[WTS] Lenovo Thinkpad T520 (bios locked) [Gone, given away for benefit]

Selling a thinkpad T520. I have replaced it with a T420S that I got for 80 bucks from a recycle center that the only problem was the cpu cooler wasn’t all the way so it’d shutdown for heat safety.

This T520 is a good working machine, but the bios is locked. The stock settings +VM stuff are all on, so you have to deal with the power, keyboard. And battery alarm beeps till you reset it. You can reset it, but I haven’t had time so its been easier for me to find a replacement.

I can’t use it because my laptop needs to be unlocked so I can turn ahci off. Maybe if you’re lazy and don’t care you won’t bother to reset it? Idrk. Thats up to you.

Does have case damage in one corner, but its not really even that big of a deal.

Specs are in photo’s, but they can be in text too:

i5 2520m
8GB Ram
No HDD (have a spare 320gb if you really want it?)
Intel GPU
With Charger

Asking 150, even with hdd. Plus shipping if you can do it, if not no worries I guess.

Just need to make back what I spent really. Trying to stack some cash back up after bunging it all on medical bills recently.

Photo’s aren’t in order bit whatever lol.

If any question of origins, ask @Ramiel as I got it from him.

Thanks.

Edit:. Oh yeah and it has a keyboard light.

If I look around I might have a 500gb or 1tb drive but those are worth 15 bucks to me.

I will drop the price to 80 bucks this thing is getting in my way now.

If it helps, it has a 3 hour battery. Could be upgraded, but the battery is relatively good IMO.

This sounds like an amazing opportunity for those who have been threatening to learn Linux. As I have a very similar T420, I can say from experience, that a SSD, coupled with Linux and a light weight desktop will really surprise you in just how responsive this “antique” laptop is. Just don’t plan to play any 3D games on it, as the integrated GPU is the weak link here.

BTW - there are guides on the Internet for unlocking the BIOS. It will require considerable disassembly, but ThinkPads are designed to be field serviceable and Lenovo’s service manuals are quite detailed.

I’ve looked and tried but never had enough time to do the 4 ways I found.

And actually, its quite an ok laptop to gawe on. Counter Strike Source and TF2 are regulars for me. Not too many issues. Really its a good laptop all around, I just need rid of it and I’m surprised no one has hopped on this.

the lenovo series of thinkpad required disassembly remove battery, cmos battery (sometimes you need to de-solder the battery clips), discharge capacitors and leave set for about a week.
on reassembly the bios should have reverted to default factory state and you should be able to edit it.
I hate it when they bring one into the shop locked.

Im surprised no one has jumped on this they usually go for around $250 used if working.

Eep I should edit this thread.

I gave it away to someone who needed it for education. He wasn’t godng to afford something that nice any time soon and is about to go homeless.

2 Likes

Would you like this thread to be closed?

1 Like

Well no one has really replied so it doesn’t matter to me but you can close it if you want to.

2 Likes

You did the right thing in giving it away. Good on you aremis.

If you ever need this open get in touch.