOS related (3.90), or what

Does anyone have a stable 10Gb?

If so, what BIOS, OS and drivers are you using?
Thank you

May be a bad cable? If it is spamming errors it may disable the connection. Check that before spending money on more expensive parts.

1 Like

thanks you mean bad ethernet cable?

i’m not even sure it requires a cable for it to drop out.

IIRC, just attempting to assign an IP can cause a reboot, but i am not 100% positive. i’ll have to do some more testing.

I have issues with my 10g NIC, but that may be the AcQuantia VIB for ESXi doing it. It is essentially unusable as it is but VMware ESXi can see it at least (I guess?)

I’ve had no problems at all with my Asus Aquantia 10G card. Then again, I don’t use a CrapRock board.

thanks.

have you tried the latest Aquantia ESXi drivers that were just released?

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI67-MARVELL-ATLANTIC-1020&productId=742#product_downloads

i haven’t had time to test it more yet, but will update here when i do.

1 Like

craprok lol.

this is my first asrock.

i have mixed feelings about this board.

The quality of the power circuitry is supposed to be high. Good for overclockers. Which I’m not doing anyway.

The BIOS is overly complex for me, and I’d like to avoid it in the future.

However I do appreciate the ability to save custom presets, and the fact that those presets don’t get wiped when reseting CMOS, which unfortunately I’ve had to do too many times.

The price is not that cheap for a board with possibly non functioning 10G. If the 10G was rock solid, then yeah, thats a $100 savings on the 10G NIC that makes this mobo not a bad deal.

The back and forth I had with support was beyond terrible.

A positive is the board is generally held in high esteem and theres a lot of demand for it, so any resale of it is good.

Its my first AMD. Really, I just wanted a server platform that could do ECC. But was persuaded to AMD by the dirt cheap power to price ratio of the R5 3600. If there was a rock solid and cheap reference board put out by AMD themselves I would have done that.

Next time I might finally go supermicro.

1 Like

I’m using the exact same board on Proxmox 6.1 (Debian). In normal operation I have no issues at all EXCEPT that putting a pcie card in slots 2 (1x) and 4 (1x) appear to cause the Aquantia NIC to be nonfunctional*. I am still looking into it, but other than that, it works great, although everything else on the network is 1Gb.

*if I plug in to the 1Gb nic, the lights come on during POST, but the 10Gb LEDs won’t light up until the OS is booting.

I hadn’t even realized that VMware officially released a driver. The driver I used was the one on Aquantia’s Github. I’m going to download and test this over the weekend, thanks!

Tried the new driver but ESXi 6.7U2 isn’t picking it up for some reason. It’s saying it’s for Marvell so I’m guessing it’s for a Marvell controller with the Aquantia chip on it

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.