Would You Upgrade From Intel and Nvidia to an All AMD Build?

WARNING: If you do not like friendly speculation/discussion about future tech from AMD and how they might compare to Intel and Nvidia equivalents, then don't bother with this post. Fanboyism is strictly verboten on the forum anyway, so I'm not sure why I felt the need to write this.
Moving on...

My question is rather simple and straight forward (maybe even a little too optimistic).

Given that AMD's 400 series GPU's and Zen CPU architecture is just around the corner, would you consider upgrading to an all AMD system?

Additional Questions (the not so easy questions): What if the flagship Zen CPU and 400 series GPU are just a little slower (maybe by 2-4 fps in games) than the Intel and Nvidia equivalents? Would you still consider them as an option to your next build? Or would you only consider the performance loss if AMD priced them competitively? Or would you rather have the small gain in performance at an extra cost?
Is there something that Intel and Nvidia have, and will have in the future, that will sway you from going all AMD? What do they offer that can't be done on other hardware?
If you would only get Zen and not the 400 series, or vice versa, why?

I'm genuinely curious to know what the community thinks. You can answer as few or as many questions as you like.

1 Like

If AMD get their act together on the driver side I would. But as it stands drivers are very poor and I've been unable to use AMD GPUs :( which sucks as there far more open source friendly.

I hope this changes soon.

4 Likes

As do I.
I actually want be able to jump head first into the hype, but I have to see AMD deliver a very solid platform for me to buy in.
Thanks for your input!

in terms of efficiency amd might have won this generation of gpu from all the speculation that ive heard sofar.
ive got no issue moving back to amd,
but i do enjoy the nvidia physx effects

on the cpu side,
if they could make a cpu with comparable ipc
anc also got their head out of their ass about what they consider to be a cpu "core"
then yea, id swap to a better amd cpu again

last one i build from was the fx-4100
the last amd gpu i built off of was the hd-6770 ? 6970? cant recall

1 Like

I sure hope AMD wins the GPU race. G-sync panels are way too expensive compared to freesync.
I totally agree with the cpu core issue as well. However, I'm optimistic that AMD realized their past mistakes. If anything it hurt their bottom line, which should incite better practices with Zen. (Hopefully)
Thanks for your input!

1 Like

i mean, after last generation where amd was ripping on intel for hyperthreading
and how amd came out with a cpu with 8 "real" cores////
then they pull this shit where their cores are sharing compute units....
that was pretty bunk...

1 Like

Actually planning an AMD build and cant wait for Zen to come out, hoping that current gen parts will drop down in prices enough that getting a dedicated GPU wont be such a pain in the butt ;p

1 Like

Yeah, Bulldozer wasn't their proudest moment...

Well everything basicly comes down to pricing and usage scenario´s realy.
The main thing i care about is which particular product gives me the best performance for the amount of money i´m able to spend.
I realy dont care if the gpu is AMD or Nvidia for that matter.

I will definitely concider buying one of the new upcomming AMD gpu´s.
But unfortunatly i´m not going to wait for Zen.
BUt that doesnt mean that i´m not currious about zen.
I´m exaly very currious to see Zen and how far AMD has improved with this new cpu design.

2 Likes

Hopefully Zen will have some good midrange cpu's. That way, there will be some kickass mid tier AMD systems running Zen cpu's and some 300 series graphics cards.
Thanks for your input!

I was planning on an overhaul this year for my rig. I'm looking forward to seeing what AMD has on offer when they drop Zen (and hopefully the mic! hah!). I think it's good news for everyone if Nvidia/Intel gets a solid kick in pants to keep them on their toes (more competition usually means better prices and products for everyone! huzzah!).

Don't get me wrong, both parties have strengths and weaknesses, but I would hate for AMD to fail allowing everyone else to monopolise the marketplace.

In response to the OP, yes - I would love to have an all AMD build if it is appropriate for my needs.

