Asdf

asdfsdcasdcasdcdascdasdcasd

10 Likes

24 hours

Is the culture of Apple, from your perspective, one that is hostile to people like Jessa Jones and Louis Rossmann? Or is this a miss understanding?

How do you like working as a service technician?

The home button on recent iphones require a pairing for the fingerprint sensor to work.
Are they any other pieces i should worry about if i were to replace them?

Ty

Any war stories?

What’s the worst example of technological torture you’ve encountered? Stuff that makes you almost have mechanical sympathy for the machine?

I have a 2015 Macbook Pro and was wondering if you’ve ever performed either a key replacement or an outright keyboard replacement on a Macbook of the same era/generation? Thanks for doing this thread, it’s a great way to get your knowledge out there and increase community engagement!

Having done the work for a number of years, do you feel that how the devices are made to be difficult to repair is right/fair?

Batteries batteries and old phones security patches. ? My iphone 4S is a decent phone. Why e-waste a perfect phone ?

How about I bought the Tom Tom Australia app for $100AUD with lifetime updates and less than a decade later Im dumped on updates ?

So the actual problem is the left shift and command keys no longer work, and I was hoping to have them repaired relatively quickly for not too much cash, but it sounds like it’ll have to be. I’ll go ahead and keep an eye out for the Apple repairs though since it sounds like a ton of work otherwise. Thanks for answering @RotaryWombat!

Someone give this member a badge will ya?

Id recommend watching Louis Rossmann do a replacement on the keyboard just so you get an idea of what must be done. The replacement keyboard costs like 30USD and the tool will also be about 30-USD in the end. Alternatively, you can look into getting a used top-case off of ebay so you only have to swap over the logic board, IO board, LCD, and a few small bits. Downside is that youll have to find one that isnt liquid damaged and has decent battery and its not always easy to tell from the pictures or descriptions.

1 Like

I had heard a lot of people recommend that actually from when I looked it up before. I forgot all about Rossman! I’ll watch one of his videos to see if it would be worth the time and energy, otherwise, having a professional Apple tech work on it does make me feel a little bit more at ease… Thanks again!

Fair enough, and with the apple top case you do also get 90-days worth of warranty, which can add resale value and will get rid of any dents yours has. Usually turn-around time is fairly quick at AASP’s but it does take a few days since we are not allowed to stock parts on-hand. APple ships them in within 1-2 business days.

Also, another protip. If your machines display antiglare coating is starting to come off, then itll also qualify for new display free of charge. clean your display thoroughly and see if you can see any outline of your trackpad, or keyboard keys, or any other bits that just do not come off no matter how much you clean. Easy way to get another new part

1 Like

The battery on my stepdads laptop died, He replaced it with a offbrand replacement.
It is a macbook laptop from 2010 ish, But the thing wont start without holding down the power button for some time. And the fans are running quite loudly.

Can i asume there is no trick to replacing the battery, And thus it is likely the problem is the charging not the battery?
And that the need to hold down the power button to start it is that the laptop wont start with a flat battery? even with the cable in.
And holding down the power button boots it into some sort of rescue mode?
And is this why the fans are running loudly?

Ty again :grin:

If you’re a rossman customer its 100% from liquid damage.

do apple techs wipe sitting or standing?

With cheap batteries, sometimes they can actually kill the sensors related to battery voltage/current and that would easily cause your weird issues. no liquid involved. Same with cheap aftermarket adapters, they can also kill the SMC and other things.

Wiping is considered “unauthorized maintenance” so we have to exchange our entire body and data-transfer our memories with Time Machine

2 Likes

OH lawdy, if there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching Rossman’s streams its that the answer is to always reball the SMC.

What interaction, if any, do you have face to face with Apple customers? Any interesting tales to tell?

1 Like

Most of the interactions with Apple customers are
“Apple told us that you guys can service old models that they don’t” and then they come in expecting us to do stuff but we can’t do what Apple tells them 80% of the time.

I’ve had one very entitled customer who demanded to get Apple batteries from us for their 6S. He came in with multiple devices and was expecting a 15min job for each. We told him it takes about an hour per device (it’s generally half that but in case shit goes wrong having extra is great). He then kept demanding hat we give him the batteries. We had to explain to him that the only way we can give the $29 (at the time) price is if we ship the old batteries back to Apple and that were also forbidden from selling Apple parts like that. He reluctantly agreed to get both phones done and we told him 2 hours. I manage to get through one, then he comes in all pissed expecting both done. We charged him for one battery, and the second we just gave him so he can get out of there.

We get a lot of entitled and/or misinformed customers

1 Like

Why did you write customer twice here? /jk