WRX80 vs TRX40, Worth the Jump / Price Difference?

3995WX huh? Quite pricey haha!

Oops. I meant the 3955 16 core. I hate all the numbers in todays CPUs although I wish I could get the 3995 lol

I bought an EPYC board which has 7 PCIe slots all running at x16 lanes (AsrockRack ROMED8-2T) specifically because I didn’t want to mess around with trying to figure out which cards I can have in which positions when the mobo only supports splitting PCIe lanes in certain configurations/slots/etc, which can be a pain on the 64 PCIe lane threadrippers - even if you physically have enough lanes available.

So in that light, I’d recommend a WRX80 for the convenience and peace-of-mind that you can just slot in a card, and it’ll just work at full bandwidth, and you can just keep adding RAM until you run out of money :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s honestly my reasoning for me getting TR Pro. It has everything I need and more and I can just slot more GPUs or NVME drives or anything and just get on and do my Uni work without having to worry at all.

Thanks for all the advice going ahead with a 3955wx system, with the intent of the 5000 upgrade once it is out.

Also changed my ram to 4 stick instead of 8 so I can upgrade and get more ram when needed.

Keep your eyes peeled for a build log! :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

yea that is nice if you can definitely get it working on a retail board. Honestly it would be more interesting for me too because PCI-E lanes is what I wanted and I don’t necessarily need more cores even though I do a ton of VT.

Congrats on your choice! I wish you the best of luck, I hope you can get a well priced 3955WX!

CPU and board should be here by the 13th of next month so should be doing a Build Log/Review once i got them. since if i can get it working ill be on the TR platform for under $1100 what isnt bad at all.

That is an incredible price to be on the TR platform for under $1100. I ended up getting my 3960x on ebay from a Tray CPU reseller and then bought the board 2nd hand on ebay for $250. Paid $1340 for the CPU shipped so I’m like $1600 in to this platform… 3x more than my old platform. However I think it is worth it considering the scarcity of chips these days and my capabilities with this workstation how it is now.

Wow good going on the total for getting on TR,

Thanks, Yeah it managed to drop the price much lower so definitely the right move.

More pennies for the water-cooling parts.

Will keep you posted once it’s arrived :+1:

1 Like

You plan on an open loop? I have an Ultimate water 3.0 from like 6 years ago and its doing really well on my 3960x

1 Like

Yeah open loop!

Will be on air until all the parts arrive yet to decide on the theme so lots of decisions to be had.

Also I am going to swap the case out so need to decided what to go with.

I have been building up and up towards this over the years in terms of cooling.

Please don’t judge the pictures :sweat_smile:

Started SFF - 1 x 240 slim rad

Then ITX - 1x 240 slim + 1x 240 rad

Then a Full ATX (Modded case to fit a full ATX Board)
1x 240 - 1x 280 - 1x 200

Because of space In my setup I was trying to cram as much as I could, but now I’m stepping back bigger case and really putting thought in the parts and tubing.

Also they aren’t amazing to look at but get the job done with having to reuse parts.

Looks pretty nice! I just had to move all my PC parts around because I went from a Corsair Carbide 500R back to my Thermaltake Suppressor F51. I had bought the TT case in 2013 for a high end build with FX… then just gave up on FX after my motherboard died in the first few weeks of playing with it and went to Xeon 1241v3… The computer has been the same since then. My Carbide 500R was a case given to me in 2014 and I used it for my “second pc” and when Ryzen came out I couldn’t give up my workstation so the Carbide got the Ryzen and then inevitably that became my actual workstation lol…

Fast forward to 2021 and the TR motherboard didn’t fit in the 500R (they lied about EATX support basically) so I had to swap EVERY COMPONENT between the two cases and put my TR in the TT F51. Now my PC is quieter and has better thermals despite going to TR lol… My case is built for a custom loop like the one you have pictured, but there would be no space with my 10 drives.

Oh dear that sounds like a lot of fun! haha

system has arrived now to transfer the thing into the new case and do some tests and get the water-cooling planned.

Just for a little fun I did some quick renders of what the system could potentially look like.

system has arrived excited to get the cooling underway!

Is it worth starting it’s own thread or shall I continue on here?

Renders for project:

1 Like

What case is that? it look very similar to the one I have.

the current case is a fractal define R2 XL the one in the render is a O11 D XL.

Looks like my thermaltake Suppressor F51

Now 4hat you had some experience with your new premium rig. Worth the purchase? Is everything running and doing good/great? Some Monsters just have to be tamed at first :slight_smile:

Seems that the sTRX40 boards are a single generation now from the leaks and press releases at CES 2022.

WRX40/80 looks to be the long lived socket.

Haha 100% yet to fully go balls to the wall with it but for my current project it 's helped massively! Once the deadline is done and I have a little bit of time to do the full transfer over from my machine it will be great.

tested the add in PCIE Card and solid 23/24 GBS read and write speeds so excited to see how that will perform in terms of rendering for video and 3D projects.

Plus with the news of the new EK blocks and radiators I think the watercooling will happen at the end of march/april also in time to change out to the supposed 5000 pro series, don’t see the point to water-cool it to only take it apart to change the CPU.

So for now it will be air cooled. Also TB3 on the board is amazing and so good to have the premium TB features in the bios, Painless setup.

1 Like