WTS/QUIET Home File Server/Plex Media Server/FreeNAS

Hello Everyone,

For sale is a custom built file server used by me for the past 2 years. I am selling this item because I've upgraded to a larger server.

The specs are as followed:
NORCO RPC-430 Shallow mount 4U server case
Intel Pentium G3258
ASRock H97 Pro 4 Motherboard
32GB of Crucial 1600MHz DDR3 1.35v
Brand New Original LSI 9211-8i HBA
Mellanox ConnectX2 10GbE Fiber card
Seasonic Platinum 400 Watt Silent/Modular PSU
Noctua L9i CPU Cooler
3x 80mm Noctua fans
6x HGST 2TB 7200 RPM Hard Drives

Total cost to you if you built this brand new: $1500-- go ahead and try and build something as powerful, quiet and power efficient as this for less!

But I will charge $600 for this... and I will even help you install it. For it's lifetime it ran FreeNAS 9, but with the recent release of FreeNAS 10 you can run VMs and light weight Docker containers on here. Running in RaidZ-2 I was able to transfer files at over 200MBPS on the 10Gig NIC to and from an SSD on my main workstation. That is 2x the performance of 1Gig.

A note about the hard drives:
They have all undergone 3 Passes "DOD Short" in Darik's Boot and Nuke... and I then booted into Parted Magic and ran an Extended SMART test and everything passed. HGST hard drives are the most reliable on the market... According to BackBlaze an internet hosting and file storage company.. They have had an anualized failrure rate of under 1.6% in their data center environment. They have had thousands of these drives... and they maintained their low failure ratings for over 4 years of their data reporting. According to backblaze the only reason they replaced their 2TB drives was because they needed additional density...not because drives were failing! Drives have about 11,500 hours on them--which is about a year and a half. These drives are DESIGNED to last 5-- So you should be good! As stated they are currently configured in a RaidZ-2 leaving you with 2 disks of redundancy--you can lose two of six before losing data!

Currently this listing is for PICKUP LOCALLY only. You can meet me here to test or I will even drive an hour from Waterbury or New Haevn CT to deliver it to you, but I am not willing to ship this item. For a small fee I can even meet at your place and help you set it up! I have a monitor/keyboard/mouse you can have for this if you need.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I am willing to answer any questions here or on the phone. I will note-- front USB ports do NOT work.

1 Like

Just my luck, exactly what I'm looking for... 1250 miles away. yeah.... probably not happening. Even with the gas, hotel, road trip craziness.... I mean. :/ Anyone else got something closer to Minnesota. I'd drive a few states over....

Beautiful machine man. Well done.

interested in your drives. would you be willing to part them off?

Hello Everyone..

Thanks Reuben alot of love went into this thing, sorry you are so far way!

Dynamic Gravity,
I am trying to sell the whole thing as a unit first.

SOLD!!
Thanks for interest

1 Like