WSL 2 mounting bluray for using ddrescue

Hello,

I wasn’t sure where to post this, so if it is in the wrong place my apologies.
I have a blueray disk that I am trying to recover, so naturally I wanted to use ddrescue. However, that is only on linux, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to force myself to learn WSL.

I followed this post on how to mount the drive https://askubuntu.com/questions/1176380/wsl-2-access-dvd-rom which seems to work, however, ddrescue completes almost instantly and even trying to create an image using dd I get the same error as the person gets in the post dd: /mnt/d: Is a directory

A lot of the posts about recovering using ddrescue talk about /dev/sr0 which doesn’t exist on my WSL ubuntu 20.04. Do I need to mount it using a different filesystem type than drvfs?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I don’t believe WSL currently has direct block device support, which is what you need to use did

2 Likes

Have you considered using a “live USB” version of Linux?

You can then run DDRescue on the blu ray to a USB thumb stick or a network share, or even one of your windows drives?

This would require at least 1 USB, or a second one if you DD the Blueray to a USB.

I’ve not had trouble mounting a windows NTFS drive in a live environment, but I may have overlooked a basic stubling blocks

Or clonezilla, which is basically a live linux, but simplified (iirc)

1 Like

@Eden thank you so much for finding this, it was driving me crazy!
It’s been a while since I used virtualbox, that would allow the drive as a pass through and get around this issue right?