1 Like

Completely understand. Intel has some really good CPU's out right now. Actually, who am I kidding. Intel has had the upper hand for years, and AMD has a hard time competing with such a large company with intense amounts of funding.
But everyone loves an underdog.
Did you just recently get a new Intel CPU? If so, which one? or which one are you planning to get?

Thanks for your input!

I've had several previous AMD/ATi and Intel/Nvidia machines. My current machine is somewhat of a red-team all-star. I like having an enthusiast AMD build, it's something you don't see too much of anymore.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure my update at the end of the year will carry a Zen part. I know (for the most part) what Broadwell-E will offer, but Zen is still somewhat of a mystery. However, I recently purchased a ~$600 Freesync monitor, so I will certainly be getting a Polaris part and matching waterblock when those exist.

Fun fact: Pretty recently I found out that the founder of AMD, Jerry Sanders, and myself share the same birthday and graduated from the same high school. I thought that was pretty neat considering I decided to support them way before knowing that.

1 Like

@kamakoda That's a completely fair answer. It's hard to pin down because we don't have specs right now, but I completely agree that any competition in this space is a welcome sight. And the "if" is always the hardest thing to answer.
I have also thought about switching to AMD if Zen works out well, though only the CPU at first because the 980ti still has some life left in it, haha.

Thanks for your input!

1 Like

Well exaly i´m currently running a full AMD setup.
FX8350 and 7870GHz.

I´m planning to go with the upcomming Broadwell-E. 6800K or 6850K probably.
X99 platform.
The reason for this, is that i like to play arround with virtualization allot.
And i want to get into video editing and stuf abit.
For which X99 is realy a very nice platform with allot of expanding options.
X99 is realy a great platform if you are looking for a mix between productivity and gaming.

I´m not realy a hardcore gamer girl, allthough i like to play some games so now and then.
Racing games, Simulation games and indy adventure games.

1 Like

I will purchase all AMD as long as the follow conditions are met/still met at time of purchase:

AMD is a more ethical company than nVidia
The performance of AMD is comparable to or better than Intel/nVidia within a realistic margin
The proposed parts are suitable for the application

As much as I would love to just buy AMD on the ethical merits of the company, I still would need the new cpu and gpu to do the work required of them.

2 Likes

Very cool! I would have like to go all AMD from the start, but the enthusiast in me said "no" to the older architecture.
Also, going freesync and getting a polaris gpu is a good plan. That's what I want to do, but unfortunately I'd have to sell my 980ti first, which seems rather ridiculous. But, if AMD hits a grand slam, I might consider selling my entire system anyway. But that's a big "if".
Very interesting that you share your birthday with Jerry Sanders, and even went to the same high school.

Thanks for your input!

1 Like

Well to be fair.
This is of course pure speculation what i´m doing right now.

But realisticly,
i personaly dont expect that Zen will beat current intel Skylake or upcomming Kabylake wenn it comes to per core performance and ipc.
Because then they realy have a huge mountain to climb.
And i´m not realy sure if they are in that financial state right now.
But they dont have to beat intel in terms of per core performance and ipc.
As long as they can be somewhat compatitive for the right price.

1 Like

Yeah, I'm currently running AMD CPU and GPU at the moment. Great for my 1080p set up at the moment, but I want to jump up to 1440p in the future. I'm stuck on the FM2+ platform since I had no idea what I was doing when I built my computer 2 years ago for a bang-for-buck 1080p system haha. Literally threw an upgrade path out the window.

That 980ti is a god damn beast, it does literally everything haha they cost about $1200 dollarydoos down here in Aus :(

1 Like

Ethics is something I hadn't considered, it must have slipped my mind. Brownie points to you.
Yes, it's very important that AMD delivers on all fronts this time around, or else I see them having a very difficult time recovering. And I agree that it has to be comparable to Nvidia and Intel. I'm not even expecting AMD to be better than Intel/Nvidia. I just want it to be close. And hopefully they don't have many issues with drivers, because that could be crippling to AMD even catching up.

Thanks for your input!