Would You Upgrade From Intel and Nvidia to an All AMD Build?

currently running 2 all AMD builds. my gaming machine is a 8350 with 16 gigs of ram and a r9 290
my side build i did for my mom that im trying to get to function as a NAS is running a X6 1100T with 8 gigs of ram and a HD 6850

1 Like

I'm confused as to why this is still damaging AMD's reputation. The "bad drivers" stigma has been going strong for well over 10 years and yet everyone agrees that AMD has had great driver releases in that time frame. 11.10, 12.11, 13.3, 13.9, 14.12, 15.4 are all great stable drivers for a wide range of legacy and modern cards.

In that same time we've seen nVidia brick $700 flagships, release $1000 pro-thusiast cards without supporting drivers, release broken drivers for said $1000 cards, set fire to mid-range Kepler cards with a certain driver release, brick mobile GPUs with bugged Optimus support, nerf last-gen $650 flagships to perform slower than a current gen mid-range, and disable OC capabilities in mobile. These look like serious driver issues too, yet when AMD has an issue it's some self fulfilling prophecy and everyone immediately just assumes, "Oh well it's because their drivers are shit."

Not ragging on you, I'm just trying to figure out why for years I have seen both good and bad drivers from both companies, and yet AMD is still getting the shit end of the stick from the community.

2 Likes

I go where the performance is. I bought the 980 Ti because it was the best single-card solution for the games I play. I bought a Xeon 1231-v3 because it was just about as good as it gets for the money. If AMD is on top of bang-for-buck when I go to upgrade my CPU, then that's the platform I'll buy into. If in 2 GPU generation's time, and AMD has the highest power single GPU around, then that's what I'll buy. Right now the Nvidia drivers and performance are just better, and the feature set of Nvidia cards have been better. The Fx 8350 I came from felt slow in comparison to the Xeon I now happily sit on. That is in large part to the Pcie ssd that I run, which AMD's platform is so out of date that it can't properly support it.

We need AMD and I will support AMD when they have a product worth supporting. Hopefully that comes in time to save AMD as a company.

1 Like

Since AMD is going to give Linux some better open source drivers, I 'my probably going to use an AMD gpu. Besides nvidia's pascal is supposed to be optimized for industry and not gamers...
On the CPU side I'll simply have to wait and see the benchmarks. But I'm optimistic about zen.

1 Like

I would be interested from a cost standpoint. The main problem lies in the problems with drivers, as well as their aging CPU hardware. If they were innovating a little more on the CPU front, I would probably be more interested. Right now I basically use Nvidia and Intel because I've almost always run those together on most of the systems I've had, I'm familiar with it, I know there is solid driver support, and Nvidia generally seems to have more hands in more pockets when it comes to game companies and game development. Not saying that's necessarily great for the community, but it sort of ensures that I will waste less money on games that have trouble running on AMD hardware.

I am growing more interested in their GPU selections, but I just don't have the education on them that I do on GTX cards. I would need to sit down and learn basically from the bottom up about the hardware and optimization and drivers and whatnot before I could comfortably build an AMD-based system.

If the next generation of AMD GPUs do turn out to be comparable to Nvidia's flagship lineup stuff, I might look into it. Pricing would definitely be part of the deal, if the benchmarks were only slightly lower than a comparable green card, but was priced really competitively, that would definitely pique my interest.

1 Like

I already refuse to buy Nvidia or Intel as a general rule. :)

1 Like

I've had absolutely 0 problems with AMD drivers in recent memory.

1 Like

CPU, I am not so sure about. GPU? I plan on it. Kind of mad about Nvidia for the whole 970 lying debacle.

That and I'd just like to give AMD a try. I've never run an AMD GPU before.

1 Like

if new amd parts can run dolphin at 4k+ 60fps for less then the cost of a haswell quadcore i5 then I may consider it. a system with that kind of power should be able to handle every thing I need until occulus rift and other VR tech goes mainstream.

I've heard that dolphin test is pretty taxing on the system. Isn't also a wii emulator? I think I recall using it a while back.

Dolphin is indeed an emulator which let you play console games like Wii games on your pc.
The program is indeed very demending on the cpu´s per core performance.
Allthough dolphin ofc will run on both AMD and intel cpu´s atm.
But if you realy want to emulate and play allot of games using dolphin emulator.
Then i would realy recommend to go with intel haswell / skylake atm.

I think I recall playing Super Smash Bros with the highest levels of msaa and anti aliasing, and then I crashed the game on Final Destination. lol

i played new supermario bross Wii on my setup, and it did basicly fine.
But wenn i tried one of the newer zelda games,
it realy performed like shit due the lack of cpu per core performance from my FX8350.

Personally I like PhysX and so for me I have Green Team. Now as for what the future holds well honestly with how much I am seeing mid range cards cost from Nvidia at even the best Canadian online pc hardware store well I may have to go AMD in the future. Also quite frankly it is pretty sad my daughter was partially named after AMD and I don't buy more of their products. Now for my son's pc he does have an AMD FX 6300 and used to have a 7850 1 GB video card but I replaced the gpu because well ... PhysX. Eh anyway hopefully what AMD brings to the market in the future gives me what I want from them that they don't already offer and then for sure I can say I'd go AMD for me.

1 Like

I would if something went horribly wrong with my current one requiring a completely new pc and AMD's new Zen CPU's were available for purchase. Other than that, no because my current one already meets my needs.

1 Like

People seem to leave HSA out of the equation when speaking of AMD, if properly implemented and supported, that is a huge boost in performance to it's product line overall. It's already started with the latest product line refresh and Zen will benefit immensely.

1 Like

The upcoming Zen CPU from AMD might be worth it, and their next GPU's are MEANT to be lower power consumption and up to 21TFLOPs (or is it GFLOPS?), however the biggest thing steering me away from AMD is their SHOCKING Linux support, yeah sure they patch/fix daily but I still get HUGE issues with my 390x under Linux with not much help around to resolving them.

So over the next 3-5 months I will be monitoring AMD and deciding whether what my next GPU will be, so far NVIDIA are pushing hard to get Linux Vulkan support working well, and I see AMD still trying to find their own asses!

1 Like

AMD drivers are fairly decent. Unless your on Linux.

The open drivers are good, in fact very good in most cases, but have a number of bugs causing me at least a lot of pain, and lack in performance. The proprietary drivers AMD have stopped support for in favour of AMDGPU, which is great! its a far better driver, the issue is its not ready yet. Leaving a huge hole in driver support.

Its left me stuck with a card that's not at full performance, doesn't work with a number of games (though it does work with many of them) and some weird issues with my monitors in the latest driver.

That's why AMD for now isn't doing well for me. And Why I hope this gets fixes, because your correct about NVIDIA, and AMD are pushing for more open drivers, there who we need to get behind, there just doing a subpar job supporting their ideas at the moment.

1 Like

When is AMD GPU coming. 4.5? How far off is that?

2 Likes

I would consider upgrading to Zen, but we know Intel probably has something special up their sleeve that tops it. They're probably just waiting for AMD to make their move. I'm really fearful and concerned about the future of AMD. I had considered an AMD build 3 years ago, but only the Intel architecture had PCIe 3.0 at that time. Are there any AMD boards that have PCIe 3.0 right now?

2 Likes