X360 Joysticks trouble in Ubuntu 18.04

I’m having trouble getting my wireless controller to work correctly under Ubuntu 18.04. All of the buttons work but the triggers and analog sticks do not track correctly. I’m using the built-in xpad drivers (I’ve also tried to use the xboxdrv but probably didn’t have it setup correctly). The right analog stick doesn’t have full range of motion in Dolphin Emulator, then when I look at the config with jstest, it’s fine but the right analog stick is messed up and doesn’t track correctly.

Should I delve deeper into xboxdrv and set up the controller with that and blacklist the builtin xpad driver? In games that don’t need the triggers or analog sticks, everything is fine but trying to run Dolphin Emulator or N64 emulator is having issues with the controller not mapping correctly.

Any hints or tips?

It’s been a while, but from what I remember, in order for some of this stuff to work correctly, your user needs to be a part of some specific group.

I don’t remember which group though, but hopefully this should give you some googling ideas.

A specific group for the joysticks to register properly? That seems a bit far out…

I tried a third part receiver from a no-name Chinese manufacturer I got off of Amazon and it fixed the issues. Now the joysticks register properly a d rumble works as well. Not sure why the first party receiver was messed up or wouldn’t register the joysticks correctly.